Dangerfield on Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

It's more a legal thing really.

With the growing medical evidence regarding head injuries, not doing all they can to protect the head opens them up to some pretty nasty law suits down the line.

Regardless of why they're there though, the rules ARE in the books, and under those rules, he looks like getting 2-3 weeks.
Will get nothing his media mates have started

Don’t give me this rubbish it was an accident and he’s not that sort of player. Dangerfield had just been bursting through midfield and ran down by Hamill, and clearly had a bit pissed off and took it out on Kelly. 3 weeks is a let off for him.
Like you'd know what he was thinking. LOL

While I agree there is a bit of wiggle room, and think there should be more, the fact is he bumped, didn't have to and knocked Kelly out...he can't not go for that. The only real discussion is over how long.

Personally, I think the way they handle impact is just wrong, and Dangerfield will go for longer than he really should in this case, but thinking that it should be different doesn't change the fact that he bumped (careless), the head was impacted (high contact) and Kelly was concussed resulting in him being out of the remainder of the game, and next week too (presumably high impact), which means 3 down to 2 under the current system.

Geelong coach Chris Scott says Patrick Dangerfield did everything he could to protect Jake Kelly in the bump that knocked out the Adelaide defender and forced him to be stretchered off the Adelaide Oval.

But Dangerfield appears likely to cop a lengthy suspension following the incident in Saturday’s upset Cats loss, based on precedent and the Match Review rules.

The Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph confirmed on Sunday that Kelly had sustained a broken nose.

“Confirms the likely severe grading, off to the tribunal,” he tweeted.

AFL 2021: Patrick Dangerfield bump, Jake Kelly, video, suspension, Adelaide Crows vs Geelong Cats, Brownlow Medal odds, reaction (foxsports.com.au)

minimum 3 weeks now

Put blokes to sleep in consecutive games. He's either very good at "bumping", or very bad at it.

Imagine if he gets off and were to do it again next round or even a week or two later. I could not even begin to imagine the media and public firestorm if that were to occur. Will get suspended for that if nothing else.

Imagine if he gets off and were to do it again next round or even a week or two later. I could not even begin to imagine the media and public firestorm if that were to occur. Will get suspended for that if nothing else.

Remember a couple of years back when Hawkins kept trying to be a big man with jumper punching opponents.., copped fines, ignored them and kept doing it.

Eventually the MRP just couldn't let it go any more and suspended him anyway, even though it didn't really qualify for a week under the rules.

From watching the replay, the bump seems fine, it’s just the accidental head collision that gets Kelly, but unfortunately will probably get a few weeks because of the outcome which is annoying, even tho I disagree.

What you mean like GAJ three weeks running?

Bad time to knock a player out without the ball given all the current media attention.

Danger will go despite AFL not wanting him to, otherwise this footage will be labelled ‘exhibit a’ in the players with brain damage v AFL court case.

Also whether there is malice or not, that’s two games in a row Danger has knocked a player out. It might be unintentional, but he needs to change his technique as he is a danger to every other player on the field. If you can’t bump without knocking people out, stop going the bump.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly.

He chose to bump. He hit him high. He knocked him in to next week.

The only question is high or severe. Given the damage done it has to be severe. Given its Dangerfield, it will probably be high.

Should be 3 weeks, will be 2.
What’s with your repeated hate for Dangerfield? Aren’t you capable of looking at it objectively?

Have an opinion by all means but trying to suggest he’s a dirty footballer is ludicrous. As is the assertion that he’ll get looked after ‘coz he’s Dangerfield.’ Didn’t work in a Brownlow year. Why would it work now?

He’s a ball player. Always has been. Cue “Oh but the GF incident?!” Spare me. Was never getting weeks for that.

This incident is hardly a hanging offence either but you wouldn’t know it with the whinging taking place. Yes, he’ll go (high contact, high impact) but it’s hardly a Rodney Grinter on Terry Wallace type incident. People suggesting intent are desperately clinging to the notion that he’s some sort of monster.

Imagine for a moment some sort of reasoned debate as to the incident without the hoopla ‘coz he’s Dangerfield?’

Tall poppy syndrome is alive and well.

Bad time to knock a player out without the ball given all the current media attention.

Danger will go despite AFL not wanting him to, otherwise this footage will be labelled ‘exhibit a’ in the players with brain damage v AFL court case.

Also whether there is malice or not, that’s two games in a row Danger has knocked a player out. It might be unintentional, but he needs to change his technique as he is a danger to every other player on the field. If you can’t bump without knocking people out, stop going the bump.
Rubbish. His technique in the GF was fine. His focus was the ball and there was a collision. Vlaustin was open and bore the brunt of the collision. Play on.

He’ll go for yesterday. It was careless and high impact. I don’t think he’s someone though who has a ‘history’ of this type of action. He’ll learn from yesterday but as I’ve said, it’s hardly a hanging offence.

Shouldnt go... just a footy collision

but all the nanas and dangerfield haters will be baying for blood

keep turning the game into soccer and netball
Game taken over by lawyers now. Worried about lawsuits down the track.
Shouldn't go for that bump, but will.

While I agree there is a bit of wiggle room, and think there should be more, the fact is he bumped, didn't have to and knocked Kelly out...he can't not go for that. The only real discussion is over how long.

Personally, I think the way they handle impact is just wrong, and Dangerfield will go for longer than he really should in this case, but thinking that it should be different doesn't change the fact that he bumped (careless), the head was impacted (high contact) and Kelly was concussed resulting in him being out of the remainder of the game, and next week too (presumably high impact), which means 3 down to 2 under the current system.
Rational post. Agreed.

The thing about the 'accidental head clash' line is that the head clash is really an entirely foreseeable consequence of the choice to bump. Just because something is an accident, that doesn't mean no one is at fault. That it's accidental is why it is graded 'careless' rather than 'intentional'.

What’s with your repeated hate for Dangerfield? Aren’t you capable of looking at it objectively?

Have an opinion by all means but trying to suggest he’s a dirty footballer is ludicrous. As is the assertion that he’ll get looked after ‘coz he’s Dangerfield.’ Didn’t work in a Brownlow year. Why would it work now?

He’s a ball player. Always has been. Cue “Oh but the GF incident?!” Spare me. Was never getting weeks for that.

This incident is hardly a hanging offence either but you wouldn’t know it with the whinging taking place. Yes, he’ll go (high contact, high impact) but it’s hardly a Rodney Grinter on Terry Wallace type incident. People suggesting intent are desperately clinging to the notion that he’s some sort of monster.

Imagine for a moment some sort of reasoned debate as to the incident without the hoopla ‘coz he’s Dangerfield?’

Tall poppy syndrome is alive and well.

Well said. Put these muppets in their place!
Under the rules we know it’ll start at 3 and we will argue for 2.
Nothing much else to say but the overreactions and hate are ridiculous.

You must work for the AFL spin department... Your post is utter rubbish.

Clark played on and was near BOG btw. Williams got a week based on what he could have 'potentially' done to injure. What happened to Kelly? Hospital?

View attachment 1081820

Danger late and in the air... Please take your blinkers off and stop talking sh*t. Dangerfield deserves so much more than Williams.

View attachment 1081818
That’s a perfect bump. All to the body.

if we want to Suspend it fine. But let’s just ban the bump. Penalties have to be for the action. Not the outcome.

So the 30 mins of the media during the game telling everyone he should get done was somehow interpreted by you as the media are trying to get him off?

the only reason Dustin Martin has a Brownlow is because Dangerfield got a ridiculous suspension for a tackle. The nerve to say the media looks after him is ridiculous. The media once injury trolled him cos he showed discomfort with a knee injury Ffs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back