Analysis Danger on Tim Kelly + his 2020 contract

What would be an adequate trade for Tim Kelly?

• Brad AND Steven Hill from Fremantle

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Someone from West Coast

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Two top-end draft picks

Votes: 88 62.4%
  • Top-end draft pick and player

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • Other (please specify) ______________

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Club should drop Kelly for constable for Friday’s final.

He’s obviously not playing for the club anymore and we need to show constable we’re serious about keeping him into 2020 and beyond.

ThePuma #9

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, FC Barcelona
You come on here after last night is brave ... but clearly this is biased.

I dont want to go thru and address this line by line I will simply say ..if you go shopping for a Ferrari .. and then tell then salesman ..you have to take Mazda5 money cause its all we have.. then what happens.. the sale doesn't occur. In the afl you know you have us because of the system and are not being anything but hard to deal with.

Back in the days... before futures... we wanted Brad Ottens. Rich wanted 2 R1's. Sorry Rich we can only give you what we have... too bad go and find one.
So we traded a player.. and then we had what they wanted. Just like you could... so do not tell me this only what we have inward looking self back patting we are good guys drool. You have over and over made the sitaution hard here.. you could have had it done last year by trading what you had .. a future R1...

To try to make the deal happen with less than value means you are capatitalising on the situation ..you are being hard to deal with..

Perhaps we didn’t expect him to take the leaps and bounds he has this year and that’s what our club valued him at last year?

I would have given the extra pick and been done with it myself. He is definitely worth more this year, he’s had an amazing year. I’m not disputing any of that. I bet they wish they did the trade now.

We’ve hardly made this hard over and over. To this point there’s only been one trade period of negotiations. Let’s see how it goes, maybe WC can find more. I don’t know.

Time will tell, it’s all hypotheticals until then and he hasn’t even said he’s leaving atm or even choosing us. We all love our clubs and bigfooty is a great way to fly the flag but it’s also a great place to talk hypotheticals. I’ve always found the Geelong faithful to be level headed to talk to, a lot more than some other clubs.

I mean no disrespect and if you have been offended then let me say that was never my intention. All I was doing is stating that we are not a notorious hard club to trade with and I think IF kelly leaves both clubs will get a deal done.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Perhaps we didn’t expect him to take the leaps and bounds he has this year and that’s what our club valued him at last year?

I would have given the extra pick and been done with it myself. He is definitely worth more this year, he’s had an amazing year. I’m not disputing any of that. I bet they wish they did the trade now.

We’ve hardly made this hard over and over. To this point there’s only been one trade period of negotiations. Let’s see how it goes, maybe WC can find more. I don’t know.

Time will tell, it’s all hypotheticals until then and he hasn’t even said he’s leaving atm or even choosing us. We all love our clubs and bigfooty is a great way to fly the flag but it’s also a great place to talk hypotheticals. I’ve always found the Geelong faithful to be level headed to talk to, a lot more than some other clubs.

I mean no disrespect and if you have been offended then let me say that was never my intention. All I was doing is stating that we are not a notorious hard club to trade with and I think IF kelly leaves both clubs will get a deal done.
I can’t be arsed reading this dribble.

If your club won’t come to the table with a fair offer (no, pick 20 this year and next isn’t a fair offer) then don’t offer Kelly a contract you know you can’t make happen.

If he wants to go home, he can go for a fair deal, or WCE can disappoint him by not drafting him once again at the end of the year.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

And again last year indicated otherwise

Last edited by a moderator:
Club should drop Kelly for constable for Friday’s final.

He’s obviously not playing for the club anymore and we need to show constable we’re serious about keeping him into 2020 and beyond.

Don't think too many would go with that strategy.

I’m worried about the conflict of interest in all honesty from him

Has he signed a contract with WCE already?

He is still a Geelong player and a professional athlete, so how about we give him enough credit that when he runs out on Friday night that he will give it his all and do his job

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Has he signed a contract with WCE already?

He is still a Geelong player and a professional athlete, so how about we give him enough credit that when he runs out on Friday night that he will give it his all and do his job
Feel free to do so

Personally I think he will be a liability

No evidence of this....14 kicks, 14 handballs, 7 tackles, 7 inside 50's, 4 score involvements while copping plenty of attention isn't indicative of a player who made no effort.

We had plenty of others who deserve far more scrutiny over their performance than Kelly....including the coaches box.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
You just can't offer a bloke $5M over 6 years and offer up ridiculous unders at the trade table for a second year running and try and hope the 'homesickness' card gets the trade over the line. 'Can't trade what you don't have' is just a piss weak excuse, either find it or move aside and let Freo complete a deal.

eagle eyed

Team Captain
Nov 1, 2013
As far from Freo as possible
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Football Club, Liverpool FC,
Its a different attitude for a recent player... but all care no risk from him though..

Nick Riewoldt says Geelong should take the best deal for Tim Kelly
As Geelong braces for Tim Kelly to formally request a trade at the end of the season, former Saints captain Nick Riewoldt says the Cats should trade him to whichever West Australian club offers the best deal.

Former St Kilda skipper Nick Riewoldt says Geelong is entitled to take the best deal for Tim Kelly regardless of whether he nominates West Coast as his club of choice.
As the Herald Sun revealed this week, Kelly is set to request a trade to the Eagles at the end of the season, adamant family happiness trumps his future premiership aspirations at Geelong.

West Coast’s contract offer is expected to be a six-year contract that could earn him nearly $5 million over the course of the deal.

However, the Eagles may be hard pressed to satisfy Geelong in a trade after their interest was rebuffed last year when West Coast offered picks 20, 22 and a future draft selection.

Kelly last year resisted a trade to Fremantle, which will again hold a strong hand.

The Dockers will have pick six in the draft unless Gold Coast is granted a priority pick, which would push their first selection to pick seven.

Brad Hill’s expected return to Victoria and Ed Langdon’s mooted switch to Melbourne are likely to net a first and second-round pick.

“I just wonder whether it’s a time for a football club like Geelong to take a stand,” Riewoldt said on Fox Footy.

“They took a stand last year and he stayed for another year.

“But I am not questioning the veracity of Tim Kelly’s desire to get home and the reasons and the family reasons and that’s a complex issue. I absolutely understand that.”

He added: “If Fremantle are going to provide the better option and the better trade for Geelong, I think it’s time for clubs to stand their ground a bit and get the best deal.”
Ummm, sorry Nick, but it does not matter what Freo offer if Tim won’t sign the contract. Players get to the club of their choice. If Tim chooses to stay at Geelong he will, if he chooses WC he’ll get there, similarly if he chooses Freo he’ll get there. Tim holds the pen and ultimately Geelong and his possible destination club will work something out. Must be tough for some ex-players to never see their club nominated, then again who’d ever nominate StK.

Ummm, sorry Nick, but it does not matter what Freo offer if Tim won’t sign the contract. Players get to the club of their choice. If Tim chooses to stay at Geelong he will, if he chooses WC he’ll get there, similarly if he chooses Freo he’ll get there. Tim holds the pen and ultimately Geelong and his possible destination club will work something out. Must be tough for some ex-players to never see their club nominated, then again who’d ever nominate StK.
To get to West Coast he will need to be traded through a deal acceptable to Geelong. What Freo offers is relevant because it is at least a frame of reference for his trade value and will potentially be Kelly’s only pathway to “go home” if West Coast can’t satisfy Geelong.

We won’t see Tim and manager so silly to rule Freo out so early this time around.

ChappyUK

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Podcaster Pokemon is Life Pantskyle
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.
Im not so sure anymore, we could have folded like superman on laundry day last year but we didn't and knowing his improvement this year and what he is worth I expect us to be just as firm if not firmer with negotiations this year. Remember this is a guy who has already won the Best Young Player Award, All Australian selection, will probably poll very well in Brownlow and possibly win a BnF, if we let him go for nothing we are crazy regardless of contract status.

Due to the circumstance I’m sure this has the full attention of the AFL and AFLPA. Eagles won’t be allowed to totally rip us off

eagle eyed

Team Captain
Nov 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
To get to West Coast he will need to be traded through a deal acceptable to Geelong. What Freo offers is relevant because it is at least a frame of reference for his trade value and will potentially be Kelly’s only pathway to “go home” if West Coast can’t satisfy Geelong.

We won’t see Tim and manager so silly to rule Freo out so early this time around.
Your reasoning is fair enough, but if you read my first line it says if Tim won’t sign the contract. Geelong can’t force him to go to Freo if he doesn’t want to go there just like your employer can’t force you to go work at the local Maccas. I’m sure a deal will be done, WC fans will think we’re paying too much and Cats fans will think it’s not enough. I’d pay this and next years 1st rnd picks without an issue as I reckon he’ll have a bigger impact at WC next year than he has at Geelong. Shuey, Gaff, Yeo and Kelly with Sheed & Redden playing 5th & 6th banana sounds pretty good to me. It’d definitely have us right in the frame for 2020.

Your reasoning is fair enough, but if you read my first line it says if Tim won’t sign the contract. Geelong can’t force him to go to Freo if he doesn’t want to go there just like your employer can’t force you to go work at the local Maccas. I’m sure a deal will be done, WC fans will think we’re paying too much and Cats fans will think it’s not enough. I’d pay this and next years 1st rnd picks without an issue as I reckon he’ll have a bigger impact at WC next year than he has at Geelong. Shuey, Gaff, Yeo and Kelly with Sheed & Redden playing 5th & 6th banana sounds pretty good to me. It’d definitely have us right in the frame for 2020.
I mean, “if Tim won’t sign the contract” is about as relevant as “if Geelong won’t sign the trade paperwork”. Both are hypothetically possible but extremely remote (in terms of actual outcomes) and not that instructive to the likely outcome. There’s a lot of factors at play and one of them is the fact there’s a 2nd club in Perth. It can’t be dismissed as irrelevant.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

I have said as much often... but a serious offer from Freo could complicate the situation. In the end WC doesnt need Kelly and they can play the trade period with minimal downside ... what is slowly gaining traction is that the players have an overly strong hand in trade destination. Thats the guts of the article.

eagle eyed

Team Captain
Nov 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I mean, “if Tim won’t sign the contract” is about as relevant as “if Geelong won’t sign the trade paperwork”. Both are hypothetically possible but extremely remote (in terms of actual outcomes) and not that instructive to the likely outcome. There’s a lot of factors at play and one of them is the fact there’s a 2nd club in Perth. It can’t be dismissed as irrelevant.
There were obviously reasons he wasn’t keen on going to Freo last year and those reasons may still be at the club. If he does nominate WC it may not be about money or potential success, it may be because going to Freo is untenable. Yes Freo can bid and Geelong can accept but if he feels going to Freo is not what he wants then he won’t sign, just as most people wouldn’t in the same position. Again, I believe a deal will be done that satisfies both clubs, whether it satisfies the fans is another question.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
There were obviously reasons he wasn’t keen on going to Freo last year and those reasons may still be at the club. If he does nominate WC it may not be about money or potential success, it may be because going to Freo is untenable. Yes Freo can bid and Geelong can accept but if he feels going to Freo is not what he wants then he won’t sign, just as most people wouldn’t in the same position. Again, I believe a deal will be done that satisfies both clubs, whether it satisfies the fans is another question.

What you may find though ..is if Geelong get the feeling that they are not being treated fairly ..they will run the gauntlet ...with the underlying feeling that he will sign with us for another year rather than risk a draft outcome..
The comparison to a normal job is not clear... some may compare signing up to a organised business like the AFL is similar to joining the army.. and if the players join the afl and its systemsyou agree to be sent anywhere within that system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back