Review Dangerfield: What's up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember everyone around town saying he was sensational in the Hawks game and really tried to get us over the line.

Still he hasn't dominated a final like Tex has. Ripping apart Freo singlehandedly - damn that was a good night.

Tippett was the star of the Hawks game.

I'd find it hard to split from the following

-1998 semi v Sydney
-2002 prelim v Collingwood
- 2005 semi v Port
-2003 elimination v West Coast

Was easily the club's best player in both premiership years too. Easily.
Being the best player in those years is not the same as being the best performed on the big stage.
Clearly struggled in his only flag win. Useful 2nd half though.

I certainly have no issues with his performance in bigger games - but we did have guys shine brighter when we needed it most.

He only got 4 goals. Walker got that in the prelim as well. Tippett was good in the prelim but was far from a star.
Surely you jest, he was bloody outstanding, absolutely rag dolled Schoenmakers and everybody else the Hawks tried!

He only got 4 goals. Walker got that in the prelim as well. Tippett was good in the prelim but was far from a star.

You clearly have an excellent understanding of the game.

By your reasoning the judges erred in awarding the Norm Smith to McLeod instead of Ellen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well yeah, the McLeods and D. Jarmans of the world obviously, but I wouldn't have thought it'd be a terribly long list.

Roo did miss 97.
I know. I don't remember him really dominating a final... do remember a less than impressive first half to the 98 GF.
Missing 97.
Missing key final in 05...
Missing key finals in 06...
Stinking up his last game, elimination final 07...

Clearly some of that just bad luck. And I love the guy to death - undeniable superstar. But an undeniable superstar that you couldn't point at and say had a dominant role in finals.

Clearly some of that just bad luck. And I love the guy to death - undeniable superstar. But an undeniable superstar that you couldn't point at and say had a dominant role in finals.

I think you're underestimating his input in the '98 finals series.

And those games I mentioned he did dominate. Especially Chad's "dream final."

I know. I don't remember him really dominating a final... do remember a less than impressive first half to the 98 GF.
Missing 97.
Missing key final in 05...
Missing key finals in 06...
Stinking up his last game, elimination final 07...

Same could be said about Akermanis. Struggled in finals until he kicked 5 against Collingwood in 2003. Finals don't make or break the superstar, but they sure do help

If that was the case 19 players would have been off to Sydney. One of the worst performances our club has put forward.

Dare I say it, but we were brutally out-coached in that Sydney game, and had no idea how to react to Sydney's style of play.

The positive is, Freo came out and played the exact same way, and for the first half, we were clueless against it - but we adjusted during the breaks and overcame it.

I'll happily watch them again ;)

There is no doubt he had decent finals games and was a superstar player. Just wanted to bring up a debate after you said superstars are the guys who prove it in finals.. I think its arguable he had enough finals under performances to create the debate.

Think I've posted here before my memory of the dream final is awfully hazy after finding some like minded footy nuts in Korea and sinking into the piss.
I remember being shocked at half time when I turned around to abuse the port supporter who'd been there at the start to find he was gone, the blues and eagles supporters laughing their ass off at me for the state I was already in and my then girlfriend now wife (who had tracked down these guys via some westerner newsletter for me) just shaking her head in the corner. Never see me that drunk since I don't think. Very very hazy memories after Macca's goal to the northern end....

Surely you jest, he was bloody outstanding, absolutely rag dolled Schoenmakers and everybody else the Hawks tried!

Idk just didn't stand out as a colossal hero when I was watching it on the day. Probably moreso because I don't rate Schoenmakers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back