Dangerfield and that elusive Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there actually anyone in this forum who understands how the media works?

Having written for the second largest print media company in this country for a decade let me give you a little clue.

They sit around in an editorial meeting and say ‘what story angles and ideas have we got today?’

The writers will sit around pitching their story angles. They will call the relevant subjects of those stories and say ‘hey it’s such and such from the Bumf**k Gazette. Just hoping I can have a word to you regarding ————.’

They will then ask questions centred around the angle of their story and get usable quotes and information about said story, and create it with the angle they originally pitched.

Patrick Dangerfield doesn’t get a publicist to put out media releases to alert the world to the fact that he wants to talk about ‘his’ premiership quest.

Even a phrase like ‘he’s well and truly moved past the individual accolades.’

You’re reading into that what you want to read into it. There is nothing implied about him ‘only ever playing for individual accolades.’ It’s a person who knows dangerfield well saying he simply doesn’t care about them. Every player likes individual recognition. At every level. There is no sportsman alive who doesn’t. That doesn’t mean that’s all they care about.

In a first grade cricket grand final I once made 17 (doesn’t sound like much but we were 9-100) and put on 30 with the #11 to get us to 130.

I took 3-34 off 21 overs and we lost by a wicket, 6 days after an epileptic seizure. A whole bunch of neutral spectators from other teams told me afterwards that I deserved to be on the winning team and was the best player involved.

To this day a decade later I’m still shattered we lost. I’m also incredibly proud that I played well and got some individual recognition. A year later we won the grand final against the same opponent by two runs and I had a shocker. I much preferred winning, though. Should I not be proud of the game a year before?

They aren’t mutually exclusive things. Stop looking for things to be hyper critical about because you might not like the guy.

Having written for the second largest print media company in this country for a decade let me give you a little clue.

They sit around in an editorial meeting and say ‘what story angles and ideas have we got today?’

The writers will sit around pitching their story angles. They will call the relevant subjects of those stories and say ‘hey it’s such and such from the Bumf**k Gazette. Just hoping I can have a word to you regarding ————.’

They will then ask questions centred around the angle of their story and get usable quotes and information about said story, and create it with the angle they originally pitched.

Patrick Dangerfield doesn’t get a publicist to put out media releases to alert the world to the fact that he wants to talk about ‘his’ premiership quest.

You’re reading into that what you want to read into it. There is nothing implied about him ‘only ever playing for individual accolades.’ It’s a person who knows dangerfield well saying he simply doesn’t care about them. Every player likes individual recognition. At every level. There is no sportsman alive who doesn’t. That doesn’t mean that’s all they care about.

In a first grade cricket grand final I once made 17 (doesn’t sound like much but we were 9-100) and put on 30 with the #11 to get us to 130.

I took 3-34 off 21 overs and we lost by a wicket, 6 days after an epileptic seizure. A whole bunch of neutral spectators from other teams told me afterwards that I deserved to be on the winning team and was the best player involved.

To this day a decade later I’m still shattered we lost. I’m also incredibly proud that I played well and got some individual recognition. A year later we won the grand final against the same opponent by two runs and I had a shocker. I much preferred winning, though. Should I not be proud of the game a year before?

They aren’t mutually exclusive things. Stop looking for things to be hyper critical about because you might not like the guy.

Stop looking for credibility by talking yourself up . You just sound so desperate fir attention .
All of this in one article:

In first grade cricket .....
2nd largest print media company , for a decade ...
17 with no 11 , you got us to 130 ...
Best player involved ...
Should i not be proud ...

I call BS.

Is that you Kevin Rudd ? it ain’t about you .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Stop looking for credibility by talking yourself up . You just sound so desperate fir attention .
All of this in one article:

In first grade cricket .....
2nd largest print media company , for a decade ...
17 with no 11 , you got us to 130 ...
Best player involved ...
Should i not be proud ...

I call BS.

Is that you Kevin Rudd ? it ain’t about you .

If I was looking for attention I wouldn’t have settled for 17 genius.

I worked for Fairfax. I suppose if I was a doctor and the topic was on whether someone had a serious injury or not, I shouldnt draw on personal experience to have a say?

Whether you like my personal appropriation of the topic or not doesn’t make my point any less valid, sorry to tell you.

Play the ball not the man.

Put this in Google Translate and it came back with:
"Patrick Dangerfield is a very good player and does his best every week."

This gave me an idea. I did the "Turning Japanese" thing to the original text. Then I took that translation and retranslated it into English and got:

"As he roams the Moggs Creek, don't worry that he has his individual awards that can fix them to his inflated breasts."

Made me laugh anyway.

Is that you Lachy??

I was the guy that hit the winning run. Man that was sweet. If you’d only known I couldn’t resist a hook... oh well

I wasn't arguing that it had been just the one game. Martin's record against anyone when it matters in the last 4 years is unarguable. What I'm saying is - and remember, for the 50th time, I don't think Dangerfield is better than Martin - weighing up two players purely on how they go against each other in head to head matches seems stupid because they don't play on each other. And seems more silly when you can see for yourself that Dangerfield hasn't exactly been terrible in those matches.

If you were going to rate, say, 2007 Ablett against 2007 Chris Judd, and based it on when they played each other, and Judd had to contend with Ling who at the time could have locked someone down tighter than Fort Knox, then you would be probably be doing a disservice to Judd because you're comparing two totally different things.

I’m just staggered that Dangerfield wasn’t sent straight to the tribunal for his firearm KO of Vlaustin. Geez , you can Ko a fella by collecting him high , not get reported and not even give a free kick away !

Dangerfield has used up all his luck . He will remain without a premiership. Justice will be served .

I’m just staggered that Dangerfield wasn’t sent straight to the tribunal for his firearm KO of Vlaustin. Geez , you can Ko a fella by collecting him high , not get reported and not even give a free kick away !

Dangerfield has used up all his luck . He will remain without a premiership. Justice will be served .

Yeah an accidental collision, what was he thinking.

And yeah a decade worth of pure luck. He needs a lottery ticket ASAP

Yeah an accidental collision, what was he thinking.

And yeah a decade worth of pure luck. He needs a lottery ticket ASAP
Are you ok ? Why buy a lottery ticket asap when you say he has used up his luck? That'd just be dumb wouldn't it ?

I just said he should've got weeks for knocking someone out with a forearm. No accident. Even the TV commentators ( I've watched the game 19 times , its great) were of the opinion he was in trouble. The radio commentators were sure he would be rubbed out.

Accidental....so not deliberate.... yes old Danger has use du his luck. Maybe he could do another interview with Gerard. We know how shy he is.

Are you ok ? Why buy a lottery ticket asap when you say he has used up his luck? That'd just be dumb wouldn't it ?

I just said he should've got weeks for knocking someone out with a forearm. No accident. Even the TV commentators ( I've watched the game 19 times , its great) were of the opinion he was in trouble. The radio commentators were sure he would be rubbed out.

Accidental....so not deliberate.... yes old Danger has use du his luck. Maybe he could do another interview with Gerard. We know how shy he is.

If you think there was any element of wrongdoing in that incident, this discussion is over.

Does he finally get his premiership?
He says players should not be judged by premiership medallions.

Danger appears to be ready for a big September. Be a bloody shame if he went missing this time around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does he finally get his premiership?
He says players should not be judged by premiership medallions.

Danger appears to be ready for a big September. Be a bloody shame if he went missing this time around.
According to you coach minor premierships should be recognised, so there he goes. He’s a premiership player.

Tbh a big reason why I hope Geelong don't win. Media commentators speak as if he is entitled to one. Whenever they talk that way about a player (usually a media darling too) it makes me not want that to happen. Many great players never win won, it happens. I don't think it has much bearing on their individual legacy. Would Gaz Snr have been a better player if he'd won a premiership? Dont think so. He kicked 10 in a losing granny. There are 18 blokes on your team.

all eyes on GFC that first qualifying final - historically have underwhelmed in this game... 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021. A lot of failures, following the pre-finals bye. I imagine Sydney would be the match up they want to avoid

If they win this game, I reckon they will go all the way

all eyes on GFC that first qualifying final - historically have underwhelmed in this game... 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021. A lot of failures, following the pre-finals bye. I imagine Sydney would be the match up they want to avoid

If they win this game, I reckon they will go all the way

I just want to see some attack on the ball. I think in most of our finals losses - ironically the 3 Richmond games are the obvious exceptions - we have tried to ‘trust the process’ too much instead of the old school ‘let’s go out and f*** em up’ approach.

Get yourself into the contest then start getting into your structure and gameplan. First quarter of the QF will tell us a lot

Toby Greene. Patrick Dangerfield. Jack Ginnivan. Players who irritate me simply for being on my TV. And any of them winning a flag would make me sad.

Tbh a big reason why I hope Geelong don't win. Media commentators speak as if he is entitled to one. Whenever they talk that way about a player (usually a media darling too) it makes me not want that to happen. Many great players never win won, it happens. I don't think it has much bearing on their individual legacy. Would Gaz Snr have been a better player if he'd won a premiership? Dont think so. He kicked 10 in a losing granny. There are 18 blokes on your team.

If Cats won the 89 GF his performance would be seen as even better than it already is. So yes he’d be seen as a better player, would have carried his team to a flag like Dusty has done multiple times. He also kicked 9 not 10.

In regards to Danger, I feel bad for him not having a flag I would be fine if he had one. But unfortunately he plays for the cats and I don’t want them to win this year cause of their supporters, Duckwood, Scott and Mr. Baby Oil.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back