Retired Daniel Merrett (2002-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm starting to think this is a blessing in disguise..

..we have unearthed some serious talent down back, they have done wonders in the last two weeks. Do we want to throw out the balance bringing Merrett back in??

Please don't misunderstand me here....Daniel has been our savior on so many occasions over the years, but maybe it is time to settle a new breed into the backline.....youth, youth who will work together over quite a few years and know how their teammates will play even if blindfolded, and develop strong bond!

Just a thought, but perhaps it is time to settle this team to go forward with our youngins.

Just a thought, but perhaps it is time to settle this team to go forward with our youngins.

Those young talls are going to hit the wall at some point.

Harris Andrews is a first year player holding down one of the most demanding positions on the ground.

Gardiner is leaving nothing on the field week-after-week. It will catch up with him very soon.

Those young talls are going to hit the wall at some point.

Harris Andrews is a first year player holding down one of the most demanding positions on the ground.

Gardiner is leaving nothing on the field week-after-week. It will catch up with him very soon.
Furthermore, it would be great just to rotate Gardiner out and give him a rest. He is being held together atm.

Brisbane Lions unsure when defender when Daniel Merrett will return

THE immediate playing future of Brisbane defender Daniel Merrett is in limbo after he suffering nerve complications in his comeback from a hamstring injury.

The Lions changed Merrett’s status on the official injury list this week, with the veteran’s time on the sidelines now “indefinite’’.

He injured his hamstring in the days leading up to Brisbane’s Round 2 clash with North Melbourne. It was assessed as a grade 1 tear and the 30-year-old was expected to miss two to three weeks.

But it has been six weeks since he crashed to the Gabba turf during a training drill.

Once those simply soft tissue injuries start dragging out you know you are getting close to the end. We have some good talent down back, but they are so so very young. Bringing in a KPD this year by FA or trade is just as important, if not more important than a KPF for me. If we can't land Rance, there needs to be a plan B.

Id just about be happy enough to draft a KPF at our first pick, and keep working with Close/Bergs/McStay/Freeman up forward for now. If our pick landed a high enough rated KPF, i think we could make do to allow us to chase that ready made defender.

I think we'll try and get another year out of Merrett anyway. With McGuane, Staker and Maguire all pretty close to certainties to retire we can't afford to lose our 4th experienced KPP. It would be good to have a plan B for Merrett being out. Andrews might be it if we can't get an experienced key defender in the off season.

Probably comes in for Golby. Geez there gonna have some headaches at the selection table when Hanley Merret and freeman are fit.

I just hope Merrett gets fit, would hate for him to go out with injury. Nerve damage is not a good thing and usually takes time to heal

Last edited:
I just hope Merrett gets fit, would hate for him to go out with injury. Nerve damage is not a good thing and usually take time to heal
They just put an article on the afl website saying they don't know when he will be back. If it's bad enough we could see staker goose and Merrett gone all in the one year.

Some medical opinion is that he may well be gone. As in not coming back.

A lot were saying at the Gabba on Sunday that someone was close to retiring, the general consensus was it was Staker, however I think it might be Rog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This would be a massive blow if we lose merret to retirement. But it frees up a little extra money to throw at rance.

Edit. Not the place to be discussing that though sorry mods.

Reserves Wrap - Gold Coast Suns - 27/06/2015 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Rog’s first game back. He played a half, we started him on the bench and then worked him on in the second quarter being a general for us down there. Starting points would be one for him to work on during the week. He’s missed a lot of footy and was a bit rusty with ball in hand, he’ll continue to work on that during the week. It was good to see him back, he hit full speed, he crashed packs, his tackling and intensity was on in the game so it was good to see Rog get through.

Reserves Wrap - NT Thunder - 04/07/2015 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Took another step in his progression back from injury. Played him on Ewing, Ewing kicked three but I thought Rodge was very solid, hit top speeds again throughout the day. Played long game time, and certainly pushed for senior selection, which I think the senior boys we need another big body coming in against Sydney. Did his chances no harm there at all.

Daniel Merrett returns for Brisbane Lions after long stint on sidelines with hamstring injury

DANIEL Merrett has carried a little saying throughout his career — “if it was easy everyone would be doing it.”

It is why, after a 13-week recovery from a horror hamstring injury, he is happy to return against the star-studded Swans attack this week.

Had his recovery taken just a week longer he’d be back against the Demons but instead he will take his position at fullback for the Lions and man-up whichever one of the Bondi Billionaires — Kurt Tippett, Adam Goodes and Lance Franklin — stations themselves in the most dangerous position on the ground in the goal square.

Player Reviews: Part Four

Merrett was missing in action for the majority of 2015, with a nasty hamstring injury forcing the talented defender and club leader to sit on the sidelines for much of the season. After playing in Round One, Merrett missed 13-weeks before returning in Round 15 against the Swans, where he proved himself as one of the league’s best big-bodied defenders (taking on Sydney’s tall forwards) and provided much-needed experience to the Club’s developing backline. Merrett is set to play his 200th game in 2016 and will be relied on for leadership as the junior players continue to mature.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back