Dangerfield and that elusive Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

There's looking at stats sheets, and there's watcng the game.

I was another who was surprised Dusty was awarded the Norm Smith over Houli at the time in 2017.

2019 - yeah I reckon he marginally was Richmond's best but if it were a local Under 12 team it would state 'Team Effort' under best players in the weekly newsletter.

2020 - he was clearly the difference in that game.
Who would award the norm smith to houli when he kicked 1.3 opposed to Dusty's 4 straight. Maybe an idiot?

I genuinely don't get the hate for Dangerfield. I disagree with the hate for Selwood, but I get it. The Selwood hate is more of a universal thing, but I don't think the Dangerfield hate goes past Big Footy really.

Is there really that much to hate? Maybe he's a bit of a flog who thinks he's funnier than he is? Suit on a surfboard (casual fans probably forgot about this years ago)? But he plays fair, he was an absolute force of nature in his prime and still electric to watch when he's on.

I remember him camera whoring a bit and carrying on like a pork chop at a Brownlow, must have been around 2013 and I thought at the time "Geez Dangerfield, GTF over yourself". But I think that's about the harshest criticism you can really have of him. He genuinely seems to be a good fella, good part of the group, a bit of a goofball.

Now it seems to be the media's obsession with him getting a flag that's causing the hate. But that happens with all the great ones as they go past 300 flagless games. Many whom I'd argue were quite a bit less great than Dangerfield was have had similar treatment.

I genuinely don't get the hate for Dangerfield. I disagree with the hate for Selwood, but I get it. The Selwood hate is more of a universal thing, but I don't think the Dangerfield hate goes past Big Footy really.

Is there really that much to hate? Maybe he's a bit of a flog who thinks he's funnier than he is? Suit on a surfboard (casual fans probably forgot about this years ago)? But he plays fair, he was an absolute force of nature in his prime and still electric to watch when he's on.

I remember him camera whoring a bit and carrying on like a pork chop at a Brownlow, must have been around 2013 and I thought at the time "Geez Dangerfield, GTF over yourself". But I think that's about the harshest criticism you can really have of him. He genuinely seems to be a good fella, good part of the group, a bit of a goofball.

Now it seems to be the media's obsession with him getting a flag that's causing the hate. But that happens with all the great ones as they go past 300 flagless games. Many whom I'd argue were quite a bit less great than Dangerfield was have had similar treatment.

Plays fair?

What about the elbow on Flossies head?

What about the diving in finals v Richmond?

You have to be kidding.

Plays fair?

What about the elbow on Flossies head?

What about the diving in finals v Richmond?

You have to be kidding.

See, when the only clutching at straws examples you can think of in 15 years directly involve your own team, it makes it look like a bit of a biased take.

Can you think of anything a bit more compelling and/or that doesn't involve Richmond?

See, when the only clutching at straws examples you can think of in 15 years directly involve your own team, it makes it look like a bit of a biased take.

Can you think of anything a bit more compelling and/or that doesn't involve Richmond?

Well on the issue of Patrick Dangerfield,

The three most important games of his career, have all been against Richmond.

Qualifying final 2017
Preliminary final 2019
Grand Final 2020

All against Richmond.

So on that note, I reckon I am imminently qualified.

I have studied those games very closely.

He dives for free kicks in a really embarrassing way, and his performances overall, it has to be said, are really disappointing from a Geelong point of view. Also his kicking at speed is absolutely horrendous. Can't remember another champion like him whose kicking is overall below average, maybe Fyfe.

It's probably the reason why both of them have never saluted. There are only so many opportunities to score every game, and if your best player can't kick straight when it matters, I reckon there is a strong correlation with that, and losing big finals

You make good points, and fair and balanced too. regarding this ^^^, I remember universal mocking and dislike of him even from geelong fans. Well my small sample size of 2.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Qualifying final 2017
Preliminary final 2019
Grand Final 2020

All against Richmond.

He dives for free kicks in a really embarrassing way, and his performances overall, it has to be said, are really disappointing from a Geelong point of view. Also his kicking at speed is absolutely horrendous. Can't remember another champion like him whose kicking is overall below average, maybe Fyfe.

It's probably the reason why both of them have never saluted. There are only so many opportunities to score every game, and if your best player can't kick straight when it matters, I reckon there is a strong correlation with that, and losing big finals
Sorry how is the 2017 qualifying final above 2016, 2017, 2020 or 2021 preliminary finals? That’s also just mentioning his Geelong finals.

Qualifying final 2017
Preliminary final 2019
Grand Final 2020

All against Richmond.

Yes, Fyfe and Dangerfield’s kicking and that alone is the reason that they and the 42 players alongside them have never been able to win a premiership. It’s the kicking of those two players, and that alone, which has prevented them from winning flags.

I bet the Fremantle CEO will come out with a report sometime soon when quizzed about their upcoming 30th season without a title and that’s what he will put it down to.

Qualifying final 2017
Preliminary final 2019
Grand Final 2020

All against Richmond.

You hate him because as a Richmond supporter, his disappointing finals performances have helped Richmond win big finals and premierships.

Got it. Makes heaps of sense.

You hate him because as a Richmond supporter, his disappointing finals performances have helped Richmond win big finals and premierships.

Got it. Makes heaps of sense.

I don’t hate him .

Why is it that pointing out obvious flaws is hatred ?

I just don’t think he is that great, for the reasons mentioned

I don’t hate him .

Why is it that pointing out obvious flaws is hatred ?

I just don’t think he is that great, for the reasons mentioned

What if he's a match winner in a premiership team this year? You'd be front and centre to confirm how he's filled the one blank on his CV and that he must be put in the discussion as one of the true champion players of this century?

What if he's a match winner in a premiership team this year? You'd be front and centre to confirm how he's filled the one blank on his CV and that he must be put in the discussion as one of the true champion players of this century?
take it easy

It means he has had heaps of opportunities and he has done it once, lets see how he goes eh?

If he does it he achieves what he already should have. But at this point just 1 would still have him as an A- superstar a tier below the likes of Dusty, Ablett, Judd, Buddy, Goodes, in the 21st century. He will always be that 1 step below the true cream of the cream.

take it easy

It means he has had heaps of opportunities and he has done it once, lets see how he goes eh?

I don't need to take it easy... I'm quite content. But personally, I think it takes a pretty great player to even establish a body of work in finals matches.

There's something to be said for being a vital part of teams that show up in finals, year after year after year. And that's Dangerfield: he's going to front up for his 11th September campaign from his 15 full seasons in the league. This will be his eighth straight. He might crack 30 finals matches by the time he hangs up the boots and been a star for the Crows and Cats in plenty of them. If anything, he's an underrated finals performer.

I don't need to take it easy... I'm quite content. But personally, I think it takes a pretty great player to even establish a body of work in finals matches.

There's something to be said for being a vital part of teams that show up in finals, year after year after year. And that's Dangerfield: he's going to front up for his 11th September campaign from his 15 full seasons in the league. This will be his eighth straight. He might crack 30 finals matches by the time he hangs up the boots and been a star for the Crows and Cats in plenty of them. If anything, he's an underrated finals performer.

underrated finals performer?

You have to be joking right?

underrated finals performer?

You have to be joking right?
Given people like to pretend like he's been rubbish (he hasn't) yes underrated would be the right word. At least half to two thirds of the side have let us down worse in our finals losses with Danger in the side. His finals efforts have been least of our worries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back