Dangerfield and that elusive Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

21 pages and counting :confusedv1:

I guess it's just me, but I honestly can't imagine being this emotionally invested in a player from another team....
Yep, agree.

I'm far from Dangerfield's number 1 fan, but there is something really sad in hearing about how much joy some people get when seeing other individuals fail.

Yep, agree.

I'm far from Dangerfield's number 1 fan, but there is something really sad in hearing about how much joy some people get when seeing other individuals fail.
I agree, I think it reflects more on the person posting than what it does on the player in question.
I don't understand the Dangerfield hate, champion player who has or has had a lead role in the Players Association so he has a collective interest in the well being of his peers.
Plays the game fair, I acknowledge he's been suspended a few times but he's never committed an act of thuggery in my opinion, he's been suspended for split second decisions that have not gone his way, plenty of players have been guilty of that.
Handles defeat with class, his post Grand Final loss interview was congratulatory towards Richmond.
I think because he has such a high profile and maybe is over exposed people view him as someone with extreme arrogance. There's the surfing in the business suite media piece which wasn't his idea and should hardly define his whole persona. Outside of that I don't regard him as anything more than someone that has confidence in his ability which is needed in elite sport.
There's a perception that he's some arrogant flog, I don't find any real evidence of that, I think a few people genuinely feel that way about him with the majority jumping on the bandwagon like sheep without an independent opinion of their own. Classic tale of 'Tall Poppy' syndrome if you ask me.

I agree, I think it reflects more on the person posting than what it does on the player in question.
I don't understand the Dangerfield hate, champion player who has or has had a lead role in the Players Association so he has a collective interest in the well being of his peers.
Plays the game fair, I acknowledge he's been suspended a few times but he's never committed an act of thuggery in my opinion, he's been suspended for split second decisions that have not gone his way, plenty of players have been guilty of that.
Handles defeat with class, his post Grand Final loss interview was congratulatory towards Richmond.
I think because he has such a high profile and maybe is over exposed people view him as someone with extreme arrogance. There's the surfing in the business suite media piece which wasn't his idea and should hardly define his whole persona. Outside of that I don't regard him as anything more than someone that has confidence in his ability which is needed in elite sport.
There's a perception that he's some arrogant flog, I don't find any real evidence of that, I think a few people genuinely feel that way about him with the majority jumping on the bandwagon like sheep without an independent opinion of their own. Classic tale of 'Tall Poppy' syndrome if you ask me.
Yep, there's certainly Tall Poppy Syndrome at play with Dangerfield.

I personally think he's a touch overrated - I don't think he makes great decisions with the ball and his kicking is average - but that's just my personal opinion. He is one of the best at attacking the contest that we have ever seen, can play in a variety of positions and has the ability to turn and win a game off his own boot.

When I say 'overrated', I don't have him in the top dozen or so players since the turn of the century, though I reckon he sits comfortably in the Top 20.

If Collingwood don't win it, I'd love to see Paddy with his first premiership medallion, and Joel with his 4th.

Tbh a big reason why I hope Geelong don't win. Media commentators speak as if he is entitled to one. Whenever they talk that way about a player (usually a media darling too) it makes me not want that to happen. Many great players never win won, it happens. I don't think it has much bearing on their individual legacy. Would Gaz Snr have been a better player if he'd won a premiership? Dont think so. He kicked 10 in a losing granny. There are 18 blokes on your team.
But if he does win then he won it due to winning it. Not to being entitled to it. So your argument becomes mute.

Does he finally get his premiership?
He says players should not be judged by premiership medallions.

Danger appears to be ready for a big September. Be a bloody shame if he went missing this time around.
Not much stopping these catters. Only thing that will stop him from here is injury

If Cats won the 89 GF his performance would be seen as even better than it already is. So yes he’d be seen as a better player, would have carried his team to a flag like Dusty has done multiple times. He also kicked 9 not 10.

In regards to Danger, I feel bad for him not having a flag I would be fine if he had one. But unfortunately he plays for the cats and I don’t want them to win this year cause of their supporters, Duckwood, Scott and Mr. Baby Oil.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Dusty didn't carry you on 17 or 19... The 2020 one absolutely

Should never of won it in 2017 that was Bach everyday over and 2019 was similar

Dusty didn't carry you on 17 or 19... The 2020 one absolutely

Should never of won it in 2017 that was Bach everyday over and 2019 was similar

Carrying includes H&A. I think we were 1 win off losing a top 4 spot in 2017 and 2019. If he didn’t have a Brownlow year in 2017 and AA year in 2019 we would not made the top 4 and not won those flags

In regards to the 2017 NS look up the 2017 GF stats. Dusty beat him in everything except for like intercept possession and maybe meters gained. He even set up Houli’s only goal.

Idk how you argue the 2019 NS, 4 goals and 20+ disposals including beating Houlis in pretty much every other stat again.

People just want to get rid of his awards so he doesn’t seem as good compared to their own favourite/best players. Well too bad he’s the GOAT finals player whether you like it or not.

Carrying includes H&A. I think we were 1 win off losing a top 4 spot in 2017 and 2019. If he didn’t have a Brownlow year in 2017 and AA year in 2019 we would not made the top 4 and not won those flags

In regards to the 2017 NS look up the 2017 GF stats. Dusty beat him in everything except for like intercept possession and maybe meters gained. He even set up Houli’s only goal.

Idk how you argue the 2019 NS, 4 goals and 20+ disposals including beating Houlis in pretty much every other stat again.

People just want to get rid of his awards so he doesn’t seem as good compared to their own favourite/best players. Well too bad he’s the GOAT finals player whether you like it or not.
There's looking at stats sheets, and there's watching the game.

I was another who was surprised Dusty was awarded the Norm Smith over Houli at the time in 2017.

2019 - yeah I reckon he marginally was Richmond's best but if it were a local Under 12 team it would state 'Team Effort' under best players in the weekly newsletter.

2020 - he was clearly the difference in that game.

Your argument was about carrying a team to a flag not H&A season

One of those was junk time goals in 19.. but i guess it is hard to judge when the game is a blow out

I'll never agree with 17 it was for the AFL to finally get someone to win the equivalent of a grand slam

It's hard to feel that he is deserving to be apart of a premiership team when the sense of self importance,entitlement and figjam oozes from every paw
It may happen this year but he would be the last person on that team I would be happy for if they did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's looking at stats sheets, and there's watching the game.

I was another who was surprised Dusty was awarded the Norm Smith over Houli at the time in 2017.

2019 - yeah I reckon he marginally was Richmond's best but if it were a local Under 12 team it would state 'Team Effort' under best players in the weekly newsletter.

2020 - he was clearly the difference in that game.

People didn’t want him to win it as he would be the first to win a flag, NS and Brownlow in the same year. Looks to good so they dismiss it and say Houli was better.

This is supported by the fact that people kept saying ‘he only won it to support the narrative of winning all 3 in the same season’ I’m pretty sure you would’ve been of those people. It’s just tall poppy syndrome nothing more. It’s the same reason people say he didn’t deserve the 2019 NS either. So that’s just great isn’t it, get rid of 2 norms and he’s below the pack and not a great anymore. Sounds convenient doesn’t it.

Your argument was about carrying a team to a flag not H&A season

One of those was junk time goals in 19.. but i guess it is hard to judge when the game is a blow out

I'll never agree with 17 it was for the AFL to finally get someone to win the equivalent of a grand slam

A flag is both H&A and finals. He did both. Of course you don’t agree with 17, he achieved something none of your greats did.

People didn’t want him to win it as he would be the first to win a flag, NS and Brownlow in the same year. Looks to good so they dismiss it and say Houli was better.

This is supported by the fact that people kept saying ‘he only won it to support the narrative of winning all 3 in the same season’ I’m pretty sure you would’ve been of those people. It’s just tall poppy syndrome nothing more. It’s the same reason people say he didn’t deserve the 2019 NS either. So that’s just great isn’t it, get rid of 2 norms and he’s below the pack and not a great anymore. Sounds convenient doesn’t it.
Thanks for letting me know what I'm thinking, really appreciate it.

Quite the dual skillset - Mind Reader end Expert Data Analyst.

Thanks for letting me know what I'm thinking, really appreciate it.

You’re very easy to read. I’ve heard all your arguments word for word with other Richmond haters. All the same.

Figjam never won one, but that was because it was all about him, Danger is a bit different, don't think he is selfish, he just isn't that good, especially in finals, that's why he has never won one, because the team relies on him, and he can't deliver, when it matters.

This year is the last hurrah

Figjam never won one, but that was because it was all about him, Danger is a bit different, don't think he is selfish, he just isn't that good, especially in finals, that's why he has never won one, because the team relies on him, and he can't deliver, when it matters.

This year is the last hurrah
FIGJAM actually carried an average team into two Grand Finals, and is one of the few players to win a Norm Smith Medal in a losing Grand Final.

He is the last one you'd point to, to explain why Collingwood never won a flag during his time at the club.

I think a better footy story would be if the Swans win and Buddy delivers Sydney a flag in his contract. The headline "better late than never".

Paddy McCartin would surely be the most amazing story in that outcome.

Right up there with Milo and Otis in terms of winning a battle against all odds.

FIGJAM actually carried an average team into two Grand Finals, and is one of the few players to win a Norm Smith Medal in a losing Grand Final.

He is the last one you'd point to, to explain why Collingwood never won a flag during his time at the club.
look this is not the thread for this, but

Buckley was the biggest avoider of premierships in history

He played with 30 premiership players in his career, at two clubs, but never won one himself, not because of injury either

He went to brisbane, left, they won 3 flags, he was going to Nth but didn't they won 2 flags, he went to Collingwood, never won a flag, retired then they won a flag, then coached for 10 years and never won a flag, got sacked, and now things are looking up again at the pies.

Danger might be the same.

Does he finally get his premiership?
He says players should not be judged by premiership medallions.

Danger appears to be ready for a big September. Be a bloody shame if he went missing this time around.
Of course you would resurrect this.

He is a champ. Do you think Gary Ablett Snr was less of a champ because he didn't get a flag? It's not an individual sport, something I don't think you realise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back