Dangerfield on Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Accepted responsibility? Did you not hear that he acted in "self defense"? Looks like you missed that. Hes a key player in the Players Association for Christs sake. He does need to set an example if he wants to be elevated in status. He needed to do that immediately. If hes done that now its belated and very late.
You need to accept that he f’ed up, he copped the minimum penalty for what he did and move on.
And dont forget that Kelly will be out for a hell of a lot longer than Danger. Hes the victim here. Not Danger. Not the Cats. Kelly. Feel sorry for him, not yourself or Danger FFS
Yes, all yes. This was not a cowardly, behind the play attack, or a deliberate head tackle. There is a clear difference between a deliberate bump to the head and a bump which results in an accidental clash of heads. But under the new rules, you cop a suspension regardless. People like you are making out as if he committed a heinous crime, that he is conflicted and should now give up the AFPLA Player role, etc.

BTW, Adelaide FC is listing Kelly's injury as "1 - 2 weeks"

1-2 weeks is much longer than Dangerfield's zero
Yes, all yes. This was not a cowardly, behind the play attack, or a deliberate head tackle. There is a clear difference between a deliberate bump to the head and a bump which results in an accidental clash of heads. But under the new rules, you cop a suspension regardless. People like you are making out as if he committed a heinous crime, that he is conflicted and should now give up the AFPLA Player role, etc.

I'm not pro-gun but I've armed myself - got a duty of care to protect myself and my family when Kelly recovers and gets another disposal. This is not the same world we grew up in; I'd suggest you all take measures to protect those you love. The time to act is now!

As soon as Kelly got that ball and was looking to dispose of it to a teammate, and I saw poor defenceless Paddy several metres away nowhere near where Kelly was headed, I knew then that Paddy was in great peril and like all of Australia I held my breath hoping he'd somehow find a way to defend himself so he got to go home to his family that night.

Danger got lucky last week, Kelly's next victim might not be as fortunate...we can't continue to ignore it. What Kelly did is why mum's are sending their boys to play soccer instead of AFL.

I'm not pro-gun but I've armed myself - got a duty of care to protect myself and my family when Kelly recovers and gets another disposal. This is not the same world we grew up in; I'd suggest you all take measures to protect those you love. The time to act is now!

As soon as Kelly got that ball and was looking to dispose of it to a teammate, and I saw poor defenceless Paddy several metres away nowhere near where Kelly was headed, I knew then that Paddy was in great peril and like all of Australia I held my breath hoping he'd somehow find a way to defend himself so he got to go home to his family that night.

Danger got lucky last week, Kelly's next victim might not be as fortunate...we can't continue to ignore it. What Kelly did is why mum's are sending their boys to play soccer instead of AFL.
Kelly's a weakling. Are you old enough to remember Peter Caven's vicious headbutt to Tony Lockett's elbow?

Has he set an example youre happy with?

Not talking about the bump, youve agreed it was a poorly executed attempt, the resulting suspension justified. We agree.
Have his subsequent actions satisfied you? ie pleading self defense?

Ive never claimed it was anything more than a poorly executed attempt, he had choices and didnt have to bump at all, when he made that choice and injured Kelly he was always copping minimum 3 weeks. Geelong fans (not you necessarily) defending him, him calling it self defense, no empathy shown to the injured player, all of that is very poor form for anyone but particularly someone in his position. It was a clearly indefensible act and the fans who attempted to were wrong and blinkered. And that blinkered approach (not from you as I recall) created responses like mine.

Hard to believe a fractured cheek and broken nose = 1-2 weeks. Concussion alone is 2 weeks

Has he set an example youre happy with?

Not talking about the bump, youve agreed it was a poorly executed attempt, the resulting suspension justified. We agree.
Have his subsequent actions satisfied you? ie pleading self defense?

Ive never claimed it was anything more than a poorly executed attempt, he had choices and didnt have to bump at all, when he made that choice and injured Kelly he was always copping minimum 3 weeks. Geelong fans (not you necessarily) defending him, him calling it self defense, no empathy shown to the injured player, all of that is very poor form for anyone but particularly someone in his position. It was a clearly indefensible act and the fans who attempted to were wrong and blinkered. And that blinkered approach (not from you as I recall) created responses like mine.

Hard to believe a fractured cheek and broken nose = 1-2 weeks. Concussion alone is 2 weeks
I've moved on. I think Dangerfield's choice of words was unfortunate and I'm sure he regrets what he said. To me he was trying to say that he didn't think he had any choice than to bump so that being the case he had to ensure he didn't hurt himself in the process.

As for lacking empathy, do we know whether Dangerfield has spoken to Kelly? I'd bet they have as they are friends, and just because nothing was said on the field at the time, does not mean he lacked/lacks empathy. He was probably dazed himself initially and very embarrassed that his bump resulted in Kelly being subbed out.

I'll defend Dangerfield within reason. Contrary to what some are saying he is not a dirty player

I've moved on. I think Dangerfield's choice of words was unfortunate and I'm sure he regrets what he said. To me he was trying to say that he didn't think he had any choice than to bump so that being the case he had to ensure he didn't hurt himself in the process.

As for lacking empathy, do we know whether Dangerfield has spoken to Kelly? I'd bet they have as they are friends, and just because nothing was said on the field at the time, does not mean he lacked/lacks empathy. He was probably dazed himself initially and very embarrassed that his bump resulted in Kelly being subbed out.

I'll defend Dangerfield within reason. Contrary to what some are saying he is not a dirty player
Im not saying hes a dirty player. Others in the comp are far worse and I'll always call Toby Greene a dirty slug, Dangers nothing like that. Dangers choice of words and lack of obvious empathy created a lot of the angst against him.

Dont forget he didnt have to bump, he had options. As soon as he chose to bump he executed it well, protected himself wile trying to impact the oppo, it was certainly accidental that he inflicted the damage he did, but he did, through his own choice, did nothing obvious to mitigate, claimed falsely that it was false defense and wore a bandage to the tribunal.

All that I, and most of the non-cats here, have been saying is he could and should have done things much much much better. And cats fans defending him have led to the backlash and in some cases overreaction.

Having said all that your club does have a case of the Scotts about them, leading the league in suspensions.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back