Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
87d132d9303afcd6afe7aea26f5a1224_L.jpg

Miguel Cotto (39-4) and Daniel Geale (31-3) will face off at the Barclays Center in New York City in a match televised by HBO.

This is a huge fight for Daniel Geale and provides him with the opportunity of adding the WBC title to his CV that already includes winning the IBF and WBA titles, both in Germany.

The title will be contested at the catch weight of 157 pounds. 3 pounds below the official middleweight limit.

The first thing that comes to my mind...Has Geale bitten off more than he can eat ?

Going to be a good fight either way :)

The first thing that comes to my mind...Has Geale bitten off more than he can eat ?

Going to be a good fight either way :)

Too good an opportunity for Geale to pass up. That Cotto insisted on a catchweight below the middleweight limit shows he has respect for Geale.

Can't help wondering if we are potentially looking at another Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs Andrzej Fonfara here.

Just like Chavez Jr, Miguel Cotto hasn't been exactly busy lately. When he faces off with Daniel Geale it will have been a year since he set foot in the ring, and since he lost to Austin Trout in late 2012, he has had just 2 fights. Ring rust is always a possibility with inactivity.

Chavez who lost just recently to Fonfara, lost by a wide decision to Sergio Martinez in 2012, and then had only 2 fights prior to fighting Fonfara.

A further commonality is both Cotto and Chavez are competing now in higher weight divisions than previous.

Cotto's opponent, Geale, has, like Fonfara, been particularly active over the past few years and faced some of the big names in his division.

When Geale meets Cotto it will be his 7th fight since he beat Osumanu Adama in March 2012, and included amongst those opponents are Golovkin, Sturm and Mundine,

We saw what happened to Chavez Jr recently. Could Cotto be headed down the same path against Geale?

Plenty of choices for pub venues showing Pacquiao vs Mayweather on Sunday.

But not so Geale vs Cotto - looking at the map not one venue in Melbourne is actually showing it!

Can't help wondering if we are potentially looking at another Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs Andrzej Fonfara here.

Just like Chavez Jr, Miguel Cotto hasn't been exactly busy lately. When he faces off with Daniel Geale it will have been a year since he set foot in the ring, and since he lost to Austin Trout in late 2012, he has had just 2 fights. Ring rust is always a possibility with inactivity.

Chavez who lost just recently to Fonfara, lost by a wide decision to Sergio Martinez in 2012, and then had only 2 fights prior to fighting Fonfara.

A further commonality is both Cotto and Chavez are competing now in higher weight divisions than previous.

Cotto's opponent, Geale, has, like Fonfara, been particularly active over the past few years and faced some of the big names in his division.

When Geale meets Cotto it will be his 7th fight since he beat Osumanu Adama in March 2012, and included amongst those opponents are Golovkin, Sturm and Mundine,

We saw what happened to Chavez Jr recently. Could Cotto be headed down the same path against Geale?
Not sold on Chavez Jnr suffering from ring rust. He was beaten soundly by a bigger guy who waltzed through his punches and wore him down.
Great opportunity for Daniel. Up against one of the best in the game.

Not sold on Chavez Jnr suffering from ring rust. He was beaten soundly by a bigger guy who waltzed through his punches and wore him down.
Great opportunity for Daniel. Up against one of the best in the game.

The comparison was of relatively inactive guys going up a division and one having already lost. But fair call, ring rust may have been overstating things a bit in the case of Chavez Jnr.

It is a great opportunity for Daniel and he will go in a bigger man than Cotto on the night even allowing for the fact he has to make 157 the day before. If it was at the full 160 I'd be more confident.

The comparison was of relatively inactive guys going up a division and one having already lost. But fair call, ring rust may have been overstating things a bit in the case of Chavez Jnr.

It is a great opportunity for Daniel and he will go in a bigger man than Cotto on the night even allowing for the fact he has to make 157 the day before. If it was at the full 160 I'd be more confident.
Hey Dan. Do you think Cotto is sizing himself up against GGG by taking on Geale?
I'm not taking anything away from our boy but I believe if Cotto doesnt dominate Geale then he wont try his luck at GGG

Hey Dan. Do you think Cotto is sizing himself up against GGG by taking on Geale?
I'm not taking anything away from our boy but I believe if Cotto doesnt dominate Geale then he wont try his luck at GGG

IMO GGG has never been on Cotto's radar, and regardless of the outcome of this fight Cotto won't fight GGG.

Take a look at the size difference between the two. GGG would be too strong by a long way.

eRomCyh.jpg

IMO GGG has never been on Cotto's radar, and regardless of the outcome of this fight Cotto won't fight GGG.

Take a look at the size difference between the two. GGG would be too strong by a long way.

eRomCyh.jpg
I dont know man. Geale looks a lot bigger than Cotto just as Margarito did. A warrior he is and if he's gonna fight at 160 he will have to ponder going at it with the Kazakh beast

I dont know man. Geale looks a lot bigger than Cotto just as Margarito did. A warrior he is and if he's gonna fight at 160 he will have to ponder going at it with the Kazakh beast

I've read interviews with Cotto, including recent ones, and he does not give the impression he will fight GGG. Can't say I blame him GGG is so much bigger and IMO would blow him away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Update from Daniel Geale >

"Training camp has started off on the right track. I'm super focused on Miguel Cotto and we have a nice game plan we are working on. My countrymen have shown a tremendous amount of support since I came back from the press conference. I'm getting some good work with some mates here at home and my body feels good. I'll be leaving to start training in the USA shortly and it's something I'm looking forward to. Cotto is a great champion, but I'm coming to win and bring that belt home to Australia."

At the compulsory WBC 30 day weigh in, the reigning champion Miguel Cotto was 164.8 pounds, and Danie Geale was 158 pounds

Good sign for Geale as he is used to fighting at the 160 pound middleweight limit. But must make the 157 pound catch-weight limit set here.

eRomCyh.jpg

Cotto doesn't have a choice he is the WBC World Middleweight champ
Golovkin is the interim WBC World Middleweight champ.
If Cotto beats Geale he is aloud to fight Canelo Alvarez but the winner of that has to fight Golovkin.

Cotto doesn't have a choice he is the WBC World Middleweight champ
Golovkin is the interim WBC World Middleweight champ.
If Cotto beats Geale he is aloud to fight Canelo Alvarez but the winner of that has to fight Golovkin.

In theory you are quite correct. But history shows Cotto has neatly avoided GGG, and I believe that trend will continue.

In theory you are quite correct. But history shows Cotto has neatly avoided GGG, and I believe that trend will continue.

I read not long ago that the WBC wont sanction any fights for him (except Alvarez) to defend his title if he doesn't.
I read that it's going to be in the contract of Cotto vs Alvarez that the winner has to fight Golovkin or will be stripped of the belt.
I agree though he will some how still continue to avoid him.

I read not long ago that the WBC wont sanction any fights for him (except Alvarez) to defend his title if he doesn't.
I read that it's going to be in the contract of Cotto vs Alvarez that the winner has to fight Golovkin or will be stripped of the belt.
I agree though he will some how still continue to avoid him.

As above, in theory you are right. But boxing just doesn't often go to script unfortunately, no matter who writes it, and that includes the WBC.

Just as a recent example, the WBA a few months back announced Lucas Browne as Ruslan Chagaev's mandatory, and gave them 30 days to get the fight negotiated or it would go to purse bid. Meanwhile Fes Oquendo, who lost to Chagaev not long back claimed there was a rematch clause in their contract and takes Chagaev to court.

So you have the WBA claiming Browne is the mandatory. Oquendo claiming in court he had a rematch clause and actually winning that argument in court, yet Chagaev is about to defend his title against somebody other than Browne & Oquendo.

As above, in theory you are right. But boxing just doesn't often go to script unfortunately, no matter who writes it, and that includes the WBC.

Just as a recent example, the WBA a few months back announced Lucas Browne as Ruslan Chagaev's mandatory, and gave them 30 days to get the fight negotiated or it would go to purse bid. Meanwhile Fes Oquendo, who lost to Chagaev not long back claimed there was a rematch clause in their contract and takes Chagaev to court.

So you have the WBA claiming Browne is the mandatory. Oquendo claiming in court he had a rematch clause and actually winning that argument in court, yet Chagaev is about to defend his title against somebody other than Browne & Oquendo.

Yeah I know, honestly I see Cotto beating Geale and then losing to Alvarez if he makes that fight like he said he will.
Cotto and Freddie Roach really seem to be picking fights they think are the easiest.
The day after Golovkin beat Geale Roach said he isn't at Cottos level and he hasn't beaten anyone yet. Now he is fighting Geale.

Yeah I know, honestly I see Cotto beating Geale and then losing to Alvarez if he makes that fight like he said he will.
Cotto and Freddie Roach really seem to be picking fights they think are the easiest.
The day after Golovkin beat Geale Roach said he isn't at Cottos level and he hasn't beaten anyone yet. Now he is fighting Geale.

Looking at an international boxing forum where a Geale vs Cotto poll has been posted, it is running in favour of Geale winning.

Daniel Geale's trainer Graham Shaw has said they arrived in New York on May 10 and training is going perfectly with good sparring with Dennis Hogan and 2 world class American middleweights.

Shaw feels Geale’s height advantage of four inches will help him to keep Cotto at long range and outbox him similarly to how former WBA champion Austin Trout did. Shaw mentions Cotto does not have same power as GGG but has great boxing skills.

Some thoughts from Miguel Cotto a week out from his title defence against Daniel Geale >

“I feel good and in the best shape possible. I just feel ready. I know Geale is a tough opponent and he is going to bring his best on June 6, but I trust in the work we have done here in Los Angeles and I’m going to bring my best too.”

“After 14 years in boxing, the best decision I could have made was to take the last year off. My mind was not in boxing, but since I got here with Freddie, everything is working perfectly again. Boxing is all I know. Boxing is my life. Through boxing, I raised my family and I work to provide the best future for them. They are the reason I love boxing.”

“Boxing at this point in my career is a battle with myself. Everyday I need to bring my best in the gym from morning to evening. Next week has to be better than last week. I need to ask myself to be better every day. I know that if I bring my best to the gym every day, I can bring my best the night of June 6 against Geale.”

“It will have been 364 days to the day on June 6 since I have been in the ring. It’s not difficult to get back in after this long stretch. I’ve been focused on my work. I have gained more knowledge during my time off in order to get myself ready to fight again.”

“Daniel Geale is the next chapter in my career. After I get through him, I can talk about what comes next.”

http://thelivingdaylights.co/2015/05/28/miguel-cotto-media-workout-photographs-and-quotes/?

Daniel Geale says Miguel Cotto is looking past him >

"I definitely think Miguel Cotto and his camp are looking past me. They have chosen me as probably not one of the super-strong middleweights at the moment, and especially bringing me down a few pounds (160 to 157), they think they're going to weaken me more. So they're definitely looking past me, which is exciting for me."

Geale obviously intimating Cotto's focus might already be on Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez or Gennady Golovkin. Though I personally doubt Cotto will ever fight Golovkin.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back