Past Daniel McStay (2013-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Luther College Year 12 students Tom Boyd and Daniel McStay were today selected in the 2013 AFL Draft.

Principal of Luther College, Michael Kleidon said, “Tom and Daniel are terrific young men and really close mates."

Funny that, the same Michael Kleidon was my high school principal up here in Rochedale when I went through. Remember him moving to Luther College.

His dad seems like a real good bloke. Can't see him leaving after that little piece on his family. Mcstay I think could be the best of the lot
"What the parents have to understand is that the kids will be okay"

Few certain players sprung to mind when he said that.

When he was lining up for his goal from a tough angle, I was completely confident that he'd kick it. Remarkable really, because I don't know if there's anyone else in the team I would've had that confidence about, and he's a first year player. Definitely exciting.

Was also impressed with him....thought his father was a good man too, not your typical tough talking tatt man.

...but boy, I think he and Bernard Tomic were separated at birth!

His dad seems like a real good bloke. Can't see him leaving after that little piece on his family. Mcstay I think could be the best of the lot

Yeah, his dad did come off as a really nice guy. I also thought it was pretty interesting and impressive that Dan didn't just imitate his Dad and load up with ink. I have no feelings about tattoos either way: some look great, some don't. It did strike me though that they were both so comfortable with how he and his dad had different preferences and both of them were totally comfortable with that. Inasmuch as you can tell from a short, edited clip it seemed like a pretty supportive relationship, and that's great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McStay signs a two year contract extension taking him to the end of 2017.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-10-08/here-to-mcstay

Brisbane Lions youngster Daniel McStay has agreed to two-year contract extension with the Club, which will see him remain at the Lions until at least the end of 2017.

In his first year at the Lions, McStay played nine games, after making his debut in the Club’s memorable win over North Melbourne in Round 15.

McStay, 19, was drafted by the Lions from the Eastern Ranges, with Pick No.25 overall in the 2013 National Draft.

The 19-year-old made his debut just days after Jonathan Brown announced his retirement, and subsequently was lucky enough to be presented his jumper pre-match by the retiring champion.

McStay joins a growing list of young talent who have committed to the Club, including fellow 2014 debutants, Lewis Taylor, Darcy Gardiner, Michael Close and Nick Robertson, and says he is thrilled to extend his time at the Gabba.

“I’m just happy to be McStaying,” McStay joked.

“Seriously though I have really enjoyed my time at the Club so far and I was just rapt to get the opportunities that I did this year.

“The Club is establishing a really good young list and I feel we are working towards something special. I’m excited to be a part of it.”

McStay finding his feet

YOUNGSTER Dan McStay says he is still finding his feet in Lions’ new look forward line.

Coach Justin Leppitsch indicated last season that the 19-year old would have limited opportunities as a key defender and was instead switched to attack, a move that has paid off for the Victorian.

“Leppa kind of said that my position was getting filled there (in the backline) so it gave me an opportunity to push forward and try to build a career up there.”

356014_np.jpg

Bewick loving role change

Another Lion with a new lease on life is key position player Daniel McStay, who will be used as a tall forward option this year.

McStay was told last year by Leppitsch that he would not get a look in as a key defender and suggested a permanent move into attack.

Given the silky skills of the Lions’ new-look midfield contingent and the presence of Josh Green, Dayne Zorko and Lewis Taylor - the small forward trio better known as the 'Mosquito Squad' - it's a change he's looking forward to.

"I'm already teeing up the midfielders in training and just trying to work with them, learn their strengths and what their favourite kicks are - (Tom) Rockliff can't kick over 30 metres, so you're always trying to hit up short," McStay joked.

"I always found it pretty easy to switch from forward and back, so the change up forward hasn't really affected how I go about things."

Daniel McStay says he can succeed filling a big hole in Brisbane Lions forward line

IF THE success of the Brisbane Lions in 2015 can be tied to the growth of one young player, then Daniel McStay is as good a choice as any.

If McStay, just nine games into his AFL career, can string together a year of steady improvement, it is one more reason why the Lions will escape the bottom four.

If he doesn’t – and any 194cm 19-year-old footballer deserves all the understanding that comes their way – then it is another step towards the Lions having to stuff 2105 into their thickening file labelled “development seasons’’.

174215-7d2613c2-d6b0-11e4-9d75-f3c954eb789d.jpg

On an unrelated topic that mark from Close about 2 mins in is the sort of glimpses I hope to see more of this year.

Agreed. He needs to learn to run non stop and watch the big oaf playing on him tire. Those leads in the last qtr will be a sinch if he runs his opponent to the ground, especially whilst he is building his body.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back