Analysis Danger on Tim Kelly + his 2020 contract

What would be an adequate trade for Tim Kelly?

• Brad AND Steven Hill from Fremantle

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Someone from West Coast

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Two top-end draft picks

Votes: 88 62.4%
  • Top-end draft pick and player

Votes: 24 17.0%
  • Other (please specify) ______________

Votes: 12 8.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
FYI, from The West: https://thewest.com.au/sport/geelon...tic-to-tim-kellys-home-request-ng-b881097737z

Patrick Dangerfield says West Coast’s billing as the best team in the AFL was a factor in Geelong’s inability to get a deal done to send Tim Kelly back to WA.

Kelly requested a switch back to his native state during last year’s trade period, but his management was adamant the first-year sensation would only play for the Eagles and not Fremantle.

Geelong and West Coast were ultimately unable to agree to terms, leaving the 24-year-old to see out the second and final year of his contract at the Cattery.

As an Eagles fan, I hope we can get a deal done for 2020, but its watch this space ......

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
You would assume a deal will get done if he wants to return back to WA following this season.

Just too many variables at present how will he play this season
- what value will he hold post season
- west coast Results
- Geelong Results
- other teams coming into the conversation perhaps he doe's not love geelong but a melbourne club might have the $$$$ and a nice port melbourne apartment for him.

12 months is a long time in footy

Last season was just not enough notice to get a trade done with two clubs not highly motivated to get a deal done.

Gaff re-signing with W.C probably played into the scenario as well.

Hopefully Tim and his manager can be professional and the rest will take care of itself at the end of the season when he is not a contracted player.

It's a business now

Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
He can go where he wants if he helps land a flag this year. That's what keeping him helped with. It improved our chance of a premiership this season. Sound decision.

Next year? We'll solve that riddle once we see how the season pans out. Cant see Kelly staying, but if plays another cracking year he deserves a pay day somewhere.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Safe to say Danger was being more than a bit diplomatic, considering the rag he was talking to.

The biggest reason a deal couldn't get done last year is you weren't willing to part with even one first round pick. This in exchange for a first year player who jumped straight into polling 13 Brownlow votes and finishing second in the Carji Greeves (for reference West Coasts top Brownlow vote getters were Gaff with 16 and Yeo with 15, Kelly would have been third).

But after you've passed on him time and again, confident he'll make his own way home, we still will most likely have to accept a deal where he goes home for significantly less than he's worth.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
FYI, from The West: https://thewest.com.au/sport/geelon...tic-to-tim-kellys-home-request-ng-b881097737z

Patrick Dangerfield says West Coast’s billing as the best team in the AFL was a factor in Geelong’s inability to get a deal done to send Tim Kelly back to WA.

Kelly requested a switch back to his native state during last year’s trade period, but his management was adamant the first-year sensation would only play for the Eagles and not Fremantle.

Geelong and West Coast were ultimately unable to agree to terms, leaving the 24-year-old to see out the second and final year of his contract at the Cattery.

As an Eagles fan, I hope we can get a deal done for 2020, but its watch this space ......

Obviously WC being the reigning premier played a part, so they are a strong side and they didnt have any early R1 picks.. so did his form thru the year , 2nd in our B&F and the fact that he played the go home card and it got trumped by not entertaining a Fremantle move ..so in the end WC and Geelong could not agree on value .. it was mostly that WC would not trade what Geelong wanted for a contracted player as for the right price he would now be a WC player. Yes another season and lets see how in pans out.

Safe to say Danger was being more than a bit diplomatic, considering the rag he was talking to.

The biggest reason a deal couldn't get done last year is you weren't willing to part with even one first round pick. This in exchange for a first year player who jumped straight into polling 13 Brownlow votes and finishing second in the Carji Greeves (for reference West Coasts top Brownlow vote getters were Gaff with 16 and Yeo with 15, Kelly would have been third).

But after you've passed on him time and again, confident he'll make his own way home, we still will most likely have to accept a deal where he goes home for significantly less than he's worth.

Exactly! WCE chose to recruit other players ahead of Kelly in 2017 + 2018. I think Kelly will play out of his skin this season to improve his value, but it irritates me that Geelong might lose in the trade, just hope they remain firm as in 2018.

Jun 26, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If WC dont want to offer much, would the AFL compensation pick be any good? Im happy for him to go if he wants to, would be nice if it got done without people complaining about the club to the papers though.

What else could Dangerfield say? As AFLPA president he has to be sympathetic and as a footballer who wanted out of Adelaide to come home, he can't be seen as hypocritical

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I think he enjoys playing in Geelong with the 'names', I think he will have a bigger year this year. If he didn't have his family / mother in law, he'd be happy to stay, but he does have them so they have to be factored in.

He would have fulfilled his contract at the end of the season, he doesn't need to do any more than that. A trade will still need to be done though.

A lot of water to go under the bridge. I'll be an interested onlooker into how it all plays out.

Geelong in the end made the right decision for the football club for this season.

If WC dont want to offer much, would the AFL compensation pick be any good? Im happy for him to go if he wants to, would be nice if it got done without people complaining about the club to the papers though.

Kelly isn't a free agent, so the AFL won't get involved in the trade other than mediation if it gets to that stage

If no trade is done and Kelly decides not to re-sign with Geelong, then he would be delisting himself & have to enter the draft - that would make him free to any team who wishes to draft him, and not exclusively available to WCE

While there's only one team in contention for his services( W/C )neither Geelong or Tim will be offered true value,Geelong should put a decent offer on the table, the tight arse Eagles might just f--k this up again.

I really, really want Geelong to play hard, like last season. If WC fail to offer an acceptable deal, or Geelong refuse a WC offer, then is Kelly is off to the the draft? + we receive an AFL compensation pick? Can WC then recruit Kelly from the Draft?

Either way, will Geelong lose out?

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Kelly isn't a free agent, so the AFL won't get involved in the trade other than mediation if it gets to that stage

If no trade is done and Kelly decides not to re-sign with Geelong, then he would be delisting himself & have to enter the draft - that would make him free to any team who wishes to draft him, and not exclusively available to WCE
Which makes one wonder how Caitlin feels about the Gold Coast...

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I really, really want Geelong to play hard, like last season. If WC fail to offer an acceptable deal, or Geelong refuse a WC offer, then is Kelly is off to the the draft? + we receive an AFL compensation pick? Can WC then recruit Kelly from the Draft?

Either way, will Geelong lose out?
If no trade happens then TK enters the draft and we get nothing (probably WC also won't get him if this happens).

The only way we get compo from the AFL is if they make a rule up on the fly - sad to say this is not to be entirely ruled out.

Which makes one wonder how Caitlin feels about the Gold Coast...

Oh Landgraft! That is just brilliant! Made me snork!
Snork-2.gif

BTW about Caitlin

Zipped Mouth-Smaller.jpg

^^^ that's me lol

If no trade happens then TK enters the draft and we get nothing (probably WC also won't get him if this happens).

The only way we get compo from the AFL is if they make a rule up on the fly - sad to say this is not to be entirely ruled out.

Of course! Silly me! The bottom ladder teams have first pick *brain fade*

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
The other possibility is that he plays in cruise/preservation mode, marking time until he can move west. Some advantages in doing this, for him and WCE.
He has arguably already proven his value.

He had a good year in 2018, no doubt, but will he suffer the second year blue's? Many do.

Truly good players reproduce great efforts each and every year. Whether Kelly can back it up, and whether he gives it his all - 2 separate issues - remains to be seen.

He had a good year in 2018, no doubt, but will he suffer the second year blue's? Many do.

Truly good players reproduce great efforts each and every year. Whether Kelly can back it up, and whether he gives it his all - 2 separate issues - remains to be seen.
And there is the theory that first year players who do well do so because they fly under the radar

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
I'm glad we stuck to our guns on the potential 2018 trade deal - even though it weakens our position should it come up again this year it sent a clear message to other Clubs that we won't be bent over the barrel as we have done in the past - that can only be good for the future :thumbsu:

Tim looks very happy to be a Cat so if the home situation improves with his sister being there or the family integrates further into the community this year who knows what the situation might be at years end?
On the playing front let's hope he cuts it up again this season and demands more opposition attention - that can only be a good thing as we have enough midfield quality to do damage if let off the chain :)

The other possibility is that he plays in cruise/preservation mode, marking time until he can move west. Some advantages in doing this, for him and WCE.
He has arguably already proven his value.
Really? I tend to think Kelly will play a blistering year to improve his value + ask for more $$$ from WC.

I'm glad we stuck to our guns on the potential 2018 trade deal - even though it weakens our position should it come up again this year it sent a clear message to other Clubs that we won't be bent over the barrel as we have done in the past - that can only be good for the future :thumbsu:

Tim looks very happy to be a Cat so if the home situation improves with his sister being there or the family integrates further into the community this year who knows what the situation might be at years end?
On the playing front let's hope he cuts it up again this season and demands more opposition attention - that can only be a good thing as we have enough midfield quality to do damage if let off the chain :)

THIS! THIS! THIS!

MORE OF THIS! THIS! THIS!

Cattergirl

Team Captain
Jun 26, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Really? I tend to think Kelly will play a blistering year to improve his value + ask for more $$$ from WC.
Over Christmas Caitlin admitted on her Instagram story that she was finding it much better having Tim’s cousin around. Not saying it will make any difference to her desire to want to return home at the end of the season, but she does seem much happier than last year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back