Analysis Dangerfields drop in form

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems we're very light-on for genuine MIDs. Below are the players on our list who I feel are genuine MIDs (not wingmen). It's clear our most experienced are 30 or turning 30, while the next group is seriously inexperienced.

Do we need to forget about winning a flag and put guys like Parfitt, O'Connor, Narkle, Simpson and Holmes ahead of Selwood, Danger, Higgins?

NameGamesAge
Selwood, Joel33433
Dangerfield, Patrick28531
Higgins, Shaun25433
Duncan, Mitchell23630
Guthrie, Cameron20529
Parfitt, Brandan9523
O'Connor, Mark6525
Narkle, Quinton3024
Simpson, Sam1923
Holmes, Max919

It seems we're very light-on for genuine MIDs. Below are the players on our list who I feel are genuine MIDs (not wingmen). It's clear our most experienced are 30 or turning 30, while the next group is seriously inexperienced.

Do we need to forget about winning a flag and put guys like Parfitt, O'Connor, Narkle, Simpson and Holmes ahead of Selwood, Danger, Higgins?

NameGamesAge
Selwood, Joel33433
Higgins, Shaun25433
Duncan, Mitchell23630
Guthrie, Cameron20529
Parfitt, Brandan9523
O'Connor, Mark6525
Narkle, Quinton3024
Simpson, Sam1923
Holmes, Max919

Definitely need to groom a younger batch of midfielders. But there's zero chance of what you suggest happening.

NameGamesAge
Selwood, Joel33433
Higgins, Shaun25433
Duncan, Mitchell23630
Guthrie, Cameron20529
Parfitt, Brandan9523
O'Connor, Mark6525
Narkle, Quinton3024
Simpson, Sam1923
Holmes, Max919

Need to get some games into Cooper Stephens and perhaps even Knevitt, although he shapes as a modern CHF as much as anything as far as I can see.

Parfitt to me is the key as to whether this next group of mids can gel; genuine two-way midfielder at his best - he's had ups and downs I'll not dispute that.
But if this current house that Geelong built is to progress then Parfitt's continued development will likely be in the midst of things.

Like nearly everybody else I am a fan of Max Holmes and his potential. He will have the aerobic capacity to compete at AFL level for years to come at the very least.
Developing his decision-making and execution of skills will be his next summit to climb. He's already pretty well advanced.

Of those you've listed, S.Simpson and Q. Narkle are the next most likely, with Merrick O'Connor perhaps starting to feel the pinch.
Simpson might be handy in a couple of roles moving forward, but Narkle is more of a wildcard;I've been an advocate but I'm not sure his defensive game balances that which he provides offensively. I'd love to see him step it up a level because he is a fun player to watch when he's on.

It's not a lot to build around (and I am very much a doubter of the 2022 campaign; a genuine fence-sitter n' all) but there's a little more life in stalwarts Guthrie and Duncan than I've allowed, and Dangerfield will yet have a say in 2022.

Ultimately I still think Selwood's our most effective midfielder, with Duncan not far behind.

Need to get some games into Cooper Stephens and perhaps even Knevitt, although he shapes as a modern CHF as much as anything as far as I can see.

Parfitt to me is the key as to whether this next group of mids can gel; genuine two-way midfielder at his best - he's had ups and downs I'll not dispute that.
But if this current house that Geelong built is to progress then Parfitt's continued development will likely be in the midst of things.

Like nearly everybody else I am a fan of Max Holmes and his potential. He will have the aerobic capacity to compete at AFL level for years to come at the very least.
Developing his decision-making and execution of skills will be his next summit to climb. He's already pretty well advanced.

Of those you've listed, S.Simpson and Q. Narkle are the next most likely, with Merrick O'Connor perhaps starting to feel the pinch.
Simpson might be handy in a couple of roles moving forward, but Narkle is more of a wildcard;I've been an advocate but I'm not sure his defensive game balances that which he provides offensively. I'd love to see him step it up a level because he is a fun player to watch when he's on.

It's not a lot to build around (and I am very much a doubter of the 2022 campaign; a genuine fence-sitter n' all) but there's a little more life in stalwarts Guthrie and Duncan than I've allowed, and Dangerfield will yet have a say in 2022.

Ultimately I still think Selwood's our most effective midfielder, with Duncan not far behind.

He's been a bit "out of sight, out of mind" but looking at that list, Simpson missing the 2021 season is looking a bigger loss than we might think.

2020 was a real break-out season for him and can only imagine how he'd be looking with another year of senior experience under his belt. Could have firmly established himself as best 22 (he practically was in 2020 once in the team) and our midfield depth would be looking not quite as thin.

He's been a bit "out of sight, out of mind" but looking at that list, Simpson missing the 2021 season is looking a bigger loss than we might think.

Not sure what people are seeing in Simpson. He is a good prospect but like Close, Fogarty, Miers, they have very little upside. Not enough to imply their loss hurts the team overall.
Goes in hard which we could do more of but hopefully Holmes, De Koning, Stephens can come in and really help push the club to the next level.

Not sure what people are seeing in Simpson. He is a good prospect but like Close, Fogarty, Miers, they have very little upside. Not enough to imply their loss hurts the team overall.
Goes in hard which we could do more of but hopefully Holmes, De Koning, Stephens can come in and really help push the club to the next level.

Don't know about little upside - he improved a long way in 2020. Maybe he's peaked and maybe he can still grow, it's hard to say until he's back on the park (either in seniors or VFL).

I don't think he'll ever be A-grade, but could be a solid contributor. (Yeah, I know we need A+ talent but that doesn't mean we should be discarding anyone who's not at that level - not that you said that).

Can see Danger will be back to his best this year, they say that injury he had takes a long time to get power back in your running
Feels like he has been hobbled by various injuries for a few seasons now. I’m backing him in for a good year (fingers crossed)
OConnor is another that I hope can get back to his best.

Don't know about little upside - he improved a long way in 2020. Maybe he's peaked and maybe he can still grow, it's hard to say until he's back on the park (either in seniors or VFL).

I don't think he'll ever be A-grade, but could be a solid contributor. (Yeah, I know we need A+ talent but that doesn't mean we should be discarding anyone who's not at that level - not that you said that).
Yes, I thought he was the revelation of 2020. A type of player we haven't seen much of since the glory days: someone who is just prepared to do the basics very very well. Hard at it and good skills - what more can you ask for? It's such a shame he had an injury interrupted season last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looked very comfortable on the wing vs Richmond.
He seemed very comfortable there.
The problem is that we have a few players rotating into that position.
Smith, MenEbola, with cameos from Selwood, Duncan and probably a few others. Wing seems to be a dumping ground position under Scott and he would probably put more emphasis on a defensive mindset. Close‘s strengths lean more towards attack. Will be interesting to see where he ends up in a ‘full strength’ Scott set up.

He seemed very comfortable there.
The problem is that we have a few players rotating into that position.
Smith, MenEbola, with cameos from Selwood, Duncan and probably a few others. Wing seems to be a dumping ground position under Scott and he would probably put more emphasis on a defensive mindset. Close‘s strengths lean more towards attack. Will be interesting to see where he ends up in a ‘full strength’ Scott set up.
Please no jokes about infectious deadly viruses and the Geelong Football Club.. Before we know it, it will be an excuse for a Rd 1 loss. I can just see the post-game report - "we tried to have the game called off as half our list had severe bleeding and organ failure, but the AFL said the game must go on.."

Please no jokes about infectious deadly viruses and the Geelong Football Club.. Before we know it, it will be an excuse for a Rd 1 loss. I can just see the post-game report - "we tried to have the game called off as half our list had severe bleeding and organ failure, but the AFL said the game must go on.."

Yea..thats bound to happen...

I guess the thing to watch is if terminally ill players are replaced by emergencies. Like last time.

Oh wait.

Danger still looks pretty good to me, although I think he will spend 50/50 time in the mid and fwd line, as the tanks never being great, still the most explosive player in the league, great mark for his size, I'm far more worried about Joel, he's a liability in the midfield and can't play anywhere else, why the club didn't have a hard cono with him at the end of last season, like they did with Bartel, Kelly, chappy and Stevie J is beyond me, they could have used Joel's wage to get cerra, all of a sudden our midfield would look a lot better

Danger still looks pretty good to me, although I think he will spend 50/50 time in the mid and fwd line, as the tanks never being great, still the most explosive player in the league, great mark for his size, I'm far more worried about Joel, he's a liability in the midfield and can't play anywhere else, why the club didn't have a hard cono with him at the end of last season, like they did with Bartel, Kelly, chappy and Stevie J is beyond me, they could have used Joel's wage to get cerra, all of a sudden our midfield would look a lot better
Centre bounce attendances in our game against Gold Coast:

21- Stanley
16 - Cuthrie
14 - Danger
13 - Narkle
12 - Parfitt
10 - Holmes

I think Danger is pegged for a bit more than 50/50 midfield time. Especially now we already have more than enough marking targets forward: Hawkins, Jezza, Esava, Rohan, etc.

It was a preseason game, but for the first time in a while I saw the PFD explosion of pace in the first few steps.

Clearly not in a defensive act, but it was good to see with ball in hand. Hope it can last till at least mid year.

GO Catters

NameGamesAge
Selwood, Joel33433
Higgins, Shaun25433
Duncan, Mitchell23630
Guthrie, Cameron20529
Parfitt, Brandan9523
O'Connor, Mark6525
Narkle, Quinton3024
Simpson, Sam1923
Holmes, Max919

I would just run a deep rotation with Selwood, Danger, Duncan, Guthrie, Parfitt, Simpson Stephens, Holmes. That means guys like Dahlhaus and Higgins don't get games and players like Selwood, Danger, Duncan and Menegola have to spend more time fwd/back. I'd like to see Simpson, Stephens, and Holmes get 15+ games but it's not game time for our leaders that would get sacrificed it's mature fringe players like Higgins, Dahlhaus, Kolo, Zuthrie, and Rohan.

The kids develop more in a winning team that makes finals. That should be the goal.

I would just run a deep rotation with Selwood, Danger, Duncan, Guthrie, Parfitt, Simpson Stephens, Holmes. That means guys like Dahlhaus and Higgins don't get games and players like Selwood, Danger, Duncan and Menegola have to spend more time fwd/back. I'd like to see Simpson, Stephens, and Holmes get 15+ games but it's not game time for our leaders that would get sacrificed it's mature fringe players like Higgins, Dahlhaus, Kolo, Zuthrie, and Rohan.

The kids develop more in a winning team that makes finals. That should be the goal.

It's funny out of all the options for midfielders transitioning to other roles, the one obvious to me is never mentioned - Duncan to half back. By far the best user of the ball out of those four, he's actually well equipped to move to that role and really deliver it well to teammates. Surprised it hasn't been spoken of more.

It's funny out of all the options for midfielders transitioning to other roles, the one obvious to me is never mentioned - Duncan to half back. By far the best user of the ball out of those four, he's actually well equipped to move to that role and really deliver it well to teammates. Surprised it hasn't been spoken of more.
He’s been played off the back of the square in a kind of half back role before. A few seasons ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back