Past Daniel Menzel - delisted 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Menzel needs to keep playing neafl... Did his usual on the weekend but must be expected to chase as well... lets see

How much did Menzel play against the Suns? From what I can read he's still not up to a full match of playing time?

I'm pretty sure he played a full game. Was certainly on the ground all four quarters for lengthy periods so I didn't notice anything beyond the usual interchange rotations.

Our last two star forwards did not enjoy happy debuts for our club as we lost games we should have won. Buddy's debut came in our first ever loss against a poor GWS side, and the year before, Tippett's debut came in an upset loss to Port Adelaide.

Thankfully, we shouldn't win this one, so I'm tipping Menzel to have a big one :devil:

Our last two star forwards did not enjoy happy debuts for our club as we lost games we should have won. Buddy's debut came in our first ever loss against a poor GWS side, and the year before, Tippett's debut came in an upset loss to Port Adelaide.

Thankfully, we shouldn't win this one, so I'm tipping Menzel to have a big one :devil:

Ah no! Swans to win, Menzel will kick 3 goals

And then starred the following week against Carlton in the pouring rain if I recall. I should know, I was there to watch X Richards make his 6 sec debut or whatever it was!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does a delisted forward with a history of 4 knee recos truly count as a star forward? I'm barracking for an upset tomorrow (albeit very unlikely).

Former Cat Menzel ready for second life as a Swan
ANDREW WU MAY 31, 2019

For the first time in a long time, Dan Menzel is pain free. He has not felt this way since 2011, before the first of his four knee reconstructions.
To put into context his 28 goals from 18 games, consider that Isaac Heeney kicked 28 from 24 matches in 2016 at the corresponding stage of his career.

https://www.outline.com/8jy94U

Does a delisted forward with a history of 4 knee recos truly count as a star forward? I'm barracking for an upset tomorrow (albeit very unlikely).

I think Menzel is a star. Certainly as much of a star as Tippett was when we got him. Should note that ‘star’ isn’t that high up on the list of things you could call a footballer.

I’ve always liked Dan... marvelled at his bag of tricks.
My excitement had waned with the messiah-like hype of his arrival here despite the obvious fitness issues, and when Gardiner stated he would play next week and I saw him out at the twos hobbling under the weight of a clipboard that weekend, it was like... “f*** him off”
An over the back handball to a teammate for goal, and that almost unexplainable juggle- nudge-mark and goal last week enough to win back my heart.
Stevie J, Buddy, Eddie, Breust, Gunston... nobody has the grace and cleverness of Menzel imo.
Regardless of the result, I hope the quality of the game matches the backstory of Dan and Gaz.

Does he not? You didn’t rate Johnson as a star back?

He is certainly a very talented player when fit, however I don't believe that Menzel is anywhere near the level to be considered like the "star" forwards (e.g Buddy, Lockett, Riewoldt, Brown, Pavlich, Ablett Snr, Dunstall etc)

Menzel needs a few more seasons of playing very good football before he could go close to being considered a star. He was delisted by the Cats last year and you just don't delist star players.

AJ also had a very good first season and has managed to ingrain himself into Swans history forever by becoming a 2012 premiership defender, however he also did not reach the level of being a star defender (e.g. Roos, Rance, Scarlett, Leppitch etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back