Dangerfield + Kerridge + 53 = Milera + Menzel + Gore - Discuss

Remove this Banner Ad

They are different players, Gore is a pacey ball user with an elite kick but needs to learn how to get more of the ball, Matt is an elite ball-getter, but needs to learn to be more attacking by foot.

Matt just signed for 3 so he won't be going to St Kilda any time soon.

They'll sign Sloane

Watch the Hawthorn Final and note where the Hawks HB players set up and how they get/win the ball from a centre break.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk
Not arguing with that. Watched the same play over and over again. Frustrating. Cant completely blame Danger for that. Coach should have manned up that location and not allow a loose player to keep winning that specific spot.

I'm pretty stoked with our additions this year. We added pace , x factor and needed kicking ability.

We have a much balanced squad , in which players will be continueing to be fighting for spots

Hopefully next season we get a player like Sidebottom to add quality to the midfield

#weflyasone

Yeah I am wrapped with the pace. Hoping we get a bit more outside run. Don't shoot me down but even Mackay will be more suited to a running style of play. Will be very interesting. I just can't get over the Milera highlights. Natural and slick footy skills. Cameron may have to watch out ;)

I'm pretty happy that the club hasn't picked up relatively safe, vanilla type players and has gone with some real excitement and guys with at least the potential to even get close to standard of Dangerfield (Milera + Menzel). I also like that the club has put an emphasis on footskills and speed.

If Seedsman can play some decent footy that we know he's capable of, then that fills a real need.

I don't know anything about gore, Hampton or Doedee so no one will really know for a few years how we've faired

The important thing for me is that we have finally addressed the outside run issue where in previous years we have ignored it by thinking VB and DMac will get the job done
Agree we have done well in a area that has been problem a long time and done well to get some real talent into squad.
Think they tried but believe we need to added a future KPP player to our squad and therefore scratch my head why got another HBF might be mid no matter how much potential they believe have.

Craig Criwing

Not to mention in recent years we have been smashed by sides with outside speed, GWS and WB minor games are two good examples of this however now we have the resources not only to defend against the outside speed we can also return serve and give it back.....

Smith + Betts + Cameron + Hampton + Seedsman + Menzel + Milera = Crowbots are dead

I hope you're right but imagine how good our list would look if we had Sydneys zone consessions/cola and other teams father/son access.

I don't want to imagine how much better we'd be if we didn't get over-punished for Tippett, and the interstate clubs didn't get ridiculous concessions.

I think what is a real shame is that we won't see a crows team featuring Dangerfield winning the contested ball and feeding it out to all these speedy, better skilled players. He was good for us while he played, but imagine how much more damaging his possessions would have been if he had Milera, Menzel, Seedsman, Hampton etc waiting on the outside for the footy (compared to Wright, VB and Mackay)!

Sort of similar to how we had an awesome midfield with Ricciuto, McLeod, Goodwin etc but a crap forward line, imagine what they could have done with our current forward line lol.

The team is more than just one player, and on paper I think our best 22 is looking a lot stronger and more skilful overall than this year with Dangerfield, so have made the most of a bad situation, and will back in Pyke to implement a strong gameplan and hopefuilly drive us towards our 3rd premiership in the next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree we have done well in a area that has been problem a long time and done well to get some real talent into squad.
Think they tried but believe we need to added a future KPP player to our squad and therefore scratch my head why got another HBF might be mid no matter how much potential they believe have.
As you said I think the club did try to bring in a KPF in this draft but there simply wasn't one there.

IN
Dean Gore (traded from Geelong)
Curtly Hampton (traded from GWS)
Paul Seedsman (traded from Collingwood)
Troy Menzel (traded from Carlton)
Wayne Milera (National Draft, pick 11)
Tom Doedee (National Draft, pick 17)
Paul Hunter (Rookie Draft, pick 13)
Jonathon Beech (Rookie Draft, pick 31)
Hugh Greenwood (Category B rookie, pick 48)
Alex Keath (Category B rookie, pick 58)

OUT

James Podsiadly (retired)
Brent Reilly (retired)
Patrick Dangerfield (traded to Geelong)
Sam Kerridge (traded to Carlton)
Brodie Martin (delisted)
Sam Siggins (delisted)
Matthew Wright (delisted)
Anthony Wilson (rookie, delisted)
Jack Osborn (Category B rookie, delisted)

When you look at it on a whole you'd have to say that even with untried draftees the average skill level of our IN list is higher than our OUT list which can only be a good thing.

Having now caught up with all this I have to say that, on paper, it's hard to be anything other then circumspect about the result.

Take out Milera and we have 2 players not playing senior football for bottom 8 sides. Now I'm a fan of Gore. A team like Geelong don't offer a second deal to a first year player out of welfare. He's good, they knew it.

Menzel, and indeed Seedsman and Hampton were all 2015 non performers in bottom clubs. They replace the top player in a top 6 club. So there needs to be a bit of perspective I think.

Of course they may respond to new surrounds, but on exposed form it's far from guaranteed. We got what we could, fair enough. But right now we can't be certain that the outside run will benefit the league or the reserves side.

Having now caught up with all this I have to say that, on paper, it's hard to be anything other then circumspect about the result.

Take out Milera and we have 2 players not playing senior football for bottom 8 sides. Now I'm a fan of Gore. A team like Geelong don't offer a second deal to a first year player out of welfare. He's good, they knew it.

Menzel, and indeed Seedsman and Hampton were all 2015 non performers in bottom clubs. They replace the top player in a top 6 club. So there needs to be a bit of perspective I think.

Of course they may respond to new surrounds, but on exposed form it's far from guaranteed. We got what we could, fair enough. But right now we can't be certain that the outside run will benefit the league or the reserves side.
Pete, now is not the time for measured pragmatism, its the time for boundless optimism. Your time in the wilderness has made you bitter

Isn't the trading art ...to buy good players low?

By low i mean off the back of poor seasons, when there value is low ......but not low in talent

As you said I think the club did try to bring in a KPF in this draft but there simply wasn't one there.
Oh there was ....and with a bit of luck it could have fallen our way .....but the stars didn't align unfortunately

Remove this Banner Ad

Back