Free Agency Daniel Menzel [Off to Sydney after Swans give him another chance as a DFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely this year someone ponies up a 2 year offer to get him to leave

Strange time to bump the thread given he has missed a couple with injury and looks like he will miss again.

He played really well when his body was fresh last year too. Then when the season took its toll on the body his form dropped.

We will see what his form is like post this interruption. Obviously they were jabbing him up to get him out there, not a great sign going forward, and then he has had a reaction to the injection.

If you guys offer 1 year again and someone offers 2 I reckon he would leave and would have left last year
He's quite happy with the one year deals and understands why.

He's quite happy with the one year deals and understands why.

Surely his understanding of his own injury issues would be even more reason for him to jump at the security of a two year deal if one was offered to him?

Surely his understanding of his own injury issues would be even more reason for him to jump at the security of a two year deal if one was offered to him?
There was article recently which he spoke in saying he understands the situation and is quite happy about it.

There was article recently which he spoke in saying he understands the situation and is quite happy about it.
I'm sure he does, but he also probably understands that every time he walks onto a football field it could be the last time especially with his background, so if someone offered him that job security of a 2 year contract he would defiantly have to think about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy only has value in a team contending. Would be a total liability in a poor team.

He has a place on an AFL list, just with a team that can carry his total lack of defensive pressure. Was awful on Saturday.

Was killed by Hawkins' inability to hit a target.

If those are the only two opportunities he has to impact at AFL level then **** me. What was he doing for the other 118 minutes?

Doesn't suit the modern football. He reminds me of Aaron Lord.

In an 11 point game it only takes 2 opportunities to make the difference.

Geelong have bigger problems than Menzel.

Shall I start threads and trash every Hawthorn player who has played 50 games or less every time they have a poor game?

In an 11 point game it only takes 2 opportunities to make the difference.

Geelong have bigger problems than Menzel.

Shall I start threads and trash every Hawthorn player who has played 50 games or less every time they have a poor game?

Plenty of those on the Bay dude, feel free.

Why would the saints want him? Baffling
Because we struggle to kick goals and that's what he does best is one reason.

Another is that we would like to be able to play Gresham in the midfield more, but with him contributing more than anyone we have on the scoreboard, we leave him forward most of the time. Adding a Menzel up there would allow us to play Gresham in the midfield more.

We need to get better as a team and he would make us a better team.

Because we struggle to kick goals and that's what he does best is one reason.

Another is that we would like to be able to play Gresham in the midfield more, but with him contributing more than anyone we have on the scoreboard, we leave him forward most of the time. Adding a Menzel up there would allow us to play Gresham in the midfield more.

We need to get better as a team and he would make us a better team.

You could seriously make a case he would make you worse.

You could seriously make a case he would make you worse.
I have to admit the idea of him and McCartin in the same team does make me concerned from a defensive pressure POV up forward! Other than that I don't see too many downsides.

We have what I consider to be plenty of quality young talent on our list (not the best going around, but enough), but just not enough quality experience around them and if we're not able to get the "big fish", because we're too far from contending, hopefully getting in 2 or 3 who will be easily best 22 will help us get back to the stage where the "big fish" will consider us.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back