Opinion Dangerfield and his poor kicking

Remove this Banner Ad

Things this thread proves:

- You can’t be a good player if you’ve ever had a bad half of a game. Don Bradman was clearly s**t, highlighted by his run-less effort in his most recent match.

- if you make a lot of mistakes with the ball, the fact that you get it more often than 99.9 per cent of the competition is irrelevant.

- if there is any flaw at all on your game, you are, undoubtedly, crap at it. Hence Mohammad Ali was crap at boxing. ‘Well if you look at his landed punch percentage when trying to connect with crouching fighters who bob and weave like Frazier, it’s very low. So he’s no superstar.’

Just facts more than anything.

paddy clangers is not analogous with the likes of bradman and ali.

a very very good player at his best yet but a tier down from the true great mids of the modern era. had one year as the standout player of the comp, just like many others have.

Things this thread proves:

- You can’t be a good player if you’ve ever had a bad half of a game. Don Bradman was clearly s**t, highlighted by his run-less effort in his most recent match.

- if you make a lot of mistakes with the ball, the fact that you get it more often than 99.9 per cent of the competition is irrelevant.

- if there is any flaw at all on your game, you are, undoubtedly, crap at it. Hence Mohammad Ali was crap at boxing. ‘Well if you look at his landed punch percentage when trying to connect with crouching fighters who bob and weave like Frazier, it’s very low. So he’s no superstar.’

Just facts more than anything.
No one mentioned he is cap except for you. Your words mate.

paddy clangers is not analogous with the likes of bradman and ali.

a very very good player at his best yet but a tier down from the true great mids of the modern era. had one year as the standout player of the comp, just like many others have.

Sorry but he is.

I must have read two dozen posts, perhaps not in as many words but intimating at least, that his second half in the prelim final somehow makes him s**t.

Using this logic, going missing in any big game for a period, even if you’ve dominated half of it, would also be true. Therefore the analogy stands.

You only really have 3 options, 1. be an elite clearance player 2. be an elite ball user or 3. Be Gary Ablett jnr. That's what makes Gary so special and above the rest as he's the only footballer that's above average to elite in almost all categories.

It's that kick inside 50 when is running away from the center square at speed, where he absolutely butchers the ball.

Predominately, he either:

1) skanks the shot at goal on the run, or
2) overcooks the kick to a teammate inside the 50m arc

It happens time and time again

For comparison, the best I have ever seen at either hitting a teammate lace out or nailing the goal whilst running at top speed was Jason Akermanis

It's a pretty difficult skill, kicking at full pace. Darren Bewick was another that was good at it.

Sorry but he is.

I must have read two dozen posts, perhaps not in as many words but intimating at least, that his second half in the prelim final somehow makes him s**t.

Using this logic, going missing in any big game for a period, even if you’ve dominated half of it, would also be true. Therefore the analogy stands.

This is possibly the dumbest post I have read on this forum. Congrats.

I guess thats why the bay have been calling him Dangershank for years.

Great player to watch, but I am wondering if the running at full pace and kicking from 50 can be practiced at training or its purely instinctive. If he connects 40% of those burst out of the middle shots the Cats should be able to take the next step in 2020.

A lot of people in this thread getting confused about what stat is what.

Clangers doesn't equal turnovers.

Disposal efficiency doesn't equal kicking efficiency.

Regardless, stats don't really measure effectiveness with the ball from inside midfielders regardless of what you try to use. You really need to watch the game for that.

Dangerfield gets the ball and puts it long, with seemingly little thought. Dusty gets the ball and moves it aggressively, typically through the corridor and tries to pick off well thought out kicks. Dusty's kick has a much higher degree of difficulty, with Danger typically taking the safe option.

Every player has their strengths and weaknesses, and typically they play to them. The issue with Dangerfield is that his penchant for playing hero football combines badly with his often times woeful disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Dangerfield had a nicer kick he'd be the best player I've ever seen. He'd be an insane Voss / Akermanis super hybrid. So imo he's doing fine. Still a superstar despite not being perfect.

Thank you. Some common sense.
Let’s have a look at his game.
His marking is basically unmatched by midfielders - Fyfe is the only one who comes close. He’s probably the best part time key forward among midfielders. His goal kicking is actually decent when he’s not at full tilt. His ball winning and extracting is absolutely elite. His tackling is strong as an ox and he breaks tackles himself. He kicks well when he has time. He handpasses very well especially considering he’s usually in a lot of traffic. His engine is huge and he has a huge will to get himself to the next contest. I’d say he’s allowed a weakness

Dangerfield is not a good kick. He is an ok kick at best...but quite regularly shanks his kicks and / or misses relatively straight forward set shots for goal.

He is still elite as a mid which goes to show how good he would be if he was at a minimum a good kick (let alone elite kick).

I love the guns who make their teammates better players. Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge, Voss, Cotchin, Martin...there's a stack of them. They went out of their way to bring their teammates into the game. Would I classify Dangerfield in the same way...nah i don't see it. Maybe it's because I don't see enough Cats games to see him week in, week out. Any cats supporters with a view on this?

He is one of the very best...don't get me wrong.

Dangerfield is not a good kick. He is an ok kick at best...but quite regularly shanks his kicks and / or misses relatively straight forward set shots for goal.

He is still elite as a mid which goes to show how good he would be if he was at a minimum a good kick (let alone elite kick).

I love the guns who make their teammates better players. Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge, Voss, Cotchin, Martin...there's a stack of them. They went out of their way to bring their teammates into the game. Would I classify Dangerfield in the same way...nah i don't see it. Maybe it's because I don't see enough Cats games to see him week in, week out. Any cats supporters with a view on this?

Around the ball he brings teammates into the game yes. Not with kicking over any distance.

Thank you. Some common sense.
Let’s have a look at his game.
His marking is basically unmatched by midfielders - Fyfe is the only one who comes close. He’s probably the best part time key forward among midfielders. His goal kicking is actually decent when he’s not at full tilt. His ball winning and extracting is absolutely elite. His tackling is strong as an ox and he breaks tackles himself. He kicks well when he has time. He handpasses very well especially considering he’s usually in a lot of traffic. His engine is huge and he has a huge will to get himself to the next contest. I’d say he’s allowed a weakness

Fyfe doesn't come just close, he's a better mark. Both this year and across his career.

I would also have Dusty ahead of him in terms of being a part time key forward. Not in a traditional marking sense, but I think if you asked who any defender would hate to be left one-out with they'd probably say Dusty. More reliable kick for goal and can exploit you in more ways.

That said he's probably the most dynamic and explosive midfielder in the game, particularly when it comes to attacking the ball at a stoppage and getting a clearance at speed.

Fyfe doesn't come just close, he's a better mark. Both this year and across his career.

I would also have Dusty ahead of him in terms of being a part time key forward. Not in a traditional marking sense, but I think if you asked who any defender would hate to be left one-out with they'd probably say Dusty. More reliable kick for goal and can exploit you in more ways.

That said he's probably the most dynamic and explosive midfielder in the game, particularly when it comes to attacking the ball at a stoppage and getting a clearance at speed.

Fyfe is an excellent mark but I respectfully disagree.

The point about Martin is relevant because he maybe has more versatility as a forward - like a hybrid small-tall but as a KPF Dangerfield is better imo

It's his relative weakness to others. Every player has their own flaws. Dusty for example doesn't tackle or chase and isn't great overhead

Indeed. Peak Selwood doesn’t mark as well either.

All these areas are probably why Ablett and to an extent Judd stand above them because even their weaknesses weren’t really weaknesses as such (though abletts strength and overhead ability has diminished since he did his shoulder admittedly)

Indeed. Peak Selwood doesn’t mark as well either.

All these areas are probably why Ablett and to an extent Judd stand above them because even their weaknesses weren’t really weaknesses as such (though abletts strength and overhead ability has diminished since he did his shoulder admittedly)

Judd was generally a pretty poor overhead mark throughout his career, which makes sense considering his shoulder woes started early.

No different to when he was drafted, doesn't mean he isn't in the top 3 players in game, it's just a detractor among MANY strengths.

From 2008
Things that would have detracted for Danger in west coasts eye's were decision making on the run, endurance and kicking at full speed not to mention being victorian. Pretty much a harder Wojinski in that regard, awesome pace and able to really run and carry from the backline but stuffs the kick up a lot of the time at full pace.

Danger, Fyfe, Judd... These kinds of players are average kicks in general and are made to look worse when they kick under pressure, which is most of the time given the way they play.

I would actually rate Cotchin as one of the biggest reasons Richmond have been top dog for the last three years. He went from a brownlow medalist, to choosing to kick against the wind, to becoming monstrous again. Goes under the radar. Been very critical of him in the past myself, but he is definitely back to his best - for example Dusty has the awful habit of starting years off horribly, while Cotchin is Mr. Reliable nowadays.

Dangerfield's biggest issue isn't really his kicking TBH. It's his defensive efforts at times. Sometimes he just lets his direct opponent get space and doesn't give two shits - but that's his role, so it can be partially forgiven, I guess? Dusty's the same. You'd be hard pressed to see either player go to the trouble of shepherding for their teammates. Cotchin reliably shepherds in comparison.

You only really have 3 options, 1. be an elite clearance player 2. be an elite ball user or 3. Be Gary Ablett jnr. That's what makes Gary so special and above the rest as he's the only footballer that's above average to elite in almost all categories.
I think Dusty and Tim Kelly meet 1 and 2, though not to the level of GAJ in his prime.

Shuey can also do 1 and 2, but just doesn't get as much of it as the others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back