Analysis Dangerfield is a Danger to the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I think he has far too many personal opinions which conveniently align perfectly with the culture for change which Gillon has forced upon the game and is no more than a mouth piece for the AFL hierarchy.

I could be wrong, but every word which comes out of his mouth seems to be simply parroting Gillon's mantra, which is a thinly veiled attempt to appease the rights holders greed and stuff the footballing public.

He conveniently uses a few very late season injuries to support his opinon on the length of the season and the length of matches.
Not a single word even remotely touches on the dozens and dozens of injuries which occurred in the first 5 games of the season, or the next 5 or the next after that?
Convenient.
Stupid commercially driven voodoo "science". Unsupported and unscientific.

Which is exactly the same voodoo "science" they use to justify the pointless changes implemented over the last decade which see the game in constant flux to appease the "itchy" arses of the big wigs (apologies to all you big wogs) at AFL house trying to make their Media mates happy at the games and our expense.

They want a shorter format games to suit their programming, but more goals per game to ensure more commercial breaks, they not only spend less on air time but earn more in adverts.

Welcome to the World of AFLX. A stillborn half breed abortion, they are still trying to justify and constantly hark back to as if it were a success.

I don't know Dangerfield, but he really comes across as a sop. A company man.
Has from the first time he opened his mouth publicly.

I don't like it and if the AFL et al don't stop ******* around with the game I will be start losing interest...faster than I am already.

I hope Eddie gets off his arse, stops lubricating the dixkheads egos and puts the correct case to AFL...

Last edited:
Not a single word even remotely touches on the dozens and dozens of injuries which occurred in the first 5 games of the season, or the next 5 or the next after that?
No mention of the reduction in interchanges??:think:

I don't see Dangerfield ever bringing up any of the ludicrous rule changes which have been discredited or have been dismal failures.

This whole season has be tainted with constant talk of change for change sake in knee-jerked ill conceived and rush response to minor, weekly issues from the first round. There is a clear agenda being run by Romping Wins idiot brother..
It is obvious that the changes the media want will be forced through using any inane logic that Gillon and his cronies can muster.
Dangerfield really looks like nothing more than a paid accomplice.

Personally I think he has far too many personal opinions which conveniently align perfectly with the culture for change which Gillon has forced upon the game and is no more than a mouth piece for the AFL hierarchy.

I could be wrong, but every word which comes out of his mouth seems to be simply parroting Gillon's mantra, which is a thinly veiled attempt to appease the rights holders greed and stuff the footballing public.

He conveniently uses a few very late season injuries to support his opinon on the length of the season and the length of matches.
Convenient.

Which is exactly the same voodoo "science" they use to justify the pointless changes implemented over the last decade which see the game in constant flux to appease the "itchy" arses of the big wogs at AFL house trying to make their Media mates happy at the games and our expense.

They want a shorter format games to suit their programming, but more goals per game to ensure more commercial breaks, they not only spend less on air time but earn more in adverts.

Welcome to the World of AFLX. A stillborn half breed abortion, they are still trying to justify and constantly hark back to as if it were a success.

I don't like it and if the AFL et al don't stop ******* around with the game I will be start losing interest...faster than I am already.

I hope Eddie gets off his arse, stops lubricating the dixkheads egos and puts the correct case to AFL...

There are higher powers that run the AFL.. Gillon is just a puppet.

Screenshot_20180815-165142~2.png

I'm not sure why you're making Dangerfield the star of your rant, he already gets a bit more attention than he really deserves...although his role with the AFLPA entitles him to some sort of voice. You seem to have a problem with the AFL and its agenda, so why not focus more on that, rather than troubling too much about your sense of Paddy as a Parrot? Dangerfield just seems like a distraction here.

I'm not sure why you're making Dangerfield the star of your rant, he already gets a bit more attention than he really deserves...although his role with the AFLPA entitles him to some sort of voice. You seem to have a problem with the AFL and its agenda, so why not focus more on that, rather than troubling too much about your sense of Paddy as a Parrot? Dangerfield just seems like a distraction here.

Read the link. "Paddy" made the comments not me. If he had not I would not have raised them.

I am entitled to "my problem" with the current administrations agenda and to express it here,the appropriate place, being a member of the forum and the board, as are obviously, others. As to the issue of what I should focus on, possibly you should read more of my posts. It's not like I have not mentioned the issue many times...sans any mention to "paddy".
If you have no issue then fine. I have no problem with your opinion.

Convenient.

Which is exactly the same voodoo "science" they use to justify the pointless changes implemented over the last decade which see the game in constant flux to appease the "itchy" arses of the big wigs (apologies to all you big wogs) at AFL house trying to make their Media mates happy at the games and our expense.

AFL has changed and is it for the better ?
I can see in the future we will have zones/conferences as they do in the NFL in America.
Once i held out hope for a (fair draw) that each team plays each other twice,but that thought has passed.
Next will be a night Grand Final and as is now the majority attending will be the corporate people and the real fans will struggle for a ticket.
Players changing clubs mid year no doubt will come in.Or even coaches.
Where did the AFL bosses go wrong?
1.GWS
2.Gold Coast

Season is definitely to long. Sure injuries occur throughout but players are complaining that their bodies are " screaming out ' for a rest. The finals look to be about who can put a fit team on on the park.

I rarely listen to Dangerfield but can appreciate that fans are concerned about the direction of the game.

Read the link. "Paddy" made the comments not me. If he had not I would not have raised them.

I am entitled to "my problem" with the current administrations agenda and to express it here,the appropriate place, being a member of the forum and the board, as are obviously, others. As to the issue of what I should focus on, possibly you should read more of my posts. It's not like I have not mentioned the issue many times...sans any mention to "paddy".
If you have no issue then fine. I have no problem with your opinion.

I'm not denying that you're entitled to your opinion, or that you're entitled to air them here. And for what it's worth, I tend to agree with the flow of one of your gripes (i.e. the arguments about shortening the season, shortening the game etc.). My only point is that you've identified Paddy as a 'danger to the game', whereas I would say that his influence on the state of the game is rather minimal compared to a lot of other talking heads in the game.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s a big deal what Dangerfield thinks of says. Plenty of others around the industry spout rubbish (Robbo?) and yet are they considered a danger to the game?

People pay attention to what Dangerfield does on a footy field. What comes out of his mouth is of little consequence.

Yeah, sure, his position with AFLPA gives him a platform - but in that capacity he is representing his constituents (players) and therefore his position on these things shouldn’t come as a surprise to anybody.

AFL has changed and is it for the better ?
I can see in the future we will have zones/conferences as they do in the NFL in America.
Once i held out hope for a (fair draw) that each team plays each other twice,but that thought has passed.
Next will be a night Grand Final and as is now the majority attending will be the corporate people and the real fans will struggle for a ticket.
Players changing clubs mid year no doubt will come in.Or even coaches.
Where did the AFL bosses go wrong?
1.GWS
2.Gold Coast
Live trades during games....?
The game will change surely and always has but there has to be a reasonable justification. Not just to make some dick at Fox happy.
Gillon is no less than a whore to the media interested as far as I am concerned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not denying that you're entitled to your opinion, or that you're entitled to air them here. And for what it's worth, I tend to agree with the flow of one of your gripes (i.e. the arguments about shortening the season, shortening the game etc.). My only point is that you've identified Paddy as a 'danger to the game', whereas I would say that his influence on the state of the game is rather minimal compared to a lot of other talking heads in the game.
Play on words, no doubt...
Gotta have an attention seeking tag.

"Dangerfield ends Stephenson and De Goey's careers in order to suck the youth from them" seemed a bit over the top?

Live trades during games....?
The game will change surely and always has but there has to be a reasonable justification. Not just to make some dick at Fox happy.
Gillon is no less than a whore to the media interested as far as I am concerned.

Players trading clubs during the season,
As in the Rugby come week 2 players sign of to another team.
Do i like it NO!
I just wonder what direction the AFL wishes to go and not destroy a great game.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s a big deal what Dangerfield thinks of says. Plenty of others around the industry spout rubbish (Robbo?) and yet are they considered a danger to the game?

People pay attention to what Dangerfield does on a footy field. What comes out of his mouth is of little consequence.

Yeah, sure, his position with AFLPA gives him a platform - but in that capacity he is representing his constituents (players) and therefore his position on these things shouldn’t come as a surprise to anybody.
Isn't he talking as the President of the AFLPA and not as Patrick Dangerfield

Quoted for accuracy. Don't have as much against him as you but he's not a person whose opinion I have any desire to hear

Still focused on Dangerfied driving forward every time time he's tackled so he gets a free for in the back. Smart but annoying.

Quoted for accuracy. Don't have as much against him as you but he's not a person whose opinion I have any desire to hear
Seriously, I don't have anything against him, I just don't like his opinion and think it is transparently towing the line for Gillon and the "changemasters".
He can line up across the centre for the Pies any day, so long as he can co-habit with De Goey.

I never felt comfortable with the comments he made a couple of years ago during the AFLPA collective bargaining agreement.
"without us players there is no game".
Well guess what Patrick, without the fans, there is no money or game.

I was then really disappointed when he mentioned the players may go on strike if they couldn't come to an agreement on players getting a share of the AFLs revenue.

IMO the players get paid extremely well for what they do. I don't mind them campaigning for a pay rise every now and again as everyone has the right to do. But at the end of the day the average footy fan gets squeezed out financially over time, and will have to fork out more and more $ over time to enjoy what was once a very affordable, accessible, and inclusive game.

The thing that annoys me most about this is the fact that they keep putting their hand up to play. If you are feeling sore hey here is a novel idea, put your hand up and say coach I need a rest. If anything the AFL should consider the premier league model of everyone playing each other twice for consistency and equalization. Get more players on the roster and play mid week if need be. Everything that they are trying to introduce is to the detriment of the competition as it currently stands and the sport of Aussie Rules Football. If they want to introduce another competition they should invent a new sport and not hijack an already beautiful game.
A SEN listener had a great suggestion tonight. If they want less games, keep the season at 22 rounds and limit the number of games a player can play to 17. Player management then becomes part of the strategy without changing the on field rules. I like it.

The thing that annoys me most about this is the fact that they keep putting their hand up to play. If you are feeling sore hey here is a novel idea, put your hand up and say coach I need a rest. If anything the AFL should consider the premier league model of everyone playing each other twice for consistency and equalization. Get more players on the roster and play mid week if need be. Everything that they are trying to introduce is to the detriment of the competition as it currently stands and the sport of Aussie Rules Football. If they want to introduce another competition they should invent a new sport and not hijack an already beautiful game.
A SEN listener had a great suggestion tonight. If they want less games, keep the season at 22 rounds and limit the number of games a player can play to 17. Player management then becomes part of the strategy without changing the on field rules. I like it.

That wouldn't be fair to players like Crisp who are as durable as they come.

My query with Dangerfield as the AFLPA president is whether he truly speaks to and gauges a majority opinion, or whether he speaks to a select few (ie his Geelong team mates) and runs with that.

High on his agenda is shorter games. Something that has been the same for how long? Wonder how many other players agree with him...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back