News Dani (Dean) Laidley arrested in St. Kilda - "spared a conviction and placed on an 18-month adjourned undertaking"

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
...so she has to write a letter of thanks to the police? After what happened? That's ****ing horrendous.

Nothing to do with that whatsoever mate.

It's Laidley's own criminal behaviour to be charged not what happened after arrested about being sorry.

Other action on her behalf can be taken.

Last edited:

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very glad this has been diverted to give her a better chance at moving on. I’m only a couple of years older and can’t imagine the burden of living with this for so long, let alone in such an unforgiving and public workplace. I guess standing in Plugger’s path a breeze by comparison. Transitioning is a very hard road but I hope it all gets better from here.

You never know but taking this (bad...in terms of legality) road might have been best in long run, and some time coming.

Can now just be at peace with the future (I hope).

I'm just glad that Dean found peace and has transitioned to become Dani, a person who she must have felt she was for decades.
I just hope people can be mature and respectful. The police clearly were not in the incident, which is unprofessional. Laidley made a huge contribution to our club as a premiership player and coach.

Having people inside the club telling others that he was a cross dresser whilst he was coach also was a bit disrespectful of his privacy. At least the media didn't report it for years, until the police photos surfaced.

Nothing to do with that whatsoever mate.

It's Laidley's own criminal behaviour to be charged not what happened after arrested about being sorry.

Other action on his behalf can be taken.

I get that it's separate but I don't understand why a letter of thanks to the police should ever be a condition for anything. The police are doing their job and the decision whether to press charges or divert should be based on what's good for the community not as a favour to an individual. I understand "Sorry" but "thanks"?

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I get that it's separate but I don't understand why a letter of thanks to the police should ever be a condition for anything. The police are doing their job and the decision whether to press charges or divert should be based on what's good for the community not as a favour to an individual. I understand "Sorry" but "thanks"?

You are way over thinking it. It's basic Crim which thankfully I don't do anymore.

The "thanks" is basically an acknowledgement as it's "thanking the Police" for not taking that matter further which they could have regardless of being "sorry".

Dani has already done that quite clearly, otherwise she wouldn't have got the Diversion order in her favour if no regret was obviously shown prior.

Last edited:

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
North with the first female senior coach in AFL history.

Lisa Alexander, in your face.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think it's just the drugs charges that have been dealt with. She's back in court in March for the other stuff.

Yes but they will be dealt with. If a danger Dani would not be given leeway on drugs and be in public.

Plus she's done time already. Huge slap on the wrist on the way imo

Former North Melbourne coach Dani Laidley spared conviction despite guilty plea for stalking woman
Georgie MoorePerthNow
November 18, 2020 11:19AM

Former AFL coach Dani Laidley has been spared a conviction for stalking a woman, leaving flowers on her car and calling her 43 times in one day.
The 53-year-old formerly known as Dean loitered outside and took photos of the woman’s Melbourne home and also attended her workplace with flowers between April 25 and May 2.
“I want to walk you down the aisle. I want to make you the happiest person in the world,” Laidley said in one message.
“Let me in. We are meant to be together.”
Laidley was spared a conviction and placed on an 18-month adjourned undertaking in Melbourne Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday after pleading guilty to stalking.
Seven other charges, including using a carriage service to menace, were dismissed.

Laidley, a 1996 premiership winner and later coach with the Kangaroos, began a gender transition a year ago.
She was “humiliated” when a police mug shot of her in a blonde wig and dress was shared among officers and leaked to the media following her arrest earlier this year.
Victoria Police suspended seven employees and transferred another six to other duties after the leak.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Former North Melbourne coach Dani Laidley spared conviction despite guilty plea for stalking woman
Georgie MoorePerthNow
November 18, 2020 11:19AM

Former AFL coach Dani Laidley has been spared a conviction for stalking a woman, leaving flowers on her car and calling her 43 times in one day.
The 53-year-old formerly known as Dean loitered outside and took photos of the woman’s Melbourne home and also attended her workplace with flowers between April 25 and May 2.
“I want to walk you down the aisle. I want to make you the happiest person in the world,” Laidley said in one message.
“Let me in. We are meant to be together.”
Laidley was spared a conviction and placed on an 18-month adjourned undertaking in Melbourne Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday after pleading guilty to stalking.
Seven other charges, including using a carriage service to menace, were dismissed.

Laidley, a 1996 premiership winner and later coach with the Kangaroos, began a gender transition a year ago.
She was “humiliated” when a police mug shot of her in a blonde wig and dress was shared among officers and leaked to the media following her arrest earlier this year.
Victoria Police suspended seven employees and transferred another six to other duties after the leak.

"Spared" after what they did?! :D

Gee what big hearts they have.

VicPol public relations 101.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ahhhh, no it isn't.

The judge could have imposed a sentence for the 'crimes' committed. And would have been within their rights to do so.

And unless it was stated in the judgement that no punishment is being awarded specifically because of her treatment at the hands of the police, what are you basing your assertion on?

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Criminal charges will be placed but maybe Civil too if Dani feels she wants to.

No mention of that yet so maybe moving forward which is not a bad option.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Because I would have thought it would be an extremely fast and easy investigation. One cop took the photos (Dani in questioning and the database) and sent them to colleagues who then forwarded them to their own circles. There would be easily obtained digital records of everything. Unless they've also been investigating to see if any of those involved have made similar breaches in the past, which would be fair enough now that I think about it, I wouldn't have thought there would be too many roadblocks to pressing charges and laying internal sanctions.

Probably naïve of me I suppose.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Probably naïve of me I suppose.

In a perfect world your post is correct.

Unfortunately Dani is closer to us so expect quicker action etc, but there's so many investigations that don't reach the news mean it takes ages.

Look at NRL De Belins trial. Was no verdict and said no chance of another hearing for nearly a year as fully booked already.......

Back