Past Daniel McStay (2013-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think people are getting mildly carried away on McStay. Would not be describing anything he does as "elite" at this point.

Great potential but needs far more consistent application. Plays like he has ADHD.
You can't be serious TBD, he is the best prospect we have. Not too many players run as hard as he does back with the flight, lovely low ball drop, serious footballer, we don't have many, you should enjoy him!

You can't be serious TBD, he is the best prospect we have. Not too many players run as hard as he does back with the flight, lovely low ball drop, serious footballer, we don't have many, you should enjoy him!
He is a top prospect but labelling his current form elite is pushing it. Application over the last fortnight has been there but now it's about consistency. So far in his career he has tended to drift in and out of games. Signs are good though

I do. There is a big difference between thinking people are getting carried away and thinking he is no good.

I suspect his fluctuating work rate doesn't come across on TV though. Staying focused for greater periods would be great. The urgency of playing down back certainly helps.

I think people are getting mildly carried away on McStay. Would not be describing anything he does as "elite" at this point.

Great potential but needs far more consistent application. Plays like he has ADHD.
Disagree with you on this one. Is far from an elite player overall but his last 2 weeks have genuinely been borderline elite in my opinion. Some of his defensive work has been fantastic and his contested marks have been a real highlight. His contribution offensively is what has impressed me most though to be honest. Has had the confidence to take tacklers on and has been able to break the majority of them and dish off an accurate handball or kick that has helped set up an offensive attack in transition. He is developing nicely but needs to string games like the past two weeks together on a consistent basis now and continue to improve on working harder and his 2nd/3rd efforts.

Mr. McStay:hearts:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-31/lions-are-as-tight-as-ever-says-defiant-mcstay

DESPITE losing nine of their first 10 games, young Brisbane Lions defender Dan McStay says the club’s playing group is "as tight as ever".

McStay said team unity was better than previous years, conceding there was tension among players during a disastrous 2015 in which they barely avoided the wooden spoon with just four wins.

But with a similar plight staring them in the face this year, the 20-year-old was quick to defend his club on Tuesday.

"The external (perception) is we're a bit of a rabble at the moment, but in the four walls I think we're holding together pretty well," McStay said.

"It's definitely been better than previous years.

"Last year when we were losing a lot there was a little bit of tension in the group, but this year it's definitely a lot better.

"We're as tight as ever.

McStay to miss rest of Season

Defender Daniel McStay will miss the rest of the season after suffering a broken ankle in Sunday’s loss to the GWS Giants.

The 21-year-old was helped off the field by Club doctors during the third quarter after landing awkwardly in a marking contest with Giants forward Jeremy Cameron.

Football Manager Matthew Francis confirmed the news this morning.

“It’s very disappointing for Dan,” said Brisbane Lions Football Manager Matthew Francis.

“He's been a mainstay for us in defense this year and has shown great leadership as one of the younger guys down back. He’ll be a big loss,” said Francis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do. There is a big difference between thinking people are getting carried away and thinking he is no good.

I suspect his fluctuating work rate doesn't come across on TV though. Staying focused for greater periods would be great. The urgency of playing down back certainly helps.

Seen a few times on TV when the opposition takes a mark he immediately puts his head down and gets pissed off rather than staying focused for what will happen next (not all the time but have noticed it a few times from him). The opposition will either play on quickly or his man will get away from him while he's still standing there pissed off. By the time he realizes what's going on it's way too late.

Player Reviews: No. 21 - 25

Third year player Daniel McStay’s season was characterised by steady development. The 21-year-old was strong for the Lions in defence, and was occasionally thrown forward when needed. His season came to an end after an ankle break in Round 17 against GWS.

Coach’s notes:

Dan McStay played 12 games of AFL in 2016 and two NEAFL games. In those two games he took 29 marks. He played mainly at AFL level across half back, occasionally down forward for us and was able to kick 4 goals when he moved forward. McStay hurt his ankle late in the year which shortened his season. He was number 3 for the Club in marks from opposition with 20. McStay’s another player coming into his 4th season with high expectations whether that be as a defender or forward.

mcstayrevarticle.jpg

McStay wanted to go back forward under Fagan

“I think forward might be a great opportunity, especially with our new game plan.

“He (Fagan) came from the Hawks and I thought about the opportunities their forwards get with their game pan and ball movement.

“And with the way he wants us to be playing, I saw great opportunities for myself there.”

And he's up to 98kg, which is a really good size at 195cm. If he maintains his agility and actually gets coached into a decent work rate he could be very dangerous.

Just need him signing a contract ASAP. Victorian teams must be all over him.

Why would he?

Interstate clubs will be throwing cash at him based on potential - but as the club has shown with recent balks at players over expectations, surely Daniel would need to show further improvement throughout the year before we consider matching any 'potential' values?

Why would he?

Interstate clubs will be throwing cash at him based on potential - but as the club has shown with recent balks at players over expectations, surely Daniel would need to show further improvement throughout the year before we consider matching any 'potential' values?

He would- because we make a decent offer and he wants to be part of the club.

We would- because he's a talented footballer and with our new and improved off field set up we believe that we can get the best out of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back