Past Daniel McStay (2013-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

McStay would be looking at a big boy contract if his goal kicking improved.
Dan is now 24 years old and been in the system long enough to add consistency to his game. Agree that he has stepped up marginally this year thus far but in 2-3 years time he should be reaching his peak which, based on his achievements to date, doesn't justify a big boy contract at this time in my opinion. He certainly has all the tools to be an A Grade KPF. Fingers crossed that happens.

Brisbane Lions forward Dan McStay will remain in the Lions’ den until at least the end of 2022 after signing a three-year contract extension with the Club.

McStay has played 96 AFL games and kicked 70 goals for the Lions since arriving with Pick No. 25 at the 2013 AFL National Draft.

The 24-year old has played every game for the Lions in 2019 and said it was an easy decision to extend.

“I’m really confident of where the future of this team is going,” McStay said.

“It was an easy decision in the end.”

Dan McStay epitomises the word thoughtful. Both interpretations of the word — considerate of others or to be deep in thought — perfectly describe the Lions forward, who has just signed a new three-year deal with the club. McStay remembered how he struggled to feel settled as he bounced from house to house in his first few years in Brisbane.

So when he bought his first property a couple of years ago, he went to the club and offered to take in a new draftee. Zac Bailey has now lived with him for two years and after last year’s draft they added Tom Joyce.

“When I got drafted, my first three or four years, I moved eight times,” he said. “I found that difficult. “What I wanted to do was bring some players in who were comfortable to stay with me for two or three years or even longer — as long as they wanted. “I thought I could help them with their professionalism but also provide that stability that might help with any issues of homesickness.’’

Footy clubs are generally divided into a few different interest groups. At Brisbane the golfers dominate and there’s a scattering of fishermen, car buffs and surfers as well. McStay is known as a team-oriented player but when it comes to free time, he’s happy to drop off the grid with his German Shepherd, Kaiser.

“I spend a lot of my time walking my dog, that is where in recent times I spend a lot of time thinking about things,” he said. “I go at least once and often twice a day. It is time when I switch off from footy.’’

His personality profile means he will always think before he acts. It is why, even though he grew up with a tattoo artist for a father in a house where he says there were always heavily-inked visitors from around the world, he has never been tempted. “I am a deep thinker, I was always thinking about the future and what if I changed and didn’t like it anymore,’’ he said. “I am not the most spontaneous kind of guy, you look at the AFL and there are plenty of guys getting ink but I think for now I’ll stay a clean skin.’’

He is also prone to thinking after he acts, sometimes excessively when it comes to his footy, which is something coach Chris Fagan identified early in their relationship. “I have had many chats to Fages about that,’’ he admitted. “He urges me that when things happen on the footy field, if I miss a mark or a shot on goal, to not dwell on it too much and let it affect my confidence. “It was changing of mindset for me, I used to look at contest and if I hadn’t marked it was a negative. “Now if I bring it to ground it is a win, if I mark it, it is a bonus.’’

The bolded is not good at all; hopefully things like that have changed since Crowell came on board.

Love the name of his German Shephard; Kaiser.

Last edited:

The bolded is not good at all; hopefully things like that have changed since Crowell came on board.

Love the name of his German Shephard; Kaiser.

Why do you automatically point the blame at the club for that? Could it possibly be for another reason other than the club's mis-management?
Agree about Kaiser..good name.

Brisbane Lions forward Dan McStay says his team believes it’s not making up the numbers
The Brisbane Lions won 16 matches to earn a double chance and a home final, yet some are still doubting them. Forward Dan McStay can’t work out why.

Brisbane forward Dan McStay admits while the club’s meteoric rise has been “crazy”, he’s surprised by the lack of faith outside the Gabba and says the Lions are ready to silence the doubters. The recent 100-gamer didn’t hesitate when asked whether the Lions have the belief they can end a 17-year flag drought, pointing to a year of on-field dominance and big scalps.

“The funny thing for me is that people are still doubting us to some extent,” McStay said. “We haven’t got here by luck. We’ve been through a five-month, 22-game test and we’ve done really well to get here. “Sure, it’s not over but we’re not resting on what we’ve achieved so far. “We believed round 1 that we could beat West Coast and we went into round 23 with the belief we could beat Richmond. “Things didn’t work out for us there but we still believed and we definitely have the belief that we’ll win our first final up here.”

One of Brisbane’s more reserved characters, McStay says he’s nevertheless been buoyed and enthused by the Lions’ Duracell bunny trio of Cam Rayner, Dayne Zorko and Charlie Cameron.

“Cam and Charlie are definitely the ones driving the enthusiasm and when guys are up and about, the boys are all laughing and having a good time,” McStay said. “Obviously Zorks is known for that enthusiasm as well, so those three really bring an infectious energy to the club and we’ve been feeding off that all year. “I think that’s really shown in their seasons as well, all three have been fantastic.”

Cameron, now an All-Australian, has been the competition’s leading small forward, while Rayner and Zorko have shrugged off form and injury concerns in the back half of the season. All three will need to be at their attacking best when flag favourites Richmond roll into town for next week’s qualifying final, with McStay determined to lift the Lions forward line after being shown up in Round 23.

“As forwards, I think we let ourselves down and we probably let the team down early on against Richmond,” McStay said. “We went a little bit away from our structure, we wanted to play body to body and we didn’t do that, which allowed them to take too many marks from our kicks and start their offence from back in our forward 50. “We lost that game in the first quarter, so if we’re able to cut down those early errors, we’re more than a chance next week.”

Strange thing is he did technically the 2 things wrong when he misses from straight in front. He didn’t run straight in and lent back but it went straight through. Maybe he needs to just embrace he has a poor technique and we all know he needs to stop overthinking it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Match Review
Daniel McStay, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with Forceful Front-On Contact against Neville Jetta, Melbourne, during the second quarter of the Round Eight match between Melbourne and the Brisbane Lions, played at Metricon Stadium on Sunday July 26.

In summary he can accept a two-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, High Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a two-match sanction.
I call BS.

Its ok for Burgoyne to bury and smash a guys head off into the ground and get off, but Dan walks aways with 2 weeks b/c campaigners such as Tom Morris get on their high horse that an example needs to be made.

The AFL again showing what little integrity it has.

I didn't realise you folks up in Brisbane had restrictions such as cafes being closed given people can go to the footy. :huh:

The Cafe's/Pubs are open to the general public Dyl, the Lions and Suns players can't do everything the public can do though, I think it's an AFL equalisation measure so we don't get too big an advantage over the teams here in hubs.

Bugger; was really looking forward to seeing all of McStay, Daniher and Hipwood reaking havoc in our forward line against an undersized Sydney outfit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back