Analysis Danger on Tim Kelly + his 2020 contract

What would be an adequate trade for Tim Kelly?

• Brad AND Steven Hill from Fremantle

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Someone from West Coast

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Two top-end draft picks

Votes: 88 62.4%
  • Top-end draft pick and player

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • Other (please specify) ______________

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with all of this, except the low balling. Geelong is being ridiculous with how much they are asking for a trade.

So you can either deal with WCE and be reasonable about what you are willing to accept to make a trade happen, or Kelly goes to trade and ends up at either Freo or West Coast and Geelong get nothing.

Reasonable .....we put forth his worth if you can’t find the pics I’m sure Freo can

WCE just want him cheaply and won’t pay his worth ...that’s just the reality of it.

Gone from we need to consider TK family’s welfare and trade him to WCE to Wah Wah the price is too high big bad Cats are not being reasonable

Is it the meth in the water up there that makes them so stupid?

Hang on a second. You guys drafted him knowing what his situation was. It is the lack of support from YOUR club that makes him want to leave and come back to Perth. There are two AFL clubs in Perth. We are trying to help out, but can only offer what we can offer.

It was actually 2 early second round picks (20 + 22) and a future second. I personally wish we had given you our future first as well, but unfortunately, I'm not the list manager.

If you didn't keep changing what you wanted, it might've been done. In all honesty, you were never going to trade him to begin with. The point I'm making is that Tim being out of contract gives you a lot less leverage in trade talks, as what happens to any club with an uncontracted player wanting out - why do you think clubs have taken to trading players before they are OOC? Look at Wingard or Shiel. This all means that both you and us have to meet at the middle.

And taking Tim in the draft, if he went there, would be an incredibly immoral thing to do, for any club. We're talking about a player who needs to go home for family support, and wants to only to be in WA. If Geelong couldn't give him enough support, I'm not sure why any club thinks they could do better. Teams wouldn't be looking at him purely from a stand point of "what would make us better", they would be thinking "we would look like absolute pricks if we pick him up, and it's highly likely it won't work out". Clubs have to consider other things apart from their self interest.

The deal was there to be done .. you mention what you would have done above. A club with picks, players and the desire get it done , what WC had to do was ask us what we wanted to get the deal done ..and supply it. You were told we wanted an early R1 pick ..and to go and get it.. The desire was not really so keen then ..no easy job getting that pick last year.. so we shuffled to try to get it done..even though our main desire was a pick early enough to get King...and still a deal was too tightly held back. I agree shame you were not the list manager..

This immoral thing ..you really need to back the truck up. Tell me what the distance is from Freo to WCoast. You play on the same ground.. That particular logic gos out the door when you start selecting clubs. ..which is fine .. player have say like that but do not blend the two things.

If you want to talk about self interest ..then look at why you could not get the deal done to make it happen. Multiple players on you list would have created the picks required... so dont start with high and morally superior thing ... the system is crook from the start with the draft ..and clubs and players have to work with in it .. I feel you have very parochial way of looking at it .. as some linked articles show , far from being though of as poor .. most media here actually think geelong should neg hard. So if we are thought of as being repugnant in WA .. well I guess we will live with that.

All this is rather pointless and posturing ..cause the most likely outcome is a deal is done ...after all with this long to plan WC should have a heap of picks organaised. Please tell me you have worked out what you are doing this time.

Last edited:
Hang on a second. You guys drafted him knowing what his situation was. It is the lack of support from YOUR club that makes him want to leave and come back to Perth. There are two AFL clubs in Perth. We are trying to help out, but can only offer what we can offer.

Yeah heard this line a heap too. When we wanted Brad Ottens we went and traded a player to get 2R1 picks. These days your have future picks as well... Lets hope you get an early pick for Petrochelle ..and it make it work for everyone..

Hang on you’re coming on here and blasting the club for the lack of support??

How much support did you give to your meth addicted players back in the day? Or did you just turn a blind eye because you had a flag?

Don’t come on here preaching about support when you have SFA idea of what GFC have provided to the family.

Yeah heard this line a heap too. When we wanted Brad Ottens we went and traded a player to get 2R1 picks. These days your have future picks as well... Lets hope you get an early pick for Petrochelle ..and it make it work for everyone..

Look, I'm not on WCE list management team, but the offer is the offer and Geelong should accept it, instead of holding a family with young kids that need support to ransom in pursuit of a flag.

Tim has openly said our support this year in particular has been very good.

As I understand it the issue all along has been Caitlin, not Tim.

If you really want him you'll come up with a reasonable offer, not the half baked proposal you put up last year.

Two first rounders and a late second rounder should do it. That is what Freo is prepared to stump up so the talk on the streets goes.

If Tim is genuine about his return to WA and respectful of what we've done for him he'll go to the club that offers us the best deal and although he might prefer the Eagles that 'better offer' may well be from Freo.

Tim has openly said our support this year in particular has been very good.

As I understand it the issue all along has been Caitlin, not Tim.

If you really want him you'll come up with a reasonable offer, not the half baked proposal you put up last year.

Two first rounders and a late second rounder should do it. That is what Freo is prepared to stump up so the talk on the streets goes.

If Tim is genuine about his return to WA and respectful of what we've done for him he'll go to the club that offers us the best deal and although he might prefer the Eagles that 'better offer' may well be from Freo.

We don't trade players that don't want to leave, we can't just move players down the street to get the picks like a Victorian team. We have what we have.

We don't trade players that don't want to leave, we can't just move players down the street to get the picks like a Victorian team. We have what we have.
Well tough luck you want the player you’ll have to find a way

Otherwise if Freo gets the required Oics guess who we will be dealing with and none of your whinging or wailing will change that.

You have several players that would be moved if you wanted to ...you delist players every year.. You are not the West Coast Angels..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, I'm not on WCE list management team, but the offer is the offer and Geelong should accept it, instead of holding a family with young kids that need support to ransom in pursuit of a flag.

Nah mate, WC have 38 players and 8 picks. You have plenty to offer. This ain't Gumtree, go elsewhere if you want to lowball. Coming on this board and telling us we should be grateful? How about you GTFO

We missed out on having him in our team this year. I reckon you will get the same or less than what we offered last year (which was a fair trade) on the basis that a) He is out of contract at the end of the year, and b) Your club will look like crap if you don't deal with us and keeping a guy in Victoria given his family needs support due to their situation.

You can’t be serious. Ban this guy on sight next time please mods. What an absolute tool bag.

We missed out on having him in our team this year. I reckon you will get the same or less than what we offered last year (which was a fair trade) on the basis that a) He is out of contract at the end of the year, and b) Your club will look like crap if you don't deal with us and keeping a guy in Victoria given his family needs support due to their situation.
Apparently it was our responsibility to meet the Gold Coast's demands to bring Ablett home when he was going through pretty serious family problems, surely you can't be suggesting it's once again Geelong's responsibility to let him go cheaply to the Eagles?

It should be the club who has been waving a fat contract in his face ever since his first game in Geelong colours that needs to come to the party and just hand over what he's worth. Come on, time to do the right thing, get Tim and his family home. ;)

You hang on. TK entered the draft and at the time advised all clubs he was happy to move.

Next, we are not holding him to some sort of ransom, he only wanted to go "home" to perth as long as it was to WC. Last time I looked at a map, Freo was geographically close. TK obviously didn't want to go home that bad, as he refused freo and instead preferred to stay in Geelong.

If TK so badly needs to get home to Perth then he will entertain Freo.

All this homesickeness excuse goes out the window when he refuses to go to one of the Perth clubs.

If you again, offer unders, we have no alternative other than to trade with Freo who does have the currency.

Geelong get value - tick
TK gets to go home to perth - tick

The only way we should be forced to deal with only one Perth club is if that club has an amazingly better children's health/medical department that can help with TK's kids. Since the reason to go back is for them, then that should be the decider. NOT for footy reasons. That is the only thing they can put on the table to outweigh the best deal GFC can get.
As said above, the boxes get ticked.

if it comes to that

You don’t have a clue. Please * off

What happened to WCE not trading players that don't want to leave - because isn't basically what we did with Menzel, Murdoch & Thurlow last year: "it's not that we don't want to keep you but we think it would be better if you looked at other options..."

EAGLES DUO IN LIMBO

The future of premiership Eagles Chris Masten and Will Schofield have been told they’re free to explore their trade options with their West Coast futures set to only become clearer after the club’s 2019 campaign ends, reports AFL Media.

Masten and Schofield were integral members of West Coast’s 2018 premiership side, but both players have spent some time in the WAFL this season.

Both 30-year-old players are unrestricted free agents at season’s end.

AFL Media reported on Wednesday that Schofield and Masten could be offered one-year deals, but the Eagles have also given them the green light to suss out rival clubs — if they want — if they believe their futures aren’t at the Eagles.

The duo both featured in the recent elimination final win over Essendon at Optus Stadium, with Masten finishing with 21 disposals and eight marks while Schofield stood tall on the last line of defence.

Masten, Pick 3 in the 2007 draft, has played just 16 games for the Eagles in 2019, while Schofield has only managed 13.

Not quite sure what your point is cats_09.

The 2 players have been told they're free to try and get the best deal they possibly can as they are 30 years of age and have slipped down the order.

Hats off to the club for looking after them and letting them get the most out of their limited playing future.

There's every chance that they may not be on our roster by the time final teams have been published. It would be a shame to leave them hanging if they can get a better deal elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back