Retired Daniel Hannebery

Remove this Banner Ad

181004-Trade-Hero-Hannebery-holmesglen%20(1).jpg

St Kilda Football Club has secured the services of decorated midfielder Dan Hannebery after completing a trade with the Sydney Swans today.

The Saints received Hannebery and pick No. 28 in the 2018 AFL Draft in exchange for sending pick No. 39 (acquired from West Coast Eagles) and St Kilda’s future second-round selection to the Sydney Swans.

Hannebery’s five-year commitment to the Saints comes after 208 games for the Swans, including the 2012 premiership.

General Manager of Football Simon Lethlean said Hannebery was a great addition to St Kilda.

“Dan’s a highly-accomplished midfielder who will be a significant addition to our group,” Lethlean said.

“He will help the likes of Jack Steven, Seb Ross and Jack Steele enormously, but we’re also excited about what he can teach Jade Gresham and Hunter Clark.

“He is a respected leader and someone with a lot of finals experience, which will be invaluable for our young group on and off the field.

“I know he is eager to get started, and we’re equally eager to see the impact he can have in 2019 and beyond.”

The three-time All Australian said he was looking forward to starting a new chapter of his career with St Kilda.

“I loved my time at the Swans and will be forever grateful for the opportunities and experiences I had there,” Hannebery said.

“I moved to Sydney when I was 17 and now, 10 years later, it’s the perfect time for me to come back to my family in Melbourne and bring everything I’ve learned to what is a really exciting and promising playing group at the Saints.”

Hannebery was selected by the Swans with pick 30 in the 2008 AFL Draft and was crowned the NAB AFL Rising Star in 2010, before being named as an All Australian in 2013, 2015 and 2016.
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-10-12/hannebery-joins-st-kilda

In 10 years at the top level, Dan Hannebery’s drive and determination have always stood out.

And as external commentators continue to make assumptions about his body, it’s this relentless motivation that has the new Saint determined to prove himself in the red, white and black.

READ: Hannebery handed No. 10

After a blistering start to his career at the Swans, Hannebery’s last two years saw a frustrating spell marred by soft tissue injuries, but the 27-year-old believes his best still lies ahead.

"I'm probably the harshest critic of myself with my standards,” Hannebery said at RSEA Park on Thursday.

"No doubt I had a really good run up until the end of 2016, from a games perspective, and my form was pretty sound for a number of years.

"To have two down years was disappointing, and I've got a point to prove to myself I guess, but certainly to the St Kilda boys, you've got to earn their respect first and foremost, and the coaches ... and the supporters, and that's the most important thing.

"I really want to try to get back to some really solid form, particularly early in the season, and go from there."

AFL 2018 Training - St Kilda 151118
Hannebery: 'You've got to earn their respect first and foremost.'

Since arriving at RSEA Park two weeks ahead of schedule, the three-time All Australian and premiership midfielder’s professionalism has shone through, and it’s an influence not lost on his new teammates either.

Hannebery has already made a marked impression on many younger Saints, and his experience, leadership and high standard-setting are all traits he hopes he can instil in the group.

“I think all the one-four year guys – the guys that have been training this week – have been really good; super vocal,” he said.

“Jack Steele, Jack Lonie, a few of those boys…Paddy McCartin’s been voicing up, so it’s been a really good vibe and energy.

“So it’s a good start, and I’m looking forward to meeting a few more boys on Monday.”

READ: The No. 10

As an observer last season, Hannebery saw enough promise in the Saints’ list to excite him at the prospect of making the move south, but said a key pre-season priority for the group is work ethic.

“Like the rest of the boys at the club, I’ve got to work really hard in this pre-season,” said Hannebery.

“I’ve got a point to prove, but so does the whole footy club.

“There’s a really good energy so far from the young guys, and a few of the older boys who’ve been to the gym, and they’re really excited.

“I think everyone’s really excited to build on a disappointing year last year for St Kilda and really come out firing next year.”

Go Saints

Newly-acquired Saint Dan Hannebery has been honoured with the No. 10 locker at Moorabbin, the ex-Swans star confirmed at a press conference on Thursday morning.

Hannebery becomes the latest name in a long list of decorated Saints to wear the famous number, regarded by many as the most prestigious at the football club.

A total of seven Saints have won the club best-and-fairest wearing the No. 10, including champion forward Bill Mohr, Brownlow medallist Neil Roberts, star ruckman Carl Ditterich and more recently hard nut Steven Baker.

But the weight of expectation is unlikely to overawe Hannebery, who was presented with the great Tony Lockett's old No. 4 guernsey at the Swans as a 17-year-old.

"It’s obviously a pretty famous number here at the Saints," he said at RSEA Park on Thursday.

"There's a lot of history around it, and I’m pretty proud and privileged to have the opportunity to wear it, I’m looking forward to it."

Go Saints

Dan has been getting good mentions from other Saints players saying how hard he trains and how much help and experience he has been giving. I suspect he will probably be in the leadership group this year with an outside chance of being vice captain.

Go Saints

PRIZED St Kilda recruit Dan Hannebery was forced to undergo hamstring scans after complaining of tightness this week.

AFL.com.au understands that while the examination showed no damage, the 27-year-old has been eased off training with hamstring awareness.

It comes after a heavy block of running prior to Christmas, with the former Swan joining in training early with the club's first-to-fourth-year players in the first week of November.

This pre-season looms as a massive test for the triple All Australian who arrived at Moorabbin on a lucrative five-year contract after several injury complaints in recent years.

After sustaining a knee injury in the 2016 Grand Final, Hannebery carried a groin complaint through 2017 before suffering a calf setback ahead of 2018 when he increased his running loads.

Separate groin and calf injuries in-season then hampered his 2018, when he averaged just 18.7 disposals in 15 matches to look a shadow of his 2016 year where he went at 30.9 touches a game.

Unveiled in the No.10 at the Saints last month, a leaner Hannebery admitted he "had a point to prove" to his critics.

Coach Alan Richardson was glowing in his praise of his new midfielder when speaking at the club's annual general meeting on Tuesday night.

"(He) couldn't have been more impressive so far," Richardson said.

"He's a real leader, he's quite an inspirational person.

"He's had a couple of years, particularly last year (2018) where he's been a little bit banged up but we're really confident we're going to get the best of Dan.

"We know the best of Dan was elite in the competition."

Go Saints

ANOTHER hamstring setback for St Kilda recruit Dan Hannebery will see him on a reduced workload for the next fortnight.

However, the Saints are adamant there was no strain, with his latest injury to the same muscle he hurt before Christmas.

Hannebery was injured during match simulation on Friday, February 1, but has been running and boxing since then.

His program has been managed this preparation after groin and calf issues hampered the triple All Australian in his final couple of seasons at the Swans.

A gradual build-up was always the plan, as he said in November.

"The physio staff and the fitness staff here have been first-rate with the program they're setting and the work they do to get you right," Hannebery said.

"That was a really attractive thing to come down here, with some of the injury battles that I'd experienced in recent years.

"Probably being a bit smarter with my training in the off-season, and then in the pre-season to start with, and just management and knowing who to go to as well.

"You do need a little bit of luck but I'm really confident that with work ethic and some management, I'll be fine."

Hannebery turns 28 later this month and is contracted until the end of 2023.

The Saints return from their AFL Players' Association mandated four-day break on Tuesday.

Don’t Panic !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The anti St Kilda press are already slamming the Saints for selecting Dan because he has a minor hamstring complaint. Why are some members of the press so quick to criticise the Saints any chance they can get ?

Don’t Panic !!

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.

Saints coach Alan Richardson told Melbourne radio station SEN on Friday morning the 28-year-old's calves and hamstrings had been giving him grief when he hit top speed, forcing the club's fitness staff to "rebuild" the former Swan to some extent.

"We knew that he had stints where he hadn't played, we knew about his training history, or lack thereof, that he'd really struggle to be able to get the (training) time in," Richardson said.

"Did we think it was going to be as significant as this? No, we didn't.

"We did know we were getting a bloke that we needed, to some extent, rebuild, but probably not to this extent.

"But that's OK. He's here for a long time. He's not here for a short time. If it means he's not here for a month longer than we thought, that's fine."

The triple All Australian will likely return through the VFL when he is declared fit, but Richardson forecast that could be some time away.

"To some extent, he needs to be rebuilt … I wouldn't be surprised if it's longer than round four," Richardson said.

"It'll take a while I reckon. I'm hoping it'll be sooner.

"It'll depend a little bit on how he responds but right now, the response has been slow and the response has been consistent. When we get him up to 30-32km/h, he's starting to get wonky. That's going to take a little bit of time."

Richardson explained why Hannebery was experiencing these problems.

"He's been getting sore, basically anywhere to do with his legs but particularly his calves and his hamstrings. As we've upped the load in terms of the intensity, his body has just struggled," Richardson said.

"He's had two years where he just hasn't been able to put in the work. He's gone out and played without great prep because he's been able to do that for a fair while.

"He's a little warrior, he's obviously been a champion player. I reckon it's caught up with him."

Hannebery averaged 19 disposals last season, his lowest tally since his debut campaign in 2008.

Richardson believes St Kilda is on the right path to fixing Hannebery's body.

"Our guys are really confident now, that they've spent enough time with Dan and learnt from how he's responded or how he hasn't responded to whatever we've thrown at him," Richardson said.

"They know we're going to have to go right back and get this done and that's started, so we're already a couple of weeks into that."

Meanwhile, star midfielder Jack Steven looks set to face Gold Coast on Sunday afternoon at Marvel Stadium.

Steven took a 10-day break late last month to deal with a mental health issue, but has since returned to training.

His has received approval to play from that perspective, needing only to prove his fitness after being named on an extended bench for his side's season opener.

"I'm really confident Jack will play," Richardson said.

"If you'd have asked me two weeks ago, I would've been very surprised (if he'd play). He's done a remarkable job, and so have the people working with him."

PRIZED St Kilda recruit Dan Hannebery is out of the club's leadership group.

Hannebery, 28, was traded from Sydney at the end of last season but has been dealing with soreness in his hamstrings and calves that have plagued him when hitting top speed at training.

The Saints are attempting to 'rebuild' his body so the triple All Australian can endure the rigours of elite football.

His past two years have been plagued by injury and he's struggled to replicate the form that saw him as one of the most admired players in the competition.

He told reporters it was a mutual decision, but will offer his assistance when needed.

"I'm still going to help the guys out wherever I can, when I'm not doing my rehab," Hannebery said.

The 2015 AFL Coaches' Association player of the year ran on Tuesday and plans on stepping up his training on Thursday, and indicated when he would like to be back.

"I'm not going to put an exact date on it but I'm hoping to play some level of football in the next four-to-six weeks," Hannebery said.

"Depending on how everything's going, hopefully sometime in the not-too-distant future, but everything would have to go right.

"I'm confident from here on in that we'll have no hiccups, but I've said that before."

His eventual return will likely be through the VFL.

Coach Alan Richardson said the move would allow Hannebery to concentrate on his rehab.

"Dan needs to focus solely on getting himself into a position where he can deliver on his potential to help our team be better," Richardson said in a statement.

"The club wants Dan 100 per cent focused on getting back to his best and let his performances do the talking."

Experienced key defender Nathan Brown has been sitting in on leadership group meetings in Hannebery's place.

That's not the only change that's happened since the five-man group was announced in February, with Jack Billings replacing Dylan Roberton after the defender was ruled out for the year with a heart issue.

Jarryn Geary (captain), Seb Ross (vice-captain) and Tim Membrey are the other members.

Despite conceding it's been an "incredibly frustrating" period, Hannebery is maintaining perspective, pointing to the health battles facing Roberton, Paddy McCartin (concussion) and draftee Jack Bytel (back).

"It's been a really challenging few months but I guess everyone goes through it," Hannebery said.

"There's a lot of players out there, especially at our club, that are going through worse times than what I'm going through."

Hannebery said he doesn't know whether he will return to the leadership group once he's back playing footy.

oh no , my man has slipped to bottom of the current player profiles . Hopefully this will lift him of last place . lol
Seem to be some murmurings that he's on the right track at the moment. Interested to read his injury profile on the AFL website, which lists it as "hamstrings and calves". Seems his legs are just really bad!

Still got a good feeling about him, and glad the club are being patient.

There's exciting news for three injured Saints, with Dan Hannebery, Jarryn Geary and Jake Carlisle now all out on the track.

Hannebery will join parts of main training this week, while Geary and Carlisle have started running again.

Saints Physiotherapist Andrew Wallis shared the latest on Hannebery's progress.

"The plan is (for Dan) to play in 3-4 weeks," said Wallis.

"Dan’s been running really consistently, which is what we’ve been aiming for, so it’ll be great to hopefully see him playing soon."

The little things go a long way. Dan Hannebery to the rescue
2764.png

D6QT4gzU0AA28TZ.jpg

8:08 PM - 10 May 2019

Very keen to see how Hannebery gets used once he comes in. Are we expecting him to play more on the inside or come from a wing?

Interesting question , actually i have no idea as i never paid much attention to him at sydney .

Don’t Panic !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back