Retired Daniel Merrett (2002-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Doing his shopping at Carina Noth Butcher as we speak. Man that dude is tall.

Probably an advantage in his line of work. More power for jointing sides of beef, and such.

I'm here all week, folks.

Doing his shopping at Carina Noth Butcher as we speak. Man that dude is tall.

Accidentally knocked out the butcher with his elbow while leaning over to put in his EFTPOS pin?

Surgery for Rog and Goose

Daniel Merrett and Matt Maguire will undergo surgery once the Brisbane Lions’ 2014 campaign comes to a close, to clean up minor ailments ahead of next season. Physical Performance Manager Brett Burton, of the Bupa Recovery Team, said the pair’s respective injuries weren’t anything serious and wouldn’t hinder their 2015 pre-season preparations. “Daniel Merrett will go in for a knee and ankle – they be a couple of weeks apart. “Both those (surgeries) are minor clean-ups, so they’ll be back for a full pre-season.” Merrett and Maguire aren’t the only sore Lions, with Burton revealing a number of others have pulled up sore from Sunday’s tough encounter with Fremantle at the Gabba.

The Wash-Up: Brisbane Lions

Disappointment: In a team with so much youth, Leppitsch needed his senior core to stand up. While Andrew Raines and Brent Moloney (hampered by an Achilles injury) playing twos didn't help, Merrett was the man playing well below par. He struggled early at full-back, and then even more when moved forward following Brown's retirement. He had a tough role, but is capable of so much more. Mayes had a poor second season, but can be slightly excused as Leppitsch tried to educate him in a number of new roles.

Merrett rumour 'unfounded'

DANIEL Merrett is going nowhere despite reports to the contrary, according to the Brisbane Lions.

Angry Lions football manager Dean Warren said that simply was not the case.

He described the rumours as "deplorable" and "unfounded".

"At this time of year a lot of people's names get thrown around," Warren told AFL.com.au.

"No doubt there's been clubs that have raised Daniel Merrett's name with us … it's just discussions you have with clubs at this time of year.

"It's just part of the process. Why his name has been singled out … it's just inappropriate.

"He's contracted for another couple of years. As far as I'm concerned, Daniel's a required player."

Merrett set to remain at Lions

BRISBANE chief executive Greg Swann says veteran defender Daniel Merrett is not about to leave the club any time soon. Lions list manager Peter Schwab told Melbourne radio on Monday that Merrett was “exploring some options’’, but had not told the club what he wanted to do. Swann said the 29-year-old was set to stay at the Gabba as no clubs had approached Brisbane about a possible trade. “Nobody has spoken to us about him,’’ Swann said. “He’s got two years to run on his contract. He’s staying as far as we are concerned.’’

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One day left in the 2014 Trade Week and it seems that Sauce is staying with us after all.

This pleases me.

Thought he took on the role of make shift forward really manfully in the season just gone, especially when it's known that he much prefers to play down back. I'd also like to say that IMO, Sauce cops some pretty harsh and unfair criticism from our own supporters from time to time. He's been a good and loyal servant for many years and deserves more respect than some (many?) are willing to give.

Barring some last moment dramatic trade it looks like he's here to stay.

Go Sauce.

Daniel Merrett will play exclusively in defence says Brisbane Lions coach Justin Leppitsch

BRISBANE coach Justin Leppitsch has delivered music to the ears of Daniel Merrett by declaring the veteran will be used exclusively as a defender in 2015.

Merrett admitted that 2014 was the worst season of his career after being switched from the backline to the forward line to cover the loss of club great Jonathan Brown.

The 30-year-old was open to being traded at the end of the year to revitalise his career and at the start of pre-season openly conceded he was no longer guaranteed a place in Brisbane’s first-choice side after taking his spot for granted in 2014.

519556-222d78f8-b0c6-11e4-8de0-9ed87417a9dc.jpg

This was posted almost 2 years ago now but I think it is a great picture and it is great to see ex players like J-Mac still supporting old friends at the club. I use to enjoy watching J-Mac play for the Lions. His 2008 season was superb.

I was sitting next to J-Mac at Browny's 200th against the Bombers in '10 & he was even more nervous about the game than I was, riding every bump and goal like a true supporter! Good bloke.

I was sitting next to J-Mac at Browny's 200th against the Bombers in '10 & he was even more nervous about the game than I was, riding every bump and goal like a true supporter! Good bloke.
He might have stopped twitching if you'd kept your hands to yourself.

Merrett feeling at home

THERE'S a surety and safety about being at home, and for Brisbane Lion Daniel Merrett, that means a return to defence.

After what he's described as the worst season of his career, the veteran full-back looked rock solid anchoring the Lions' defence in their opening two NAB Challenge victories.

Merrett had a tumultuous 2014, starting with his degenerating form when moved to the forward line and finishing with trade rumours linking him to both Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs.

361214-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Personally, I would have hated to see him leave. Sure, hes been a bit of a whipping boy the last few years but you cant take a Fullback, shove him forward and expect Coleman-eske performances. Hes been a FB all his career, its where he was at his peak and its where he'll rightly finish when he decides to hang the boots up.

The fact that he'll now be a one club player is a credit to himself.

Personally, I would have hated to see him leave. Sure, hes been a bit of a whipping boy the last few years but you cant take a Fullback, shove him forward and expect Coleman-eske performances. Hes been a FB all his career, its where he was at his peak and its where he'll rightly finish when he decides to hang the boots up.

The fact that he'll now be a one club player is a credit to himself.

Agreed.

Having just turned 30, and generally OK with injuries; another 3 seasons should see him out :thumbsu:

So glad to have him return to FB :footy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back