Past Daniel Menzel - delisted 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Menzel didn't get a whole lot of quality delivery to do much with but Gaz put in a classic Gaz performance tonight.
Menzel made the most of his limited and poor opportunities. Rohan did nothing with the amount of quality entries coming into his forward line tonight.

He is certainly a very talented player when fit, however I don't believe that Menzel is anywhere near the level to be considered like the "star" forwards (e.g Buddy, Lockett, Riewoldt, Brown, Pavlich, Ablett Snr, Dunstall etc)

Menzel needs a few more seasons of playing very good football before he could go close to being considered a star. He was delisted by the Cats last year and you just don't delist star players.

AJ also had a very good first season and has managed to ingrain himself into Swans history forever by becoming a 2012 premiership defender, however he also did not reach the level of being a star defender (e.g. Roos, Rance, Scarlett, Leppitch etc)
So stars don’t get injured?

Of course stars can get injured just as less talented players can. My point is that players injured for 3-4 consecutive seasons rarely become stars (Malceski excluded) and are generally either traded or delisted.
Just because they’re injured, doesn’t mean they’re not stars. They might get traded or delisted yes, but this has nothing to do with being a star, it’s about getting consistency out of an asset. If you’re injured, you’re no longer an asset, you’re a liability. It’s possible you’re just a banged up star! I remember Jamie Lawson and what he most likely would’ve been and that injury just cruelled him!

Hey guys. Sorry but menzel was not considered in the slightest a star at geelong. Not sure where you guys get this idea from..?? We delisted him for a reason.

He was often dropped to the VFL as he has little to offer if he doesn’t mark and goal. Very poor at ground and defensively. Was even dropped from the side for a final in 2017.

Hope he gets a decent run and does good things for you guys at he deserves it. But in no way was he ever close to a star.

Had the potential pre knees thought..

Hey guys. Sorry but menzel was not considered in the slightest a star at geelong. Not sure where you guys get this idea from..?? We delisted him for a reason.

He was often dropped to the VFL as he has little to offer if he doesn’t mark and goal. Very poor at ground and defensively. Was even dropped from the side for a final in 2017.

Hope he gets a decent run and does good things for you guys at he deserves it. But in no way was he ever close to a star.

Had the potential pre knees thought..
Often dropped? That’s funny, because when I look at his playing record he was often picked...unless he had knee surgery of course!

I think you’ve been looking at the Geelong footy almanac with Tom Hawkins’ eyes! 🥴

Often dropped? That’s funny, because when I look at his playing record he was often picked...unless he had knee surgery of course!

I think you’ve been looking at the Geelong footy almanac with Tom Hawkins’ eyes! 🥴

It’s hard to use the word often literally for anything menzel since he was injured so much. But yes he was omitted a couple of times. Most famously in the 2017 final.

He could have been anything had he not done his knees.

Menzel 1
Rohan 0

I wouldn’t have thought so. Rohan walks away with the 4 points knowing he’ll be playing in September. Menzel walks away knowing he was in the bottom four players in a losing team that won’t be playing in September.

Menzel is definitely the better player but there was nothing to celebrate tonight on his behalf IMO.

I wouldn’t have thought so. Rohan walks away with the 4 points knowing he’ll be playing in September. Menzel walks away knowing he was in the bottom four players in a losing team that won’t be playing in September.

Menzel is definitely the better player but there was nothing to celebrate tonight on his behalf IMO.
Depends how you look at it. I was talking specifically about Menzel vs Rohan's performance tonight.

Yeah Menzel was better, but they were both incredibly underwhelming tbh
Oh for sure. Hopefully in Menzel case he simply needs to build some fitness and synergy with the team and his output will improve. Having said that I saw him chase a tackle on several occasions which I was happy with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rohan will be sh@##@ng himself if he thinks about playing in September....not sure that is a positive for Gaz.

Rohan is very clearly a better and more useful player than Menzel. It's the height of delusion to think that we somehow did well out of the swap. Menzel looked completely ineffective and out of depth last weekend. Rohan was also poor, but he's just inconsistent. Menzel has been consistently useless for a long time now. He's very lucky to be getting another chance due to Hayward's injury.

Reminder that Menzel missed 4 years of footy and has played 70 less games than Reid but has kicked 137 goals to Reid's 140.

People want to drop Menzel after one game and call him useless while Reid is an 'important piece'.

Reminder that Menzel missed 4 years of footy and has played 70 less games than Reid but has kicked 137 goals to Reid's 140.

People want to drop Menzel after one game and call him useless while Reid is an 'important piece'.

That was swansfan51 like.

I don’t think the comparison is fair. I don’t think they have ever been selected for a similar role. Menzel tends to stay deep whilst Reid has pushed more between the arcs as well as having played ruck and being sent back as superman in defence.

But for arguments sake...
If you look at Reid’s 2019 (11 games) and compare to Menzels 2018 (13 games), outside of scores Reid bests him in most other metrics.

Reid
Disposals +0.7
Tackles +2.1
Contested Poss +2.4
Marks +1.2
Contested Marks +0.83
Marks Inside 50 +0.56
1%ers +2.12
Clearances +0.4
Rebounds +0.2
Hitouts +5.36 (Menzel has 0 obviously)

Menzel
Goals +0.80
Behinds +0.52
i50 +0.30
Uncontested Poss +0.62

My personal conclusion is that Reid contributes more to team success than Menzel.

I was never really that excited about him signing, but he definitely has some class about him. I'm willing to accept his lacklustre match last weekend being a mix of understanding the Swans gameplan and coming back from injury, but he'd want to show a fair bit more tomorrow.

Anyone who expected him to kick 4 goals on debut was dreaming. Was always going to struggle.

1) coming off injury, simple enough.
2) small/medium forward who is playing in a brand new system with a brand new set of teammates so he will need time to adjust and learn how to play with our midfielders and forwards.
3) he plays for Sydney so goal opportunities are slim picking as it is.

Would continue playing him for well over a month.

Anyone who expected him to kick 4 goals on debut was dreaming. Was always going to struggle.

1) coming off injury, simple enough.
2) small/medium forward who is playing in a brand new system with a brand new set of teammates so he will need time to adjust and learn how to play with our midfielders and forwards.
3) he plays for Sydney so goal opportunities are slim picking as it is.

Would continue playing him for well over a month.

Don’t disagree with that.

However I have broader concerns about the forward line as Buddy, Reid, McCartin and even Blakey as talls along with Menzel just isn’t enough ground pressure. Papley alone isn’t enough and now with Hayward out who also provided a bit, it’s potentially even worse.

I thought we had too many of these guys together last week and I think the coaches may have agreed until Hayward pulled the pin and he was reinstated.

For me it’s less about Menzel (who I don’t think I have personally commented on his game last week) and more about the composition of the forward line.

Hopefully Rose can give us some ground pressure and our entries are better than usual....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back