Injury Dangerfield injury latest - Hamstring - updated 4pm 13/3/18

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you’re overestimating how far that sort of money can go without proper investment, and considering it’s only a few short years they are on that sort of money it’s not as big as a fund as you’ll think.

Average investment returns are around 2-4%...considering Dnager would at best have earned say around 5-6 million over his career so far that’s not a massive fund to live on.

Pay the house off, and have some investments and he’ll probbly have a good return of around probbly $80k after tax if he’s lucky.

However, if he gets a media job after he’s retired then that all changes but who can predict how long that type of career will last.

Jealousy over footballers salaries is pretty laughable when you consider that while they are well off, they won’t be living like ballers after retirement.
Nah I've got a mate who lives in America now who played under 30 games.
The club invested his money very wisely and got him quite a few good jobs after footy. He's the same age as me and set up for life.

Nah I've got a mate who lives in America now who played under 30 games.
The club invested his money very wisely and got him quite a few good jobs after footy. He's the same age as me and set up for life.
Fair enough

I can only estimate judging it from the outside, having said that it wouldn’t be the same outcome for every player. I would say a large portion of them would have to re-enter the workforce unless they have very very lucky with their investments to allow them a work free lifestyle.

Sorry mods for detailing the thread

Fair enough

I can only estimate judging it from the outside.

Sorry mods for detailing the thread
Oh I'm sure they're are plenty who are frivolous with their cash and go broke, but nearly all players do get a good head start on life and the clubs give them every chance of making the most of it later on.

Danger would at best have earned say around 5-6 million over his career so far that’s not a massive fund to live on.

Christ, what world are we living in when people think $5-6 million is not a massive fund to live on.

The average wage in Australia is $60,000.

It would take over 80 working years for most men and women to reach what the elite AFL players earn during their short time in footy.

No envy here, just some perspective.

Christ, what world are we living in when people think $5-6 million is not a massive fund to live on.

The average wage in Australia is $60,000.

It would take over 80 working years for most men and women to reach what the elite AFL players earn during their short time in footy.

No envy here, just some perspective.
Yes I know it a good head start, but my main point was that after retirement it’s hardly going to allow you a work free lifestyle unless you go back to a frevilous mindset.

Which would be difficult as that mindset/lifestyle would have to be hard going back to after being hampered and provided so much over their playing career. You have to remember for most of them this has been their only job and to earn that sort of money and lifestyle , it’s a harsh reality when they go back to a normal wage and working routine.

I’m just providing a different perspective that is all, they aren’t living the same lifestyle as NBA or NFL players post retirement.

Last edited:
Yes I know it a good head start, but my main point was that after retirement it’s hardly going to allow you a work free lifestyle unless you go back to a frevilous mindset.

Which would be difficult as that mindset/lifestyle would have to be hard going back to after being hampered and provided so much over their playing career. You have to remember for most of them this has been their only job and to earn that sort of money and lifestyle , it’s a harsh reality when they go back to a normal wage and working routine.

I’m just providing a different perspective that is all, they aren’t living the same lifestyle as NBA or NFL players post retirement.

99.999% of the world's population don't have an NBA or NFL retirement lifestyle.

It's actually a freak of economic nature and one of the major reasons the world is terminally screwed.

To worry about what an elite AFL footballer has to put up with in retirement in comparison to an elite 1% is pretty out there.

Rant over, I've more Trotsky to read. :D

99.999% of the world's population don't have an NBA or NFL retirement lifestyle.

It's actually a freak of economic nature and one of the major reasons the world is terminally screwed.

To worry about what an elite AFL footballer has to put up with in retirement in comparison to an elite 1% is pretty out there.

Enjoy your reading comrade, you've won the internet tonight.

No ******* s**t

I cbf arguing over what I was trying to point out...don’t worry about it * it

Um! Dangers hammy.
By his reaction in the rooms at Colac, i think we can safely say it is a low grade tear but he knew round one will not be possible. Given round two is a monday he will be a chance but I think round three will be the more than likely return given our conservative approach to soft tissue injuries.. Would be overjoyed if its round two though. No inside knowledge here just a bit of guesswork.

I think you’re overestimating how far that sort of money can go without proper investment, and considering it’s only a few short years they are on that sort of money it’s not as big as a fund as you’ll think.

Average investment returns are around 2-4%...considering Dnager would at best have earned say around 5-6 million over his career so far that’s not a massive fund to live on.

Pay the house off, and have some investments and he’ll probbly have a good return of around probbly $80k after tax if he’s lucky.

However, if he gets a media job after he’s retired then that all changes but who can predict how long that type of career will last.

Jealousy over footballers salaries is pretty laughable when you consider that while they are well off, they won’t be living like ballers after retirement.

Are you joking? 80K a year and/or all the doors that he can choose to open...

No ******* s**t

I cbf arguing over what I was trying to point out...don’t worry about it **** it
There they go.
images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By his reaction in the rooms at Colac, i think we can safely say it is a low grade tear but he knew round one will not be possible. Given round two is a monday he will be a chance but I think round three will be the more than likely return given our conservative approach to soft tissue injuries.. Would be overjoyed if its round two though. No inside knowledge here just a bit of guesswork.

Yep, need him in September, not April, would be nice to have him for Easter Monday, but only if risk free.

"guess what, you've still got to wait"

lol I love how much of a cheeky s**t he is to the media, and it makes opposition fans irrationally angry which is a great bonus

"guess what, you've still got to wait"

lol I love how much of a cheeky s**t he is to the media, and it makes opposition fans irrationally angry which is a great bonus

This...

PFD uses the media and social media to his advantage when he needs/wants to - but when it gets feeding frenzyish instead of over reacting to it he takes the piss.

Like it in both aspects TBH - and if it takes the opposition fans down the sandy vagina path even better. :p

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back