Dangerfield....could we get him?

Remove this Banner Ad

But didn't we choose Liam '*******' Anthony instead of taking Sloane last opportunity?
Well, errr, yes. :$ And I think in that Cam Joyce (or Bryce Lewis?) interview when it was noted that, while for the most part recruiters just rate different players differently, there are one or two selections that you'd take back. One got the distinct impression this may have been one of them.

Anyways, I reckon we offer a s**t load of cash and a well worded and sincere letter of apology to Rory, something along the lines of...

Dear Rory,

On behalf of the North Melbourne Football Club, we'd like to offer our deep and sincere apologies for our recruiting oversight in 2008 and the insult our pick 43 selection (of Liam Anthony) may have implied.

While nothing can ever make up for the years you have spent in the Adelaide Crows instead of at our glorious club, we would now like to make amends.

There comes a time in the history of clubs when they must become fully reconciled to their past mistakes if they are to go forward with confidence to embrace their future.

We apologise for failing to select you with Pick 43 and the profound grief, suffering and loss you must have experienced in being selected just one pick later. "So near and yet so far" is a hardship no-one should be forced to endure.

To your parents, family and friends, we say sorry. For the indignity and degradation you've suffered, we say sorry. There is no question for us but to take responsibility for what is part of the darkest chapters in our recruitment history ("the Laidley years").

Decency demands that we step forward to right the wrongs of this period, where we still can and so moving forward with confidence to the future. We the North Melbourne Football Club respectfully request that this apology be received in the spirit in which it is offered as part of your healing, and we sincerely hope this letter, and the other contents of the brown paper bag will go a long way to overcoming any unresolved pain and suffering you may feel.

We cannot undo the past, but together, we can create a bright new future.

Sincerely,

Cam Joyce

Last edited:
Some kind of Malthouse/Lyon wannabe.

...well he will either be caviar or lamb chop after Round 1.

But seriously, that pressie yesterday was...

post-15777-Tuxedo-Cat-gag-gif-R1Wg.gif

With all due respect....In the words of Spud...ARE YOU KIDDING?! He is EXACTLY the type of player we need! He would round off our list beautifully.

An inside midfielder with average disposal? I agree his speed would be handy, and he knows his way around the goals, but I wouldn't call him "exactly the type of player we need". Like I said, I wouldn't complain about getting him, I'd be very happy in fact, but he wouldn't be my first picked out of all the non-North players in the league if I could add one to our list, not by any stretch.

How exactly?

Tex is a genuine clubman type who leads by example, and I think it's a great choice to choose a guy like that as your leader. The fact that Danger, Sloane etc haven't signed yet suggests at least that they don't have the commitment and dedication to the club that Tex does. By that logic, I think Tex is easily the better choice. He might not be Einstein but that's not necessarily what being the captain's about - he's the kind of captain that will inspire loyalty among the group.

I just can't see us getting him.

Our first pick plus Bastinac/McKenzie for Sloane could be an option.

Free Agent.

Less than no chance.

chance.png

Here's some time capsule entries re Dangerfield.

1. When push comes to shove self interest usually trumps club loyalty. As the year wears on and especially if the crows have a poor season, PD will probably focus even moreso on his own future and care less about the club. Result: free agency

2. There might be whispers here, there and everywhere re Geelong but it's too simplistic. He can go to any Melbourne club and be within a couple of hours striking distance of everything he's after. Clubs like Hawthorn, Collingwood and Carlton are pretty good at landing their targets, I wouldn't write them off just because they're not located between Lorne and Fairhaven.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dangerfield is a gun yes, but I think he is a tad overrated in the media.

His kicking is ordinary and he can go missing on a tight tag.

We won't get him nor do I don't think we need him to be a premiership chance.

Sounds like what I said about Colbert many years ago.

Nek minnit North is selling the farm..

Sounds like what I said about Colbert many years ago.

Nek minnit North is selling the farm..

True. Think we were in a different place then as a team though, but who knows what we might be planning. We did chase a talented but injury prone free agent very recently so yeah, anything is possible.

Last edited:
To be fair, he suffered a shoulder injury that killed his career.

Yes true, but am still not sure his shoulder injury should have ended his career. Seems a bit piss poor IMO.

Well, errr, yes. :$ And I think in that Cam Joyce (or Bryce Lewis?) interview when it was noted that, while for the most part recruiters just rate different players differently, there are one or two selections that you'd take back, one got the distinct impression this may have been one of them.

At the time I was living in Alexander Av Upwey, my block backed onto Durang rd Upwey which made the Sloane's our neighbours.

North spent many a night at their place. I'd love to know what freaking changed that made us call out Liam '*******' Anthony's name?

I agree, to an extent. He is a burst player, he has X-factor. If the Crows are in the contest he can turn a game and win it, that is the kind of impact he has, he would be very dangerous in a top 4 team who have a lot of other players you have to worry about besides him.

He doesn't really have the support structure around him to be more damaging, ie like Rioli has at Hawthorn but he is potentially much closer to a Fyfe type of player, had he been playing in a good side like Fremantle.

Assuming our cap is fully allocated then the question is who would we shove out of the airlock to get someone we would be looking to pay $1m plus a season.

Assuming our cap is fully allocated then the question is who would we shove out of the airlock to get someone we would be looking to pay $1m plus a season.

I reckon that might be a big assumption though...

Drew would be close to the end, you certainly wouldn't push him out if he's still performing though.
A serious injury for Harvey might do it also at this stage.

I'm not sure that I'd be throwing that money around either, at least not over multiple years... that's still top 2-3 KPF or Gary Ablett money for mine. Still, doesn't hurt to make sure other clubs pay overs.

Drew would be close to the end, you certainly wouldn't push him out if he's still performing though.

I'm not sure that I'd be throwing that money around either, at least not over multiple years... that's still top 2-3 KPF or Gary Ablett money for mine. Still, doesn't hurt to make sure other clubs pay overs.

I'm pretty sure the eventual retirements of Dish, Boomer among others, would be an essential part of how the clubs plans to pay our younger players expanded wages in a few years time - it'd be a mistake to think that'll just be free unallocated space that we can use however we like.

At the time I was living in Alexander Av Upwey, my block backed onto Durang rd Upwey which made the Sloane's our neighbours.

North spent many a night at their place. I'd love to know what freaking changed that made us call out Liam '*******' Anthony's name?
Oh man, that makes it even worse. Letter needs amending:

p.s. No hard feelings about those regular pre-draft meetings?!

I think with NDS, Missy and Waite we have gone a long way to soaking up what significant space we had, I know Waite isn't on a lot, but he will still get a reasonable senior player salary.

I would assume Firrito and Grima end this year due to age, injuries, etc while McMahon, Harper and Adams would need to improve on recent seasons to justify going again. Then you have the question marks on Tarrant, will Daw be a free man in 2016? How will Wells, Petrie and Harvey hold up in their advancing years?

I am just assuming if nothing drastic happens I wouldn't expect a massive wad of cash to free up at the end of this year.

We can get him.

Maybe he rates himself as a bit of media man, maybe he rates being in bed with JB in terms of Ch9 & MMM higher than you think.

We do have a hand. Or an Ace up our sleave. It's just about playing it right...

It was enough for Dal.

I think it will be 12 months too early for our salary cap. We'll be in a good place to chase a big name after 2016 with some or all of Boomer, Petrie, Waite, NDS, Grima, Spud, Wells (injuries?) all potentially retiring.

Put me down for the Sloane over Dangerfield campaign. Sloane has many of Danger's qualities without the same level of profile and Geelong has already starting courting the Danger in its very subtle (not) ways to set the scene for a Buddy Mk II free agency circus. I reckon we do a Higgins and quietly bring Rory on board while the shitfight over Patty the pretty boy keeps the Crows hierarchy busy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back