Daniel Harford - Re-signed for 2 more years

Remove this Banner Ad

THE CARLTON Football Club is pleased to announce the re-signing of AFLW Senior Coach Daniel Harford for a further two years.

A much-loved figure at the Club, his ability to build strong connections and nurture relationships with players and staff on and off the field is a cornerstone of his coaching.

611c45aa13006.jpg

Dear Aph,

I hope you are doing well and are having a great start to the year.

It has been fantastic to be able to meet so many of you back at the footy again in 2022 and I look forward to continuing doing so at as many games as we can throughout the AFL season, including this Sunday against Port Adelaide at the 'G.

My reason for writing to you today though is to share some great news in relation to our AFLW team.

It is with great pleasure that I can let you know that we have re-signed our AFLW Senior Coach Daniel Harford for a further two years.

Daniel is a much-loved figure at the Club, and his ability to build strong connections and nurture relationships with players and staff on and off the field is a cornerstone of his coaching.

His strong leadership displayed across his four seasons at the helm has been crucial to the program being able to adapt to any challenge thrown his way.

Since taking charge at the end of 2018, he has taken our club to two finals campaigns, including a maiden Grand Final appearance in 2019, the same year he was named AFLCA AFLW Coach of the Year, and is now playing a key hand in ushering in a new wave of Navy Blue talent which sees us with the youngest list in the AFLW.

It is imperative that the women’s program has continued stability and this will be achieved with a Senior Coach who drives a close connection within the group. Daniel believes in the values of the Club and he drives those values throughout our AFLW program, we know he is the right person to lead this team in our pursuit of success.

We started to show some strong results in the back end of last season, winning three of our last four games, and we’ll be looking to build on that heading into a new season.

Our playing list has certainly changed during his four years here and his ability to adapt along with that as a coach has been first class. Our list is the youngest in the competition and Daniel has shown that development is a big focus and will continue to be over the next few years.

While we’re aware of the realities that come with AFLW expansion, importantly our focus remains on continuing to grow our program and strive for excellence both on and off the field. A connected program is a strong program and by signing Daniel until 2024 we can ensure a positive team environment that aligns with what the Club believes in.

By the time pre-season begins, we will have a coaching panel and playing group 100 per cent committed and invested in the Carlton Football Club – you could not ask for any better platform to build our new season off than that.

As well as locking in Daniel for a further two years, we have enjoyed a good start to the AFL season, however, we still have areas to improve on and will remain focused on continuous improvement as the season progresses.

As we’ve seen early in the season, the competition comes with certain challenges, however the way our playing group has responded so far is testament to the new program put in place by Michael Voss and the willingness to show resilience and adapt to changing scenarios around them.

The lead in to Round 2 was a perfect example of this. Faced with significant COVID challenges, the philosophy was simple – get on with it – and to their absolute credit, that was exactly what our players and staff did.

A key focus for the Club this year is building a strong connection and earning respect. We will continue to grow as the season unfolds and I am looking forward to seeing that progression throughout the year.

We will be challenged throughout the year, just as we were against Gold Coast, but it’s how we learn from it and continuously adapt and improve our game that counts.

For now, we remain focused on returning to the MCG on Sunday and performing well against Port Adelaide and it would be great to see you there.

Go Blues,

Luke Sayers
President

Member ID: 2908822​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can I say from where I sit he has an underwhelming presence as a coach?
But what does a "whelming" presence look like?

My take on this is that the administration who oversaw a review of the men's program last year have seen fit to re-appoint Harf. You'd think the review would have provided some lessons that translate from the men's program to the women's. So given that they cleaned out the whole men's coaching staff as a result of that review but have chosen to retain Harf, I'm running with "he must be doing something (a lot of things?) right" - at least in their eyes, and they're a lot closer to things than we are.

Unusual timing, with a disappointed supporter base. Not sure if Patty Kinnersley needs to push for more dollars, but if we lose most of our best players in a 2 year period, then something needs fixing.

Unusual timing, with a disappointed supporter base. Not sure if Patty Kinnersley needs to push for more dollars, but if we lose most of our best players in a 2 year period, then something needs fixing.
Can we tone down the hyperbole a little bit?

Top 10 of the B&F for the last 3 seasons were (sorry, can't for the life of me find an actual top 10 list for this year :( ):

Maddy PrespakisDarcy VescioMaddy Prespakis
Chloe DaltonNicola StevensKerryn Harrington
Georgia GeeKerryn HarringtonMimi Hill
Grace EganMaddy PrespakisBreann Moody
Lucy McEvoyGeorgia GeePaige Trudgeon
Darcy VescioGrace EganGab Pound
Vaomua LaloifiGab Pound
Kerryn HarringtonBreann Moody
Tayla HarrisJess Hosking
Nicola StevensElise O'dea

Of those players, obviously Maddie is one of our best. But who are these "most" that you're referring to?

Of those who've actually gone:

Chloe Dalton - went home to Sydney in the hope of going to the olympics and then decided to stay, hardly the club's fault.
Georgia Gee - has progressively declined in top 10 B&F performances. Yes, is a very skillful player, but inconsistent at best.
Tayla Harris - not a great return in 2020 and a disaster zone in 2021, then put the club in an untenable position.
Sarah Hosking? Reasonable player, very hard at it. But hardly one of our "best".
Jess Hosking? See Sarah, only not as good.
Katie Loynes? The club moved her on, and she's retired one season later. But again, not one of our best.
Alison Downie? A good player, but same situation as Katie Loynes (except not retired yet I don't think).

We might be expecting Greg to go, given the Insta performance, but again she hardly had a stellar year.

We would not accept this level of under performance from a coach of the men’s team, so find it strange we are prepared to for the girls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back