Dangerfield as FF

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Is anyone else completely dumbfounded by how much Chris Scott has played Dangerfield as a forward this year?

He has clearly been influenced far too much by the game last year against the Hawks and the semi against the Swans.

He’s one of the best midfielders in the competition. He’s clearly good as a forward in patches but teams have put time into him this year when he is playing mostly forward and he hasn’t been nearly as good as he has in those bursts. He’s kicked 13 goals for the year. Would say that’s a fairly low return for someone who has spent a significant amount of time down that end of the ground.

And they clearly miss him in the midfield when he’s down there.

I don’t get it at all.

We will play finals and Danger at forward is something that needs work. Plenty of outs too that will change our set up.

Is anyone else completely dumbfounded by how much Chris Scott has played Dangerfield as a forward this year
No I’m not.

We can’t score, have lost our CHF in Ratugolea, Menzel is still out.
We need guys who can score and our smalls can’t score due to the haphazard nature we deliver the ball inside 50 that takes them out of the game with intercept turnovers.

This is why I was conflicted losing Motlop. Inconsistent but at the same time a goal scorer.

Is anyone else completely dumbfounded by how much Chris Scott has played Dangerfield as a forward this year?

He has clearly been influenced far too much by the game last year against the Hawks and the semi against the Swans.

He’s one of the best midfielders in the competition. He’s clearly good as a forward in patches but teams have put time into him this year when he is playing mostly forward and he hasn’t been nearly as good as he has in those bursts. He’s kicked 13 goals for the year. Would say that’s a fairly low return for someone who has spent a significant amount of time down that end of the ground.

And they clearly miss him in the midfield when he’s down there.

I don’t get it at all.

There was a graphic before the game that from memory basically indicated that the games against sides we are expected to beat are the ones where he has spent the
most time forward, ie. when we know we are more than likely to win the middle regardless of whether Dangerfield is there or not.

He has generally spent no more than 25-ish per cent of game time against the better teams forward.

And today it didn't make a lick of difference. We had 9 more inside 50s than Richmond. Taking him out of the forward 50 and putting him on the ball wouldn't have somehow made us more efficient in attack

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rance played on him for 56 mins for 0 goals and 4 disposals

Not a key like the media keeps telling us he is

Supply-reliant, just like any other deep forward target.

The goals he usually scores (eg. the Hawks game last year) when playing as a deep forward were usually lead-up mark stuff coming from being the unexpected target of a large number of forward entries, rather than individual brilliance. When teams know it's coming, it's easy to plan for and stop, because that style of play (targeting a single lead-up forward) has been largely de-bunked by modern defensive tactics and structures.

Just put him in the middle.

Plays FF last week, was a key to winning the game for them.
Plays FF this week, and it's "why did he play FF?"
Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

Who else besides Hawkins is going to kick their goals?

No I’m not.

We can’t score, have lost our CHF in Ratugolea, Menzel is still out.
We need guys who can score and our smalls can’t score due to the haphazard nature we deliver the ball inside 50 that takes them out of the game with intercept turnovers.

This is why I was conflicted losing Motlop. Inconsistent but at the same time a goal scorer.
Astounded Scott omitted Buzza considering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back