Dangerfield Injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangers main strengths are his acceleration and his contested ball.
If (and that’s a big if) his acceleration is gone then he still has a massive strength in winning the hard ball.
We have only seen him play 2 games this year. A better judgement will be after the season is done.

I'm not really talking about his 2 games this year, I'm more reflecting on his last few years. He has carried us on his own shoulders many times, like Joel has done too, there's just too many times when he turns it over in bad spots and it has our defence scrambling. He can be very good hitting a moving target when he's on the move, he can be horribly woeful too. I actually like it when he needs to use his left foot, it seems to slow him down a touch and makes him concentrate on it.

When you maybe on your last chance of winning a flag, the less errors you make, the bigger chance you have of beating the best teams. The best teams punish you for your errors, Richmond has taught us that these past 4 years.

He has the potential to play a huge role in us winning the flag, he has the potential to go the other way too. It's just the latter I'd like to see minimised somehow.

I'm not really talking about his 2 games this year, I'm more reflecting on his last few years. He has carried us on his own shoulders many times, like Joel has done too, there's just too many times when he turns it over in bad spots and it has our defence scrambling. He can be very good hitting a moving target when he's on the move, he can be horribly woeful too. I actually like it when he needs to use his left foot, it seems to slow him down a touch and makes him concentrate on it.

When you maybe on your last chance of winning a flag, the less errors you make, the bigger chance you have of beating the best teams. The best teams punish you for your errors, Richmond has taught us that these past 4 years.

He has the potential to play a huge role in us winning the flag, he has the potential to go the other way too. It's just the latter I'd like to see minimised somehow.

He wasnt even remotely close to “carrying us” last season. The bloke averaged 21 disposals a game. Thats far from carrying a team.

Our best season played since dangerfield had arrived was when he took a back seat in 2020.

He wasnt even remotely close to “carrying us” last season. The bloke averaged 21 disposals a game. Thats far from carrying a team.

Our best season played since dangerfield had arrived was when he took a back seat in 2020.

I never said he carried us last year. I said I was reflecting on his past few seasons rather than just 2 games this year and that he and Joel had at times carried us. I agree with the rest of what you've said. Chris Scott needs to be smarter in how he is used and Danger needs to be smarter in how he plays.

I never said he carried us last year. I said I was reflecting on his past few seasons rather than just 2 games this year and that he and Joel had at times carried us. I agree with the rest of what you've said. Chris Scott needs to be smarter in how he is used and Danger needs to be smarter in how he plays.

I like the idea of him as a HF pushing up around the stoppages to be an extra mid if needed or play deep if we are ontop. Its flexibilty given the development of our own in the guts.

It also makes more sense to throw joel into the thick of things as opposed to putting him on a wing as a utility. Let joel do what joel does best and go in and under.. He is causing enough damage for opposition teams to feel they need to tag him, that says something about the influence joel is having.

He has also lost a little bit of top speed dangerfield, probably due to injuries mostly.
I think putting him as a HFF who pushes up to stoppages or forward depending on state of play works alot more damaging to opposition teams and improves our structure more because all of a sudden rohan instead of getting the third defender gets now the fourth defender.. And how can you properly zone off and defend when you have cameron hawkins rohan dangerfield as marking options?? There is no longer a ratugolea style situation of 2019 to peel off all day and intercept from like richmond did.

I like the idea of him as a HF pushing up around the stoppages to be an extra mid if needed or play deep if we are ontop. Its flexibilty given the development of our own in the guts.

It also makes more sense to throw joel into the thick of things as opposed to putting him on a wing as a utility. Let joel do what joel does best and go in and under.. He is causing enough damage for opposition teams to feel they need to tag him, that says something about the influence joel is having.

He has also lost a little bit of top speed dangerfield, probably due to injuries mostly.
I think putting him as a HFF who pushes up to stoppages or forward depending on state of play works alot more damaging to opposition teams and improves our structure more because all of a sudden rohan instead of getting the third defender gets now the fourth defender.. And how can you properly zone off and defend when you have cameron hawkins rohan dangerfield as marking options?? There is no longer a ratugolea style situation of 2019 to peel off all day and intercept from like richmond did.

Yep, I like the idea of centre bounces and stoppages, working between the back of the square all the way to the full forward line. He doesn't need to go deep back, keep him down the line or in the corridor somewhere, with his overhead and ground ball strength as a get out option for the defenders.

So far we are 3 wins and 1 loss without him - will be interesting what our tally is once he's fit again.
What if we win 5 or more of the next 7 without him?
I'm not sold on him as a part time forward - if he's forward I'd rather he train for that and have occasional spells on the ball. His set shots would need to improve a lot though.
I like what Port have done with Boak - they've built a midfield around him allowing him to play with less reliance and pressure on him to perform - as a result he's booming. Let's use the next 7 weeks to boost our midfield and cover his loss.

I'd like to see Danger back as a mid , with greater support and a willingness to make his team mates better players by playing his role - and that's not being the star attraction. Be more like Boak , Pendlebury or Bont - look for your team mates and involve them.

So far we are 3 wins and 1 loss without him - will be interesting what our tally is once he's fit again.
I'm not sold on him as a part time forward - if he's forward I'd rather he train for that and have occasional spells on the ball. His set shots would need to improve a lot though.
I like what Port have done with Boak - they've built a midfield around him allowing him to play with less reliance and pressure on him to perform - as a result he's booming. Let's use the next 7 weeks to boost our midfield and cover his loss.

I'd like to see Danger back as a mid , with greater support and a willingness to make his team mates better players by playing his role - and that's not being the star attraction. Be more like Boak , Pendlebury or Bont - look for your team mates and involve them.

I dont see why he cant play a hybrid role of pushing up around the contest and pushing forward. Typically most flankers do in modern footy, its not old fashioned days anymore. Is miers a forward or a mid?? He spends probably more time up the field than in forward line but is a HFF on paper.. Its just a paper position nothing more really.

My question would be will dangerfield cause more of a headache and impact working alongside hawkins cameron rohan in the forward fifty or getting contested posessioms in the middle.

Probably a way to look at it is.. If you were an opposition fan would you feel more comfortable seeing the ball kicked in long high one outs to dangerfield hawkins camern rohan.. Or would you prefee to see hawkins cameron rohan and dangerfield around the stoppage?? Which would cause more chaos with the dynamic.

I think it was last week they had Dusty's heat map up. He attends centre bounces and then moves forward and primarily operated there until the next centre bounce.

Without sounding like I'm bagging Danger, I'd really like to see him working on his handballing too, it's pretty ordinary and he's not the Lone Ranger in that department, Blicavs is ordinary, Harry Taylor was dreadful, Tomahawk is ordinary too. They don't need to be Diesel Williams or Corey Enright scooping it up one handed and then firing it 45m forward, but at least proficient in one of the most basic skills in the game. It's an area that could potentially, really strengthen us.

I think it was last week they had Dusty's heat map up. He attends centre bounces and then moves forward and primarily operated there until the next centre bounce.

Without sounding like I'm bagging Danger, I'd really like to see him working on his handballing too, it's pretty ordinary and he's not the Lone Ranger in that department, Blicavs is ordinary, Harry Taylor was dreadful, Tomahawk is ordinary too. They don't need to be Diesel Williams or Corey Enright scooping it up one handed and then firing it 45m forward, but at least proficient in one of the most basic skills in the game. It's an area that could potentially, really strengthen us.
Tommy Hawkins is the best handballer in the game today.
Agree on the others though.
Sam Simpson is a ripper handball if he ever brings his VFL style into the AFL.
Not sure he will though.

Not sure he will though.

Cunnington is the best going around for mine. Never looks rushed and seems to hit every target.

I like our team better when Simpson is in it.

Can't get back soon enough for mine. Pretty sure they won't rush him for Saturday but I'd be fine if he was straight back in.

Genuine asset in the mids group and up forward. Tough, accountable and creative. Another big part of our future is the #37.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you saying his turnovers aren't detrimental to the team?

I assume he fulfils his role as he doesn't get dropped.

He's a ballistic footballer, I live how he plays, mostly, but we haven't won it in the 5 years we've had him and this year is just about our last shout. We need to win it, if we don't our recent recruitment policy will be a complete failure and a disaster.

He needs to be used smarter when he's back.

I'm not sure about this idea that Geelong drops off a cliff after this year. They have 'contended' for close to twenty years, so managing a list is something the club does well. I also see some exciting and very underrated younger talent coming through.

Dangerfield's disposal by foot is his weakness; no argument there. But surely that needs to be weighed up against what he has provided, which is immense. Few players can personally sway a game's result, and he is one of those few.

I don't know what his role is precisely; none of us does. But like most elite players, I imagine he's given greater lee-way to make the play happen and take on the game individually. Some then view this as 'selfish' and 'undisciplined'. But his commitment, from what I have seen, is exemplary.

Not sure he will though.
I haven't seen much of Max Holmes--just a couple of highlight reels and his match against Hawthorn. But I like his use of handball, especially his use of the long handball. The long handball is a dying art and needs to be revived.

I'm not sure about this idea that Geelong drops off a cliff after this year. They have 'contended' for close to twenty years, so managing a list is something the club does well. I also see some exciting and very underrated younger talent coming through.

Dangerfield's disposal by foot is his weakness; no argument there. But surely that needs to be weighed up against what he has provided, which is immense. Few players can personally sway a game's result, and he is one of those few.

I don't know what his role is precisely; none of us does. But like most elite players, I imagine he's given greater lee-way to make the play happen and take on the game individually. Some then view this as 'selfish' and 'undisciplined'. But his commitment, from what I have seen, is exemplary.

I'm not saying Geelong is falling off a cliff but once Selwood, Hawkins, Danger, Smith, Higgins go with Duncan, Stanley, Tuohy, Menegola, Blicavs not too far behind, we won't be contending, imo, for a period of time. Once they've mostly gone we'll then have Cam Guthrie and Jeremy Cameron on the wrong side of 30.

I never view Danger as unselfish, just massively determined and certainly committed, you've only got to see him fighting for loose balls in packs, he only seems to have one gear, full speed and no off switch, he just needs to take a breath and temper it on occasion.

Why would us failing to win a premiership necessarily mean our recruitment was the variable we fell down in? Teams miss out on premierships for all sorts of reasons.

The failure and disaster won't be not winning the premiership, it will be what comes after with all the draft picks we burnt to get our men and coming up short.

They were recruited to win it now, otherwise, why else would you get Higgins and Smith in?

The failure and disaster won't be not winning the premiership, it will be what comes after with all the draft picks we burnt to get our men and coming up short.

They were recruited to win it now, otherwise, why else would you get Higgins and Smith in?
Ah yes, pick #30 for Higgins and...

*checks notes*

Zilch for Smith

...are really going to cripple us for a decade.

Not really fussed about the injury because the way i see it, if our list is premiership material and the best going around, we will still be good enough without one player to finish top four. If we arent the best team and cant qualify then having him out there or not will end in the same result.

Dangerfield isnt the answer to us finishing top four or not, but will be required to be fit to help us get over the line come finals.

Excellent summation

Personally i think it is just a bit of a tragedy that Blight didnt coach him - because if he had of i think he put a great emphasis on improving that disposal to benefit the team -

With Ablett Snr - when Blight 1st arrived - he played him initially on a hbf - then when back as forward - Ablett had a habit of when getting the front position - he would back back back into the defender trying to draw the free kick - and would often lose his feet at the same time . Blight told him to stop doing that - and keep his feet - and thus still be in the contest

Dangerfield has been fantastic for Geel - artificially propped up the team for years - along with Joel - but under Blight i think Dangerfield would have gone to a level that he hasnt reached under C Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back