Height: 183cm
Weight: 77kg
Drafted from: Oakleigh Chargers
Position: Midfielder

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-15/draft-prospect-daniel-mckenzie

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2014-08-22/2014-draft-medium-midfielders
Daniel McKenzie - Vic M
DOB 17.5.1996 Height: 183cm Weight: 77kg
Midfielder with superb athletic traits across all areas, speed, endurance and agility. His excellent vertical leap also gives him the versatility to not only play on opponents his size but also those that are taller. Shows very good game sense and awareness. Averaging 14 disposals and three tackles for Oakleigh at TAC Cup level.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-03/who-stole-the-show-in-this-years-draft-combine

3km time trial (minutes : seconds)
Jack Hiscox 9:18
Tom Lamb 9:45
Alex Neal-Bullen 9:54
Billy Stretch 9:57
Nathan Drummond 9:59
Josh Deluca-Cardillo 10:07
Daniel McKenzie 10:07
Connor Menadue 10:07
Liam Duggan 10:11
Jack Steele 10:11

Agility results (sec)
Clem Smith 8.09
Daniel McKenzie 8.10
Conor McKenna 8.12
Jarrod Pickett 8.13
Teia Miles 8.27
Lukas Webb 8.28
Josh McGuinness 8.33
Billy Stretch 8.33
Kyle Langford 8.36
Jack Lonie 8.37

Repeat sprint results (sec)
Nakia Cockatoo 23.93
Nathan Drummond 23.95
Daniel Nielson 23.99
Daniel McKenzie 24.02
Ed Langdon 24.06
Oleg Markov 24.14
Connor Menadue 24.14
Conor McKenna 24.16
Matthew Goodyear 24.49
Jack Hiscox 24.36

Running vertical jump (cm)
Evan Bruinsma 97
Marvin Baynham 95
Daniel McKenzie 94
Billy Gowers 93
Nathan Drummond 90
Nakia Cockatoo 89
Matthew Uebergang 87
Mitch McGovern 87
James Rose 87
Matthew Hammelmann 87

Skippos said:
25. Daniel McKenzie (Vic Metro - Athletic midfielder/small back)

184 cm, 78 kg
Range: 21-40
Style: Aaron Mullett

Daniel McKenzie is someone who'll be drafted not on what he's done, but what he could turn into. He's athletically exceptional in nearly every regard, with his speed, leap, agility and endurance all top notch. His acceleration is a particular highlight with his ability to create space fantastic. He's a hard worker who maintains a defensive presence throughout games. While his numbers this season haven't been huge, he's shown improvement throughout the season and at a rate strong enough to indicate he can continue to improve at a high rate. His finals performances have been good. He still has a lot to work on but with the natural athletic traits he has, he'll be given the opportunity to make the best of himself.

Evaluation of his prospects: McKenzie has shown enough improvement each week throughout the year to give some confidence that it'll continue and he'll make the grade. His athletic qualities are exciting and he seems to have the footballing ability to back that up.

Knightmare said:
33. Daniel McKenzie (VIC – Def/Mid)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 17/05/1996
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Draft range: 15-45
Best position/role: Half back flank.
Strengths:
Athleticism – McKenzie is one of the standout athletes in this draft testing in the top 10 for agility, running vertical jump, repeat sprints and the 3km time trial. McKenzie frequently uses his pace in game to break the lines and provide meaningful run and carry with ball in hand.
Defensive ability - He also uses his athleticism well defensively and it allows him to restrict the influence of his direct opponent by being able to stay with them not only for pace, in the air and also around the ground. He also runs back strongly in transition as one of the best transition runners in this draft.
Footskills – McKenzie is one of the elite kicks in this draft. He has a long penetrating kick and over a variety of distances can hit his targets lace out. He kicks it out in front of leading players, guiding them to where he wants them to lead to give them the easiest possible uncontested marks. He is capable at times of delivering low, hard daggers for kicks that can get to their destination quickly. He also is a highly efficient kick and while he is damaging, he also is a consistent kick, mostly connecting sweetly on his kicks.
Vision and decision making ability – McKenzie has elite vision and consistently finds the best targets up the ground. He can find targets inside 50 lace out consistently for easy marks but then also finds long targets up the ground and executes and hits them no problem.
Intercept marking – McKenzie reads the flight of the ball well and in the back half is a very good intercept mark, and makes good decisions as to when he can peel off his opponent to take the intercept mark.
Versatility – McKenzie while best suited on a back flank is also as required capable on a forward flank or through the midfield. He can also play a variety of different roles and down back he is not only effective as a rebounder but also can close down his direct opponents influence.
Weaknesses:
Offensive influence – McKenzie does not every week have as noticeable of an offensive influence on the outcome as he should as someone with his linebreaking ability and footskills with only some meaningful possessions each game, though as the season he has improved at this and become more damaging more often.
Easy outside ball – At this stage McKenzie does not find as much easy outside ball as he should and out of the back half and as a link man needs to find more space and find more ways to get his hands on it more as he is someone who can at times do damage with ball in hand.
Slow start to the season – Over the first half of the season McKenzie’s performances were mild at best but as the season progressed he worked his way into the season and started to find the ball more often as he played more in the back half.
What I expect will improve:
McKenzie I imagine will look to kick his hurt factor up a gear in the AFL system, look to find more of the ball and look to influence games offensively more often.
Who he can become?
McKenzie although slightly less damaging has the scope to develop into something like Aaron Mullett as a similarly damaging back flanker.
When will he be ready to play?
McKenzie from season two I imagine will start to push for some senior games and come season three I expect he will be looking to establish himself as a regular part of a best 22.
How to best utilise him?
McKenzie is best utilised across a back flank.
Interpretation of his numbers:
McKenzie’s numbers over the first half of the season were unimpressive but over the second half he started to find more of the ball. He would benefit from finding more uncontested ball with his uncontested ball numbers lower than they could be. His disposal efficiency and kicking efficiency is very good. His marks per game numbers of the second half of the season were very good. His tackles per game numbers are strong by position.

Very interesting pick, but one with great potential. McKenzie was extremely impressive in the back end of the year, and most importantly he's a half-back flanker.

Why hbf? We already have Wright and Webster

Theirs no way this is the no.1 ranked mid available at this pick. But I'll reserve judgement and wait and see. I didn't even pay attention for him at the chargers.

Hopefully he's a gun and proves me wrong

Last edited:
McLean and Webb went after.. Big question in my mind

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can see McKenzie being a great midfielder

Not the best pure mid but his versatility is was makes him dangerous.

Could line up anywhere from a forward pocket to the back pocket and have an impact on games.

I love this selection. This guy could've gone a lot earlier with EVERY club interviewing him. He has all the tools to become a very good player and has a ton of x-factor. Player comparison for mine is Allan Didak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back