Dangerfield hit on Vlastuin

Remove this Banner Ad

This is rubbish.

The laws of Australian Football, as published by the AFL, state:

No mention of whether it was "reasonable" whatever that means.

The rules are very clear: if one player intentionally or carelessly strikes another person then they should be reported.

Was it too quick for Danger to avoid, did his arm move up again after hitting the ball, did Danger go into the contest with his elbow out on purpose, could he have made the spoil differently?

All valid questions, but valid questions for the tribunal to sort out.

In terms of whether this was reportable, there is only one question asked by the rules of the game: did Dangerfield strike another person? Clearly the answer is yes.

He should have been reported and the tribunal could sort out if a penalty was justified and, if so, what the penalty should have been.

The fact they didn't even cite this is a travesty.

Also clearly a free kick for high contact.

The head is sacrosanct - yeah right.

DS
Go watch netball. Seriously.

Marinoff hits Brid Stack in what looks like a rather innocuous in-play passage, but Stack cracks a vertebrae and Marinoff misses a third of the season. Compare to Dangerfield knocking Vlastuin out.

I have previously stated (i think) that I think PD could have done more to avoid the impact with Vlastuin, but probably gets off. I just see inconsistency in the tribunal's interpretation between his hit and Marinoff's.

Marinoff hits Brid Stack in what looks like a rather innocuous in-play passage, but Stack cracks a vertebrae and Marinoff misses a third of the season. Compare to Dangerfield knocking Vlastuin out.

I have previously stated (i think) that I think PD could have done more to avoid the impact with Vlastuin, but probably gets off. I just see inconsistency in the tribunal's interpretation between his hit and Marinoff's.
You won the flag, stop sooking about a fair contest months later.

if it was Petracca in place of Vlastuin I bet your opinion of “a fair contest” would be completely different
Not everyone is a one eyed muppet. I'd rather not see the sport I used to love become non contact over some petty suspension.

Marinoff is a robbery, should never have been suspended.

Not much Danger could do, he either knocks himself out if he went head first. It was a accident, same with Marinoff.

Can someone please tell me how Dangerfield got 0 for this and Greene got 2 weeks?

Cannot believe it needs explaining, any reasonable person understands but Danger haters see red and are very unreasonable.

One bloke is punching the ball away, it really is that simple, he is a ball player. A bloke you never see in scuffles or niggles, just a hard at it ball player. One ‘reckless’ incident not intentional against Adelaide does not make him dirty no matter how desperate people are to hang him.

The other is Toby Greene a player with history both on and off field. We all know his intentions, he raised the elbow deliberately to hurt, it’s what he does.
He has heaps of other options.
How people want to condone a raised elbow has me baffled. Obviously raised elbows to fend off a player is against the rules, you cannot argue that.
He misses the rest of the game in hospital so he is responsible for an act you cannot do.

Even if you want to pretend it’s not deliberate it’s still a reckless incident at best that put a bloke out of the game. You’re responsible for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannot believe it needs explaining, any reasonable person understands but Danger haters see red and are very unreasonable.

One bloke is punching the ball away, it really is that simple, he is a ball player. A bloke you never see in scuffles or niggles, just a hard at it ball player. One ‘reckless’ incident not intentional against Adelaide does not make him dirty no matter how desperate people are to hang him.

The other is Toby Greene a player with history both on and off field. We all know his intentions, he raised the elbow deliberately to hurt, it’s what he does.
He has heaps of other options.
How people want to condone a raised elbow has me baffled. Obviously raised elbows to fend off a player is against the rules, you cannot argue that.
He misses the rest of the game in hospital so he is responsible for an act you cannot do.

Even if you want to pretend it’s not deliberate it’s still a reckless incident at best that put a bloke out of the game. You’re responsible for that.

wrong

whether you are punching the ball away or going for a tackle, does raising the elbow in the contest to protect one self vindicate the action ? No

Vlastuin against Danger went to tackle not bump, Danger chose to protect himself BUT his action was illegal regardless of him trying to protect himself a raised elbow to the head is illegal and reckless. If he had time to clench his fist and raise/square up his elbow to Vlastuins head he had time to fend off the tackle…but this is done and dusted, and based on the AFLs judgement you can fend off with your elbow to protect one self. Danger was cleared and a can of worms was open…just waiting for the next similar incident

I’ve been there. Years ago in a game I went to tackle a guy and copped the elbow in the larynx similar to Greene and had a bruised and very sore larynx for a while, Dr said it can be fatal if very severe

No one regardless if they are in a passage of play should raise their elbow at another’s head…

BUT the AFL had opportunity to clear this up in last years GF and earlier this year but missed the opportunity.
Based on precedence Green should get off, but regardless of the player in question the act should be stamped out, it is dangerous

And this is not about the game softening, a raised elbow can do a lot of damage and should not be part of the game.

wrong

whether you are punching the ball away or going for a tackle, does raising the elbow in the contest to protect one self vindicate the action ? No

Vlastuin against Danger went to tackle not bump, Danger chose to protect himself BUT his action was illegal regardless of him trying to protect himself a raised elbow to the head is illegal and reckless. If he had time to clench his fist and raise/square up his elbow to Vlastuins head he had time to fend off the tackle…but this is done and dusted, and based on the AFLs judgement you can fend off with your elbow to protect one self. Danger was cleared and a can of worms was open…just waiting for the next similar incident

I’ve been there. Years ago in a game I went to tackle a guy and copped the elbow in the larynx similar to Greene and had a bruised and very sore larynx for a while, Dr said it can be fatal if very severe

No one regardless if they are in a passage of play should raise their elbow at another’s head…

BUT the AFL had opportunity to clear this up in last years GF and earlier this year but missed the opportunity.
Based on precedence Green should get off, but regardless of the player in question the act should be stamped out, it is dangerous

And this is not about the game softening, a raised elbow can do a lot of damage and should not be part of the game.

It’s hardly a debate mate, unfortunate outcomes happen. You’re allowed to punch a ball, It’s all incidental. No reasonable person even hinted towards a suspension at the time and the ones that did are Danger haters, potting him is a hobby for most so I hardly respect the debate.
One is in play and 100% reasonable as is proved by a lack of debate and anger at the time and nothing came of it. All fair.

The Greene incident is not the same and it’s being discussed how it should be a suspension because you know what? It should be a suspension. It’s cut and dry.
People seem to be desperate to stick up for Greene lately. Why? I will never know, he is a known thug with history so why are we trying to give him reasons to do more thuggish behaviour?
Even if you think Danger should be suspension it doesn’t mean this shouldn’t.
You’re also comparing incidents in different years.

Yes Selwood’s action should be a suspension, the AFL is wrong to judge it by injury alone but that’s somewhat consistent this year. You could always use the potential to injure clause.

So whatever you think, I’m extremely reasonable here, I just can’t stand people who don’t get logic and blinded by hatred.

I have to disagree with my Richmond colleagues here. The Danger elbow to Vlastuin occurred a split second after he punched the ball and was purely reflex to protect himself. There was no malice in it and I accept the MRO's decision. It is very different to the Greene incident. Greene threw the elbow up when he didn't need to. He had a choice.

I have to disagree with my Richmond colleagues here. The Danger elbow to Vlastuin occurred a split second after he punched the ball and was purely reflex to protect himself. There was no malice in it and I accept the MRO's decision. It is very different to the Greene incident. Greene threw the elbow up when he didn't need to. He had a choice.

Would be more convinced it was accident if he bothered to check on Vlastuin instead of his elbow.

c6fea55fceb9b30167dd9415afa9b2c3

Would be more convinced it was accident if he bothered to check on Vlastuin instead of his elbow.

c6fea55fceb9b30167dd9415afa9b2c3
Just because he checked his elbow doesn't mean he needed to be suspended. It's a war out there, especially in a GF. In war, you don't need to check on the wellness of the enemy whether you've accidentally hurt them or not.

Just because he checked his elbow doesn't mean he needed to be suspended. It's a war out there, especially in a GF. In war, you don't need to check on the wellness of the enemy whether you've accidentally hurt them or not.

The only question is whether it was accidental. I have my doubts but happy to move on.

I have to disagree with my Richmond colleagues here. The Dangerflop elbow to Vlastuin occurred a split second after he punched the ball and was purely reflex to protect himself. There was no malice in it and I accept the MRO's decision. It is very different to the Greene incident. Greene threw the elbow up when he didn't need to. He had a choice.

I mean it’s hard not to be right like you are here, it’s good to see a Richmond person actually admit the truth.

However you’re still a troll saying Dangerflop. I’ll report it.

Last edited:
Damn autocorrect!

I’m not sure who the mod is on these forums but no doubt they are a tigers fan.

I’m getting extremely frustrated by the lack of educated people but mainly the media who should know better.
When it comes to 3 particular incidents this year many media and pundits, well basically everyone is crying about a lack of consistency in Franklin, Fritsch and Greene and how Greene cops the raw end of the stick.

Are people seriously so dim witted to not understand Christian suspended all of them making it really consistent? Greene gets a bonus week for sending Danger to hospital. Again this is actually consistent by Christian taking injury into account.

It is the tribunal that let them off and we haven’t even got to that stage yet people are crying about inconsistency. It’s truly baffling.

Fritsch only got off on a technicality that the opponent was pushed into Fritsch, it is not like it was the wrong decision by the MRO. It was just a technicality used by a lawyer the useless panel fall for.
Franklin got off because Christian grades them incorrectly. Medium impact even though he was not injured. Give it intentional and it doesn’t get overturned.
Based off these things I am not sure how Greene gets overturned… yet.
Do they use a slip? I’m assuming they do to save backlash from an uneducated public/media.

I’m not sure who the mod is on these forums but no doubt they are a tigers fan.

I’m getting extremely frustrated by the lack of educated people but mainly the media who should know better.
When it comes to 3 particular incidents this year many media and pundits, well basically everyone is crying about a lack of consistency in Franklin, Fritsch and Greene and how Greene cops the raw end of the stick.

Are people seriously so dim witted to not understand Christian suspended all of them making it really consistent? Greene gets a bonus week for sending Danger to hospital. Again this is actually consistent by Christian taking injury into account.

It is the tribunal that let them off and we haven’t even got to that stage yet people are crying about inconsistency. It’s truly baffling.

Fritsch only got off on a technicality that the opponent was pushed into Fritsch, it is not like it was the wrong decision by the MRO. It was just a technicality used by a lawyer the useless panel fall for.
Franklin got off because Christian grades them incorrectly. Medium impact even though he was not injured. Give it intentional and it doesn’t get overturned.
Based off these things I am not sure how Greene gets overturned… yet.
Do they use a slip? I’m assuming they do to save backlash from an uneducated public/media.
It begs if Christian should be re-calibrating his assessments in light of the tribunal verdicts? OR does he just keep citing players for incidents that will then be overturned.

And while Dangerfield went to hospital it was only for observation in the end. I'm not sure he had any actual treatment, only assessment.

It begs if Christian should be re-calibrating his assessments in light of the tribunal verdicts? OR does he just keep citing players for incidents that will then be overturned.

And while Dangerfield went to hospital it was only for observation in the end. I'm not sure he had any actual treatment, only assessment.

Yes he need to recalibrate his assessments. Eg Franklin intentionally used his elbow, Selwood intentionally ran into the GWS player. You do that you get the desired outcomes.

I don’t know what happened to Danger in hospital, maybe it was just an assessment but whatever happened it was serious enough to take him out of the game.
Imo what Greene did was intentional, the MRO is consistent in that they don’t use that word intentional but Greene always plays that way as shown by a shocking history. He doesn’t do things by halves, he will get you good and proper.
What he should be doing is raising his arms so danger can’t pin them, not stick an elbow up and out with force but Greene loves to hurt, not sure how anyone can deny it.

Cannot believe how sorry people feel for Greene. Poor little Greene always getting rubbed out, how about not playing in a dangerous and deliberate manner?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back