Boxing Daniel Geale vs Miguel Cotto for WBC title - June 6th

Remove this Banner Ad

Such a disappointing result both as a fan of Geale and as a fan of boxing.

That was vintage Cotto. He looks revitalized. The guy is a future Hall of Famer and far from over the hill just yet.

Cotto was sharp, accurate and powerful, and once he realised Geale couldn't hurt him he just set out to dismantle Geale, piece by piece.

Cotto hurt Geale to the body early and after that it became a matter of when that powerful left hook of his would end things.

Geale probably didn't look as sharp as we are used to after the struggle to make weight. But full credit to Cotto those body shots would have slowed Geale anyway and that left hook of his be the difference between the pair.

Cotto beat an empty package in Daniel Geale

http://www.thesweetscience.com/news...wdown-qcotto-beat-an-empty-package-in-gealeq?

Cotto looked terrific during the first three rounds of the fight boxing the taller Geale from the outside and then picking his spots and going on the offensive with his vaunted left hooks to the head and body. In the fourth round Miguel dropped Geale twice and you could see Daniel was visibly hurt and shook badly.

Well here comes the cold water and reality check…

As most boxing fans know, Gennady Golovkin stopped Daniel Geale in the third round of their title bout 11 months ago. Only they fought at 160. For the Cotto bout, Geale weighed in at 157 and then on the day of the fight he scaled 182 with street clothes on......Well, the big deal is Geale looked like a skeleton at the weigh in and everybody saw it. On fight night he was that same skeleton with 20 pounds of fluid. Daniel looked shopworn standing in the ring warming up. He certainly wasn't the same fighter who fought Golovkin in July of last year.

For the fight with Cotto, Daniel Geale was a sacrificial lamb, and he knowingly accepted that role because of the middleweight title being on the line and the money on the table. However, he was an empty package in the ring and everybody saw it. He looked totally out of sort from the onset.

By the fourth round Cotto was bringing the fight to an opponent who might as well been handcuffed, that's how much he feared the weakened Geale.

Further to Daniel Geale's future plans >

http://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sp...d-to-bounce-back/story-e6frf56c-1227391983902

extract from above article >

Daniel Geale, 34, a former middleweight world champion and probably Australia’s best fighter not long ago, returned home after being smashed in four rounds by Puerto Rican Miguel Cotto in New York on Sunday in a WBC title bout, and declared he had no intention of retiring.

The Sydney-based Tasmanian has now lost three of his past five fights, all the defeats occurring in America.

“I’m disappointed in how things went but its not the end of the world and I’ll definitely be back. There are still fights in Australia,” he said.

Industry sources estimate the defeat would still have been worth several hundred thousand dollars so although he would be unlikely to earn at that rate at home his reluctance to exit stage left is entirely understandable.

Further to Daniel Geale's future plans >

http://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sp...d-to-bounce-back/story-e6frf56c-1227391983902

extract from above article >

Daniel Geale, 34, a former middleweight world champion and probably Australia’s best fighter not long ago, returned home after being smashed in four rounds by Puerto Rican Miguel Cotto in New York on Sunday in a WBC title bout, and declared he had no intention of retiring.

The Sydney-based Tasmanian has now lost three of his past five fights, all the defeats occurring in America.

“I’m disappointed in how things went but its not the end of the world and I’ll definitely be back. There are still fights in Australia,” he said.

Industry sources estimate the defeat would still have been worth several hundred thousand dollars so although he would be unlikely to earn at that rate at home his reluctance to exit stage left is entirely understandable.

Daniel can be proud of his achievements in boxing and retire now. Not much more he can prove.

Cotto vs Canelo next Dan?

Cotto vs Canelo all systems go.
Boxing is sitting on a gold mine with potential fights between all three of GGG, Cotto & Canelo mate. Then of course there is Andre Ward for Golovkin in the future. I hope we're not made to wait too long.

Were you surprised how quickly Cotto disposed of our boy and does it change your view about Miguel having a crack at Golovkin?

Boxing is sitting on a gold mine with potential fights between all three of GGG, Cotto & Canelo mate. Then of course there is Andre Ward for Golovkin in the future. I hope we're not made to wait too long.

Were you surprised how quickly Cotto disposed of our boy and does it change your view about Miguel having a crack at Golovkin?

To expect Geale to come in at 157 for a 160 pound belt was just plain disgraceful, and because of it, Geale's preparation was horrid - as discussed previously.

From the impressive way Cotto went about it I think he would have stopped Geale anyway, but that the fight might have gone perhaps 10 rounds with a well prepared, 160 pound Geale in the other corner.

I doubt Cotto has ever had any intention of fighting GGG and don't see him changing his mind just because he stopped a severely weight drained Geale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To expect Geale to come in at 157 for a 160 pound belt was just plain disgraceful, and because of it, Geale's preparation was horrid - as discussed previously.

From the impressive way Cotto went about it I think he would have stopped Geale anyway, but that the fight might have gone perhaps 10 rounds with a well prepared, 160 pound Geale in the other corner.

I doubt Cotto has ever had any intention of fighting GGG and don't see him changing his mind just because he stopped a severely weight drained Geale.
I'd like to believe if he is gonna continue at 160 then he will fight Golovkin. If not then stay at 154. He is a warrior so you never know.

Sunday's fight should never have been for a title.

I'd like to believe if he is gonna continue at 160 then he will fight Golovkin. If not then stay at 154. He is a warrior so you never know.

Sunday's fight should never have been for a title.

The days of non-title fights are all but gone. In the past Cotto could have fought someone like Geale without the title on the line at a catchweight. But these days every fight a reigning champion engages in has is a title defence - whether it be a mandatory or otherwise.

The days of non-title fights are all but gone. In the past Cotto could have fought someone like Geale without the title on the line at a catchweight. But these days every fight a reigning champion engages in has is a title defence - whether it be a mandatory or otherwise.
Of course. There's 100 different belts in each weight class.

Just watched a video of Lampley, Hopkins and Kellerman discussing the middleweight division. Hopkins seemed very excited about a possible tournament of bouts with the 3 main guys and Lampley threw in Lemieux's name as well.

Last edited:
Dan. I think we can forget about Cotto or Canelo for GGG's next fight after Lemieux's performance yesterday. Lemieux vs N'dam was a great fight and now there's a bit of noise pitting the Canadian against Golovkin.

Dan. I think we can forget about Cotto or Canelo for GGG's next fight after Lemieux's performance yesterday. Lemieux vs N'dam was a great fight and now there's a bit of noise pitting the Canadian against Golovkin.

Lemieux has thrown the cat amongst the pigeons, but I don't see why Cotto should be allowed to keep avoiding GGG if he continues to be champion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back