Dangerfield and that elusive Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

If Geelong fail in September yet again and with their age demographic heading for a cliff, should Dangerfield request a trade to chase that elusive flag that he says he will be incomplete without?
We were going to drop off every year after the 2010 prelim. As much as you're hoping, we are no chance of doing a Hawthorn and self-imploding due to poor list management. 🤣

We were going to drop off every year after the 2010 prelim. As much as you're hoping, we are no chance of doing a Hawthorn and self-imploding due to poor list management. 🤣
Yes but Patrick wants to play in a Premiership, not smash the record for losing Prelim Finals

Your whack to the Hawks, going for a 4th consecutive flag, as occurred with the Lions is quite different to the Cats imho.

Geelong are proactive list managers.

If Geelong fail in September yet again and with their age demographic heading for a cliff, should Dangerfield request a trade to chase that elusive flag that he says he will be incomplete without?

Translation: With my own team having finally receded to a level of irrelevance it is imperative that I remind the forum that the Cats have some old players

I reckon we can fit him in the cap.

It'll be one less BOG he'll get

Let's talk about season 2020 and the Hawks instead, why would you want to waste your time talking about Geelong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many years would Dangerfield have left
4?

Take a look at the 2007 draft, the names on that list still playing are getting few and far between. If Dangerfield loses his explosiveness he hasn't got much else to fall back on. Scott has tried to extend his career by putting him up forward but we'll see

Didn't realise I was on the bay. You realise currently Geelongs list age average is 24.7? And that the oldest player on that list is Ablett at 36 then Taylor at 34. If they both retire as expected that drops the average down to 24.25.

Games average is currently 88.3, unless you remove all the players who are yet to debut and that then goes up to 112. Remove Ablett and Taylor, full list average drops to 78 (or 101 if you don't include guys yet to debut).

So Geelong have ok games average and list age average, but could use a few more players in the 25 or 26 age bracket. But Geelong also have a 3 first round, 1 second round and 1 fifth round pick to use at the end of the year. Add in trades, and free agents wanting to come to Geelong, and I would say Geelong would be still top 5 over the next 2 years of Dangers career.

Geelongs list is healthy, your jealousy is showing :)

Dangerfield to Essendon, get that inside bull they've always needed and daniher goes to Geelong to replace the aging tomahawk. Match made in heaven and it ensures danger never gets anywhere near the flag

Daniher would be a big downgrade on Hawkins on current form, even factoring in age.

Take a look at the 2007 draft, the names on that list still playing are getting few and far between. If Dangerfield loses his explosiveness he hasn't got much else to fall back on. Scott has tried to extend his career by putting him up forward but we'll see

So he passes his prime, like every other player does at some stage...

Didn't realise I was on the bay. You realise currently Geelongs list age average is 24.7? And that the oldest player on that list is Ablett at 36 then Taylor at 34. If they both retire as expected that drops the average down to 24.25.

Games average is currently 88.3, unless you remove all the players who are yet to debut and that then goes up to 112. Remove Ablett and Taylor, full list average drops to 78 (or 101 if you don't include guys yet to debut).

So Geelong have ok games average and list age average, but could use a few more players in the 25 or 26 age bracket. But Geelong also have a 3 first round, 1 second round and 1 fifth round pick to use at the end of the year. Add in trades, and free agents wanting to come to Geelong, and I would say Geelong would be still top 5 over the next 2 years of Dangers career.

But you can't really go by the total list age since thats 40 players, it's more about the best 22 that are playing regularly. Geelong's best 22 has to be the oldest.

Average list age is the fool's measure to assess where the age demographic of the clubs key players and 22 is at.

Back to thread topic, it was a big deal to get Dangerfield to the Cats and him wanting to go home, I think he will play out his career there, probably as a second forward or shorter FF in the twilight years.

Ah yes, the old 'if i remove the numbers i don't like, the numbers i like are left' argument

Remove this Banner Ad

Back