Dangerfield Injury

Remove this Banner Ad

We will be a chance to scrape into the bottom of the 8 but that is effectively season over for mine. Need to finish top 4 to be a legitimate chance.

The worse thing is if we end up missing the 8 we don't even get a top draft pick to soften the blow.
2019 Richmond looked completely done early in the season. We did them in to the tune of 11 goals, North did them by 6 goals. They got to July 8-6. For us to get to July and be on the same terms we need 5 wins. Cannot afford to drop a game but it's been done before, and Richmond had more players out than us at this point.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
This is the point. We are NOT playing well. We have had no consistency of personnel to date and a tremendously shortened pre-season. But luckily so far we are 3/2 and in touch with Top 4. But I don’t sense doom and gloom coming out of the club. Yes we’ll need to win some seemingly difficult games some time soon (this Saturday would be nice) but let’s not forget where Richmond were at half way through last season due to injury and loss of form. Came home in a tidal wave of great form.
FAR too early to be drawing conclusions IMO.
Considering how many players are out, just returned and yet to “sync” with teammates, particularly in F50, we are actually in pretty good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe Scott said something to this effect during the week and was pilloried by some for it. But it does actually make some sense. We have been very poor for vast portions of several games. Yet we are still 3-2, with important players still to enter the team/influence the game. And seven games at the Cattery still to come.

It's far from all over, despite any suggestions to the contrary here. And, as has been noted earlier, we could find out about some of our players (or, better still, unearth some real potential for the future) as we push through this challenging time.

Get to the bye at 7-4 or better and I think we're still in with a more than reasonable chance of contending. So that means managing at least 4-2 from the next six games. Given we've only got the Tiges from last year's top four during that time (and some other 2020 finalists who are not looking that imposing either right now), I think that is possible for us at this point.

OWAAT.

be nice to steal the tigers luck lol, rance really the only injury theyve had in 4 years and it actually made them better, exposing how he was never that great of a defender

came here to say s**t news on danger, but couldnt help but laugh at this one

Just last year we were missing Prestia, Nankervis for 3 months each with the same injury danger has. Plus missing Edwards and Houli for the majority of the year due to family reasons and us being in the hub. Thats not even mentioning Astbury doing his knee in round 3 and not coming back until the very end of the season, as well as Grimes missing a few with a hammy.

I can get into our ****ed injury list in 2019 if you like too?..... the "healthy tigers" thing is a myth

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
came here to say sh*t news on danger, but couldnt help but laugh at this one

Just last year we were missing Prestia, Nankervis for 3 months each with the same injury danger has. Plus missing Edwards and Houli for the majority of the year due to family reasons and us being in the hub. Thats not even mentioning Astbury doing his knee in round 3 and not coming back until the very end of the season, as well as Grimes missing a few with a hammy.

I can get into our f’ed injury list in 2019 if you like too?..... the "healthy tigers" thing is a myth
What is it with tuggers being insecure little flogs?

No one cares mate.

Insecure, because how dare anyone have an opinion about your club, on another teams board.

hahah what was said wasnt an opinion, get a dictionary

Why was danger playing vfl practise games rather than resting up.

What exactly would he have been resting up from?

If he wasn't suspended he would have been playing seniors, so surely it's not that surprising that the club decided it was a good option to keep up his fitness in the practice matches

came here to say sh*t news on danger, but couldnt help but laugh at this one

I can get into our f’ed injury list in 2019 if you like too?..... the "healthy tigers" thing is a myth
Yeah your injury run in 2019 was horrid and also the one thing that gives me hope that we can turn it around

Yeah your injury run in 2019 was horrid and also the one thing that gives me hope that we can turn it around

this was going to be my point, its one player

you are still a very good side and will win your fair share without him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, could still be a bridge too far, but 5 wins from the 6 against saints, west coast at home, Carlton, Sydney, Suns, Collingwood and we've got the same 8-6 going into July that you had. Makes it harder though. Good teams lift so we'll find out what we are this Saturday.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
What exactly would he have been resting up from?

If he wasn't suspended he would have been playing seniors, so surely it's not that surprising that the club decided it was a good option to keep up his fitness in the practice matches
Resting up from the wear and tear of match play so he would be fresher then everyone else and could rest up his niggling injuries. that wasn’t supposed to be a head scratcher.

Resting up from the wear and tear of match play so he would be fresher then everyone else and could rest up his niggling injuries. that wasn’t supposed to be a head scratcher.

That's a joke right?

Dangerfield had summer to rest us any niggling injuries and deal with his groin complaint - this past month was about building up his workload and match fitness for the season ahead

He had a 3 week suspension, played 2 practice matches and had a week off in the middle - so played less football than if he wasn't suspended or if he was suspended during the actual VFL season

And if a player requires a 3 week rest just one week into the season to "freshen up", then that sounds like a bigger issue compared with the player getting a run in some practice matches to ensure their match fit & ready to go at the start of the season

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
That's a joke right?

Dangerfield had summer to rest us any niggling injuries and deal with his groin complaint - this past month was about building up his workload and match fitness for the season ahead

He had a 3 week suspension, played 2 practice matches and had a week off in the middle - so played less football than if he wasn't suspended or if he was suspended during the actual VFL season

And if a player requires a 3 week rest just one week into the season to "freshen up", then that sounds like a bigger issue compared with the player getting a run in some practice matches to ensure their match fit & ready to go at the start of the season
It may well be a bigger issue. Doesnt mean other issues disapear. Or it could just be that danger had injuries at the end of last year, is old, and coming off the shortest pre season break in 120 years.

It may well be a bigger issue. Doesnt mean other issues disapear. Or it could just be that danger had injuries at the end of last year, is old, and coming off the shortest pre season break in 120 years.
If he was in that much need for a rest after round 1 he shouldn't have been playing the practice matches or round 1

The fact that he would have been playing rounds 2, 3 & 4 in the seniors without the suspension would suggest that the right course of action was to play in those couple of practices matches, with a week off in between them, to continue building on fitness

And whether or not he played in those matches wouldn't have impacted on the injury sustained against North anyway

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep but dusty didn't miss 2 months, we could have Stanley, Duncan and O'Connor miss large chunks and it wouldn't be as big as a hole as danger. He's our match winner, he can rip a game apart in the middle, or can kick a bag up fwd.

Let's play some youth, we have enough experience,

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Yep but dusty didn't miss 2 months, we could have Stanley, Duncan and O'Connor miss large chunks and it wouldn't be as big as a hole as danger. He's our match winner, he can rip a game apart in the middle, or can kick a bag up fwd.

Let's play some youth, we have enough experience,

Stanley missing an extended period would be just as significant as Danger missing IMO. The only other ruck prospects on our list are Fort (not AFL standard), Ratugolea (recovering from serious injury, majority of AFL experience has been forward) and an untried teenager in Neale. I shudder to think about it.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Stanley missing an extended period would be just as significant as Danger missing IMO. The only other ruck prospects on our list are Fort (not AFL standard), Ratugolea (recovering from serious injury, majority of AFL experience has been forward) and an untried teenager in Neale. I shudder to think about it.

We'd most likely have to go back to playing Blitz extensively in the ruck. Which would also be enough to induce some further involuntary shuddering.

Overhang

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
It's going to be a big test for the club no doubt, in saying that we are less dependent on Danger than we were a couple of years ago, I would put his importance to the side below Hawkins and Stewart on current form. With Cameron and Rohan back we have enough marking targets up forward, it's the moving Danger to the center to win a few clearances we're really going to miss the most. Given how he seems to have been playing injured for quite some time now hopefully this might be the rest he requires to come back a 100% fit Danger, I'd certainly take 2 months without Danger if it meant he returned in that 16/17 form. Of course the downside of any leg injuries is the loss of conditioning during recovery so the chances are even upon return he will take several games to get that full match fitness back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back