Dangerfield....could we get him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibson on par with Sloane?

Please, he isn't fit to carry Rory's bag into the ground despite obviously having the tank to get up the stairs.

Some context:

Is the 7th best player on those AFL rankings.

The same rankings that places Gibbo @ 241 (for those interested in a dose of reality)
But is the salary increase it would take to get Sloane commensurate with the rise in production? I would argue no.

But is the salary increase it would take to get Sloane commensurate with the rise in production? I would argue no.

I wouldn't have a clue what Gibson is being paid.

I would think the free tracksuit(s) and gym membership v $700k over 4-5 is significant. But that doesn't mean Sloane wouldn't be worth it.

We will lose Boomer/Drew probably at the end of this or next year so we might have some space.

I also got the impression from the coach that he is a hard arse; basically, it is my way or the highway.

I might be wrong, but if Adelaide have a bad year, there may be a few players there looking to move.
He is very much a hard arse. I know his son fairly well and I know Phil has been pretty tough on him.

Some context:

Is the 7th best player on those AFL rankings.

The same rankings that places Gibbo @ 241 (for those interested in a dose of reality)
No dose of reality needed. 241 divided by 18 clubs is about 13.4, which is a reasonable ranking of Gibbo. Comfortably best 22 on output, not the 25-30 fringe player you have him pegged at.

(Of course Sloane's better. To deny that would be silly,)

No dose of reality needed. 241 divided by 18 clubs is about 13.4, which is a reasonable ranking of Gibbo. Comfortably best 22 on output, not the 25-30 fringe player you have him pegged at.

All things being equal, sure.

However, one can't improve their ranking whilst out injured and Gibbo has played every game in the last 3 years.

Leigh Adams @ 249 FWIW.

Firitto ahead of Gibson despite not being in many peoples preferred 22.

Bastinac @ 152 despite many posts suggesting Gibson's value to the team is higher than that of Bastinac. (Which it isn't & has never been)

Mullet @ 271 says it all IMHO.

Yep agree. I clearly have Gibbo best 22 also but for mine he isn't as good as some on here like to think despite his work rate being so admirable. I'd say around 15-18 on that ranking method is his mark considering the injuries that elevated him a little. Important due to us lacking runners a little, but still has major flaws.

Sloane is in a different category altogether. He has far better decision making than Gibbo, skills are better (even if also not perfect) and is much harder at it.

For mine in Adelaide's best 5 players, and they aren't a bad team. He would certainly improve us if we had him, and if Boomer were to retire then I'd be happy to throw that money at Sloane.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have a clue what Gibson is being paid.

I would think the free tracksuit(s) and gym membership v $700k over 4-5 is significant. But that doesn't mean Sloane wouldn't be worth it.

We will lose Boomer/Drew probably at the end of this or next year so we might have some space.

Just as a side point, I find it funny how people constantly say Boomer will be finished at the end of this or the next year. People have been saying it for about six or seven years now & he has dropped off in any sort of form or lost any sort of pace.
I know the end can come quickly but nothing suggests he's any less of a player than when he was running around at 25.

Just as a side point, I find it funny how people constantly say Boomer will be finished at the end of this or the next year. People have been saying it for about six or seven years now & he has dropped off in any sort of form or lost any sort of pace.
I know the end can come quickly but nothing suggests he's any less of a player than when he was running around at 25.

That's true but I think Arjens suggestion was fair.

Petrie will gone for sure by end of next year, maybe earlier, and who knows, if we win a granny Boomer might just hang them up? He could also go another 5 years probably?

It's a fair assumption that at least one, maybe both, will probably be gone by start of 2017 to give a fair bit of salary space to think about upcoming free agents.

Surely Boomer wouldn't be on big bucks now? I'd imagine we'd have to offer up the money from a few retired players to afford a Danger or Sloane. Personally I don't think we need to do that. Sure, it'd be nice to have either of them in the team, but I'd rather not sell the farm and jeopardise losing one of our young guns down the track.

That's true but I think Arjens suggestion was fair.

Petrie will gone for sure by end of next year, maybe earlier, and who knows, if we win a granny Boomer might just hang them up? He could also go another 5 years probably?

It's a fair assumption that at least one, maybe both, will probably be gone by start of 2017 to give a fair bit of salary space to think about upcoming free agents.
I didn't think veterans salaries counted towards the cap?

Boomer would still be on plenty given he is still our best player.

And no. 5 on that list FWIW.

Boomer is a superstar and I don't want his career to end but realistically, he might not play on after we win the flag this year.

I didn't think veterans salaries counted towards the cap?
Pretty sure that some of it does, if not the majority. A portion of the salary is paid outside the cap. In 2014 that amount was $118,380 per player and this will likely increase a bit for 2015. So if Dish and Boom are on $450K a piece then we pay around the $330K mark each for their services. Spud is also a vet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think 100k of their salary can be outside the cap.

Ok cool thanks, thought might be similar.

So it's not the whole lot. I hear it a lot that veterans are exempt but confident wasn't the case as it wouldn't work the other way if a ridiculous sum.

It honestly shits me to tears. Barring some sort of Brad Johnson body shutdown Boomer could easily play 3+ more years. It will all come down to motivation for him. He's still one of the best midfielders in the comp and we are laughing only paying him that much. But yeah sure thing lets retire him so we can use that money else where. Not to mention 112K of that is sorted out by the veteran's list.

Boomer and I have discussed his 5-year plan.

2 years doing more of the same
2 years playing closer to goal (will bang in 40+ goals and have a s**t load of assists)
1 year as the sub

I'm just glad Boomer is bloody competitive and loves the $$$$

Hopefully he is that stingy he wants to stay on longer.

At the end of the day we want another small forward. If Boomer can't run the same amount of Km's a game you've got the best in the business at your disposal. A better crumber you will not find!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back