Dangerfield on Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree but we are talking split seconds here, Kelly could of fumbled so Danger must apply pressure.
It’s just not football for me, but it’s the rules and it fits in perfectly with this new hybrid sport they now play.
This wasn't a split second decision. Dangerfield had the red mist, having just been unexpectedly caught HTB by Hamill. His sole purpose at that point was hurting the next Adelaide player to cross his path. He never even looked at the ball, from the moment he started his run 10+m away. He lined him up, accelerated, and jumped into him. His eyes were always & only on Kelly. His intent was always to hurt Kelly, albeit not by making contact with his head.

There is nothing about his actions which could be ascribed to instinctive split second decision making.

Dangerfield would still have been charged with rough conduct, even if the head clash didn't occur. The big difference is that he wouldn't have been looking at 3 weeks, because the impact rating wouldn't have been severe.

Should be no issue as long as it remains consistent. Danger is a nice and early example of what the players can expect.

Being high profile also makes him a good example.

Mind you, it's also a good example of how stuffed the system is, with it's focus on outcome rather than the action that caused it...There have been a number of examples of high contact over the past few weeks, and of them all, I'd say Danger made the best effort to avoid high contact...he just failed.

People jumping into bumps (yes, danger left the ground, but it was hardly a big leap) like Williams and McKay, or flinging elbows that landed high like Astbury, Daniher are worse *actions*, but get off with far lower penalties because they were lucky about the severity of the result.

As the system stands, Dangerfield got the correct penalty, but I can acknowledge that while still maintaining that the system is stuffed.
Trouble is, if they put the focus more heavily on the action, it'd require a lot more 'judgement calls' by the MRP, and people would go nuts over that too.

No issue with suspension as these are the rules now, my issue is what can the player do? He can’t tackle as it will be down field. Can’t bump because possible head contact. Is he supposed to just put some red carpet down and let the player waltz past him?
The AFL have set the rules and that’s fine, they should also come out and explain what they think Dangerfield should of done and show us in detail what they think he should of done. It is against all instincts to let player with ball simply take kick or handball or even run unimpeded.

He could've tried to smother. Cyril was a better player than Danger, Cyril would've of either smothered the ball or got a hand on it. In fact Cyril would've got up quicker off the deck and laid the tackle as he was quicker and liked to the defensive stuff.

Danger was frustrated for losing the ball and tried to do too much too late and decided to laterally bump into Kelly who had already released the handball.

He could've tried to smother. Cyril was a better player than Danger, Cyril would've of either smothered the ball or got a hand on it. In fact Cyril would've got up quicker off the deck and laid the tackle as he was quicker and liked to the defensive stuff.

Danger was frustrated for losing the ball and tried to do too much too late and decided to laterally bump into Kelly who had already released the handball.

Nonsense, Cyril would have teleported into position and received the ball before Kelly even got a hand on it.

This thread has taken a promising turn.

Can we get some more stories about what Cyril would have done?

You will never get any consensus here and this is the AFL's problem. The Bump is now over, people just love to hate on Dangerfield and their judgment is totally clouded because of it. There will always be football bias, the bump must join the slam tackle and sliding rule and become extinct! I love the bump, but in 2021 the repercussions of the action leave the AFL no choice now. The hate and vitriol by some fans is a greater issue, i suspect a new ruling on the bump at some point this year! The AFL have wanted it both ways for a long time, that time is up.

with s**t like this how can you sympathise with him, no contrition

1616549177816.png

This thread has taken a promising turn.

Can we get some more stories about what Cyril would have done?

I'm just showing another example of what another player with more talent and ability would've done instead of choosing to bump.

The thread discussion is about whether Dangerfield had any other reasonable plays to impede the player and there was certainly other options open to Danger but maybe he thought in those two seconds he wouldn't be able to excute them as well as a shirtfront.

I'm just showing another example of what another player with more talent and ability would've done instead of choosing to bump.

The thread discussion is about whether Dangerfield had any other reasonable plays to impede the player and there was certainly other options open to Danger but maybe he thought in those two seconds he wouldn't be able to excute them as well as a shirtfront.

Sorry, I don't want to read this.

Can you reply again, but maybe mention how Cyril would discuss this topic?

Dangerfield should have learnt from the last minutes of the last game he played before Adelaide. He was front and centre to watch a player anticipate a handball, time his run and intercept before disposing of the ball correctly, rather than line up the ball carrier at close to full speed.
CB130F91-345F-48F4-80CD-4D45D9E3A9BC.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

with sh*t like this how can you sympathise with him, no contrition

1616549177816.png

Kelly and many others will get far more harder bumps this year with no head contact and get straight up. It’s an accidental head clash. The rules state in this new sport Danger should be suspended and he has been. It’s no big deal and it’s still going to take many players a long fine to adjust to playing this new sport.

Kelly and many others will get far more harder bumps this year with no head contact and get straight up. It’s an accidental head clash. The rules state in this new sport Danger should be suspended and he has been. It’s no big deal and it’s still going to take many players a long fine to adjust to playing this new sport.
Read his comments

Except the act of jumping optimises the position of the attacker compared to the defender. By jumping Dangerfield was able to lead with his shoulder knowing that he was likely to do more damage to Kelly by hitting him higher and across a smaller impact zone with more force. If Dangerfield runs into Kelly they make contact in a tangle of legs, hips and torso - a huge impact zone across which the force would have been dissipated compared to what actually happened.
I thought the bump wasn’t banned? What you are describing is a bump.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back