Free Agency Daniel Menzel [Off to Sydney after Swans give him another chance as a DFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintsman14

Debutant
Aug 16, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
ST Kilda is making a big play for the uncontracted, free agent,( unrestricted free agent) I think he'll stay at the cats though

Unless the saints offer more years and financial safety. 620000 per year is about what he'd cost.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
ST Kilda is making a big play for the uncontracted, free agent,( unrestricted free agent) I think he'll stay at the cats though

Unless the saints offer more years and financial safety. 620000 per year is about what he'd cost.
Not sure about those numbers, surely he’s on more like 200-300 at the moment.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
We should be looking at him to keep... He was our 2nd leading goal kicker and he played less then half.
Sounds like we will heavily rely on Hawkins again...

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We should be looking at him to keep... He was our 2nd leading goal kicker and he played less then half.
Sounds like we will heavily rely on Hawkins again...
Exactly, such a strange move when your forward line is so Hawkins focused. Surely there must be the sense that another forward is coming in?

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Exactly, such a strange move when your forward line is so Hawkins focused. Surely there must be the sense that another forward is coming in?
unnamed (1).png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
GCS need good dangerous frwds, this is the type of players they should target imo plus thurlow.
agree our finishing around goal is woeful.
Menzel adds class
I imagine the knock is defensive pressure non existent?
Might be a stumbling point for our heirachy who continued to play Sean lemmens who is useless with the ball and kicked about 3 goals in 10+ games because he chases and tackles hard.

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
agree our finishing around goal is woeful.
Menzel adds class
I imagine the knock is defensive pressure non existent?
Might be a stumbling point for our heirachy who continued to play Sean lemmens who is useless with the ball and kicked about 3 goals in 10+ games because he chases and tackles hard.
Yep, I’d add N Lonie to that shopping list.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Hope the Pies nab him, even just as depth.

I can’t wrap my head around Geelong’s decision here. Surely a good coaching staff can build a forward line which doesn’t expose Menzel’s weaknesses. Josh Caddy is a disgusting defender but because he had an array of small, quick pressure-happy forwards around him, he kicked 46 goals and played a huge part in a premiership tilt at Richmond.

Yeah he can’t defend but he can do just about everything else very well.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
The whole doesn't tackle and chase thing is really blown out of proportion. He is being used as a scapegoat because Geelong don't have quality small forwards.

Put him in a team like Collingwood or Richmond who have excellent team pressure and he will suddenly be rated as one of the best medium forwards in the game.

Hope the Pies nab him, even just as depth.

I can’t wrap my head around Geelong’s decision here. Surely a good coaching staff can build a forward line which doesn’t expose Menzel’s weaknesses. Josh Caddy is a disgusting defender but because he had an array of small, quick pressure-happy forwards around him, he kicked 46 goals and played a huge part in a premiership tilt at Richmond.

Yeah he can’t defend but he can do just about everything else very well.
That’s not it. He simply cannot play out a season. Has started well the last two years but once the grounds get softer and the niggles pile up he looks like he’s limping to the finish line. He’s simply crocked.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
That’s not it. He simply cannot play out a season. Has started well the last two years but once the grounds get softer and the niggles pile up he looks like he’s limping to the finish line. He’s simply crocked.

I would have thought that a bad reaction to a dodgy injection was his main problem this season. Having said that, a preseason with no hiccups and a season with no hiccups would tell us one way or the other.

I want him for at least another year, but as some others have posted, his greatest value might be in a high pressuring team that just lets him off the chain to do what he does best, kick goals.

I wouldn't care if he wasn't at Geelong, I'd just like to see at least one season, injury history accepted, from him, where he can just play as much as he's capable of with nothing interrupting him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back