Senior Daniel Butler

Remove this Banner Ad

Butler-Trade-940x599.jpg

Premiership forward Dan Butler has become the Saints’ fifth recruit of the Trade Period after a deal was confirmed between the St Kilda and Richmond today.

The Saints received the speedster in exchange for pick No. 56 in this year’s draft.

Dan Butler highlights - saints.com.au https://www.saints.com.au/video/2019-10-17/dan-butler-highlights

Premiership forward Dan Butler has become the Saints’ fifth recruit of the Trade Period after a deal was confirmed between the St Kilda and Richmond today.

The Saints received the speedster in exchange for pick No. 56 in this year’s draft.

List Manager James Gallagher said the 23-year-old added an extra dimension to the Saints’ list with his speed and aerobic capacity.

“We are really pleased to bring Dan on board and add to the talented group recruited over the past 10 days,” Gallagher said.

“He is a player with a specific skillset who we believe will bolster our forward line.”

“His ability to work up the ground and hit the forward 50 with speed is really strong, as his appetite for defensive pressure.”

Butler played 45 games for the Tigers and was part of the drought-breaking Premiership side of 2017.

Dan Butler

191023-playergraphic-butler.jpg

Elite forward pressure and a knack for handy goals make Dan Butler an incredibly damaging asset to St Kilda’s attack.

A Premiership Tiger in his debut season, the small forward will be hoping to bring the same success to the Saints during the next chapter of his career.

With a player of Butler’s ability at the feet of Tim Membrey, Paddy Ryder and Max King, the forward line just got a lot more dangerous.

The 24-year-old racked up 14 disposals, a game-high eight score involvements and four forward-50 tackles to go alongside his two-goal bag, with a stellar front-and-square in the second quarter at the top of this week’s highlights reel.

RD 3 v Collingwood

Butler was St Kilda's best in a tough 44 point loss to Collingwood. He finished with 16 disposals (12k, 4h), 2 marks, 4 tackles and kicked 2 goals 1 behind. He also led the side in score involvements and inside 50s.

He received 1 AFLCA vote, being the only Saints player to receive a vote.

Another week and another three-vote performance has seen Dan Butler take out the Round 4 Dare Iced Coffee Sainter of the Round.

It marks the second consecutive week the 24-year-old has earned the fan-voted award, with the ex-Tiger polling over 75 per cent of the total votes.

Butler slotted three goals against his former side, adding 14 disposals, seven score involvements and the Ian Stewart Medal to round out his stellar performance.

The dynamic Saint also snared a perfect 10 votes from the AFL Coaches’ Association for his Saturday night masterclass.

When the Tigers threatened to cut back St Kilda’s lead on multiple occasions throughout the match, the No. 16 was there to strike back and maintain the advantage.

Butler is set to celebrate his 50th match this Thursday night against Carlton.

1593427076758.png
1593427154531.png

Butler was very close to becoming a Blue at the end of last year. He was chased by the Blues and toured the Carlton facilities. He was even photographed during the tour, which he later admitted was a moment of mild embarrassment for him, and considered what they had to offer as well as the Saints.

Carlton had also been chasing Tom Papley as well as Eddie Betts and the three-way chase was in part the reason the Butler trade never eventuated. The focus on Papley at Carlton as the priority signing held things up in negotiations with Butler and, meanwhile, the Saints were chasing him hard and turned his head.
In the end, Butler saw himself fitting more logically into a role at St Kilda so in one of the deals done at the very death of trade week he was traded to the Saints for pick 56, a selection they had secured as part of the Zak Jones trade.

The form he has shown since arriving at Moorabbin has made that trade look a good deal for the Saints. He has kicked seven goals in his three games since the season resumed.
He is also ranked first in the league for tackles inside 50, which is significant for his role is as much about being a pressure forward as it is being goal-kicking forward.

Rd 6 - Fremantle

It was a tough day for Butler, finishing with only 6 disposals (5k, 1h), 1 mark and 1 tackle. He still managed to hit the scoreboard with 1 goal straight, bringing his tally to 10 for the year.

Rd 7 v Adelaide

Another 3 goals for Butler in a strong performance against Adelaide. He finished with 12 disposals (11k, 1h), 4 inside 50s, 5 tackles, 4 tackles and an equal team high 54 pressure acts. Despite a strong performance, he had a bit of a rough night with the umpires having 3 questionable deliberate free kicks paid against him.

He also received another coaches vote, bringing his season total to 15.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rd 8 v Port

Another strong game for Butler in the 29 point win against Port, finishing with 9 disposals, 4 marks, 6 tackles. He picked 2.1, being the only St Kilda player to kick a behind on the night with a dribble kick that brushed the inside of the goal post. This bring is goal tally to 15 for the season.

RD 9 v Sydney

Butler continued his great form with another 2 two performance against Sydney. He finished the game with 13 disposals (12k, 1h), 1 mark and 8 tackles - including 7 inside 50. He is currently placed 4th in the Coleman race and ranked number 1 in the comp for tackles inside 50.

Dare Sainter of the Round: Butler reigns supreme
The fans have spoken, and as voted by you, Dan Butler is the Round 10 Dare Iced Coffee Sainter of the Round.
By Chris Nice - 1 day ago
ButlerSOTR_a.jpg

The fans have spoken, and as voted by you, Dan Butler is the Round 10 Dare Iced Coffee Sainter of the Round.
The Premiership Tiger’s brilliant four goals – all at critical times – gifted St Kilda its seventh win of the season against the daring Suns, moving the Saints into second spot on the ladder as a result.
Butler twice broke Gold Coast’s impressive four-goal streaks with some magic of his own; a snap on his opposite foot, tucked up against the boundary signalling his most impressive major of the evening.

But it was his two final-quarter goals which ultimately handed the Saints the victory.
A slick crumb from the front of the stoppage put the red, white and black within three points, before an electric dash up the guts in the dying minutes – off the back of Hunter Clark’s silkiness in defence – saw him stream into an open goal to seal the narrow four-point win.
Butler closed out his evening at Metricon Stadium with four goals, six score involvements and 13 disposals to put in another best-on-ground performance at his new club.
St Kilda received Butler in exchange for pick No. 56 during this year’s trade period.

RD 10 v Gold Coast

It was a match winning performance from Butler this week finishing wth 4.1, including two vital last quarter goals. He also gathered 13 disposals (12k, 1h), 4 tackles, 6 score involvements and a goal assist in his best on ground perforance.

He received another perfect 10 in the coaches votes, bringing his season total to 25 votes.

Taken from the media thread, so thanks to BrutThough for posting it in the first place & StCicatriz for bringing it to our attention.👍

Tiger-turned-Saint Dan Butler reveals the decision that made him feel at home at St Kilda
Dan Butler says there was one thing holding him back from fully embracing life at St Kilda after arriving from Richmond. So he made a change.

Dan Butler privately saw his breakout season last year coming, from shortly after the calendar flipped over to January.
The speedy small forward was warming to St Kilda’s training program — different in several ways to Richmond’s — felt fitter and was standing out in game simulation, then practice matches.

There was just one thing Butler thought was holding him back from fully embracing his second AFL chance, so he packed up all his stuff and relocated bayside.

“I left my Richmond mates and close friends up in Northcote, and moved down to East Brighton,” Butler told the Herald Sun.

“I think that’s when I finally felt at home and settled in. That’s what felt like the fresh start for me — I could really get involved with the Saints.

“Early on, I was travelling from Northcote to Moorabbin every day, which was taking me 50 minutes to an hour.

“When you’ve got that time in the car in the morning; on the way home it’s probably easy to leave the club a bit earlier and try and beat the traffic.”

The premiership-winning Tiger fell out of favour at his old club — going from playing 23 games to 15, then only seven in 2019 — but the Saints saw something in him that could help them climb the ladder.

They were right. Butler responded with an All-Australian-calibre campaign as St Kilda shocked everyone but itself in making the top eight and winning a final.

He had reason to feel stiff not to make the competition’s best 22, as the Saints’ analytics guru Darren O’Shaughnessy so eloquently and emphatically rammed home.

Butler ranked No. 1 for tackles in general play, goals by players smaller than 193cm and for forward-50 pressure — by 30 per cent over the next-best.

He comfortably outperformed his ex-Richmond teammates, including Jason Castagna, Dan Rioli, Shai Bolton, Jack Higgins and Jake Aarts.

However, while the 24-year-old was at Punt Road, the pressure for spots became all encompassing.

“Going into 2020, I wanted to get back to my best and bring that level of consistency,” Butler said.

“That starts in the pre-season, putting together a good fitness base and training well — and that leads into games.

“For me, it was about getting the confidence back. I knew my best was good enough, but I probably wasn’t bringing it enough.”

Butler, who is out of contract at season’s end, is now tipping greater things ahead for Hunter Clark, Nick Coffield, Max King, Ben Paton and another former Tiger, Higgins.

The ultra-composed Clark is the one he’s most excited about and he’s confident Higgins, too, can thrive at his new club.

“It’s just so good to see him back playing footy after what he’s been through (with his health),” Butler said.

“He gets a fresh start at the club he grew up barracking. The first thing I noticed is he hasn’t changed one bit — he’s still pretty chatty around the club and brings a good laugh to the team.

“He’s a very smart footballer, so I’m looking forward to playing alongside him again.”

Seems to be played much higher on the ground with Lonie and Higgins closer to goal . His running and chasing is first class and earned a free kick with a great chase down of Ward from GWS in the dying seconds and kick the final goal .

Finally got some scoreboard response after a quiet start . Burst into life in the second half and was one of the reasons for our comeback from 33 points down over the Eagles . Kicked three goals with another shot just grazing the post .

Dan Butler has re-committed to the Saints, signing a one-year contract extension to remain at the club until at least the end of 2022.

The energetic forward hasn’t missed a beat since joining St Kilda, playing all 27 matches since making the move from Richmond at the end of 2019.

The No. 16 had a breakout season in 2020, earning a place in the All-Australian squad and finishing runner-up in last year's Trevor Barker Award.

Head of List Management James Gallagher said extending Butler’s tenure at St Kilda was a priority for the club.

“The influence that Dan has had since joining the club has been evident and it was always our intention to retain his services for 2022 and hopefully well beyond," he said.

“Dan’s speed to create and also defend, as well as his uncanny goal sense, ensures that he is a very important member of our forward line, while his selfless approach to the game makes him a very popular teammate."

MHJShcbI.jpg

03:12MINS
Published on Oct 21, 2020, 1:51pm
Dan Butler ignited the Saints 2020 season with his creative flare and lightning pace. Check out some of the small forwards big moments.
Butler said he was proud to sign on with the Saints.

“I’m really happy to have signed on for another year,” Butler said.

“We have a really great group of guys who are all committed to constantly growing and getting better.

I’m optimistic about where we’re headed, and I’m stoked to be part of it.
- Dan Butler
Butler was originally selected by Richmond with pick No. 67 in the 2014 National Draft and played 45 games for the Tigers before coming to the Saints.

‘It’s definitely handy having that chemistry’: Butler on working alongside Higgins
Dan Butler says he’s excited to continue working alongside fellow Tiger-turned-Saint Jack Higgins following the pair’s seven-goal partnership against Hawthorn.
By Matilda Knights - 15 hrs ago

Dan Butler says he’s excited to continue working alongside fellow Tiger-turned-Saint Jack Higgins following the pair’s seven-goal partnership against Hawthorn.
Higgins snared four second-half goals in his 50th senior game, with the duo’s combination up forward set to continue after Butler penned a one-year contract extension earlier this week.
TOGETHER WE RISE: BECOME A 2021 MEMBER TODAY!
“He’s a great player, really crafty around goal and really good one on one,” Butler told media this morning.
“I’m really happy and excited to be playing the rest of the year alongside him.
“We played a fair few games together at the Tiges and obviously we kind of know what each other’s going to do.
“We’ve trained together for a few years now, so it’s definitely handy having that chemistry together.”

Jack Higgins is the Saints' leading goal kicker after seven rounds. Photo: AFL Photos.
Following a four-quarter effort against Hawthorn reminiscent of last year’s form, Butler says that the Saints’ focus now turns to bringing that week on week.
“That’s the way we wanted to play,” Butler said.
“We looked at the vision yesterday and that’s the St Kilda brand we want to bring every week.
“That’s probably the focus at the moment – bringing that consistently.
Some of the footy we produced last year is good enough to beat the best. Hopefully we can get that more consistently this year.
- Dan Butler
Attention now turns to Saturday’s clash against Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium.
“They’re a good team and especially up there they’re going to be hard to beat. We’re expecting a tight contest,” Butler said.
“All the boys are pretty excited to get back up to Queensland - our second home - and we’re really looking forward to it.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back