Retired Daniel Merrett (2002-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Merrett charged with wrestling

The Match Review Panel (MRP) has this afternoon announced that Daniel Merrett has been charged with wrestling Melbourne Captain Nathan Jones.

Here's what was said in the media release from the AFL:

Daniel Merrett, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with wrestling Nathan Jones, Melbourne, during the third quarter of the Round Nine match between the Brisbane Lions and Melbourne, played at the MCG on Sunday May 22, 2016.

In summary, his $1500 sanction can be reduced to a $1000 sanction with an early guilty plea.

A first offence for wrestling was classified as a $1500 sanction. The player has no applicable record which impacts the penalty. An early plea enables the player to accept a $1000 sanction.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-20/daniel-merrett-keen-to-play-on-for-brisbane-lions-in-2017

BRISBANE Lions veteran Daniel Merrett admits to not playing great football this season, but says he still has something to offer and wants to play on in 2017.

The 31-year-old is out of contract at the end of the season, and with the Lions featuring a backline devoid of experience, says he has a hunger to extend his 12-year career.

Merrett is the only Lion aged over 30, although ruckman Stefan Martin – still with a further three seasons on his deal – will join that club in November.

"No, I'm not having a great year, but I still feel like I can bring something to the group," Merrett said.

"I definitely want to play on next year.

"I think my young, developing backline, I get a lot of motivation from those guys, supporting them and mentoring them and I'd like to continue that on next year."

Merrett has missed three games this season – all due to illness – but will return to play Essendon on Sunday and says his body is holding up well.

My first thought when the phone notification (saying Sauce had retired) was accompanied by an umpire's whistle sound was 'how appropriate'.

I am on record as one that felt Sauce was a liability this season (and much of last) but this isn't about that. This is to acknowledge the mighty effort Sauce gave week in week out for over a decade in a period where his role was constantly under pressure.

Even if the weight of the continued assaults and the deterioration of his physical capabilities ultimately got to him, I'll never question the commitment and passion, and you have to respect a man who squoze every ounce out of himself. And his 'Rusty Fist' years were something to behold.

I just hope the Sauce Squad rocks up to game 200, and supports him in an un-ironic way.

#thanksRog

While I think he is doing the right thing, it is going to be really strange having no "Sauce" out there.

He gave his best endeavors for the club and was a genuine club man, and much loved by all the players..

Cheers and thanks Daniel

Yes, credit where credits due, fine achievement irrespective of whether I think he went on over 100 games too long.

Says more about our club and list throughout his tenure really.

That was a very emotional farewell clip. I know we weren't his biggest fans on field this year but our defense most certainly would have been worse off without him there. You won't find a better clubman anywhere in the competition. Many of you won't know this but he fought tooth and nail to play as many games he did, especially in the last couple of years. It was inspirational really. His 2011 or 2012 season before that stress fracture was absolutely elite and that injury arguably robbed him of an AA to his name. Glad he'll still be around the Club next season. He is very well respected among the group.

Will be there for his 200th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

great clubman who was passionate about our club. best memory was that towelling he gave Riewoldt when he had 17 odd spoils on him if I remember right. Was the best game for a defender I have seen which I know is a huge call. Not long after Voss started using him as a stop gap forward and he lost his defensive edge and never really got it back IMO. Anyway, cheers for the memories Sauce

Was one of the many who have sponsored players through #bigfooty DM-in-08 was my first. A top bloke, all the best post playing Big Rog.
xFOeV6C.jpg

Pgwp6Ti.jpg

5jbkqJy.jpg

Wishing enjoyment with Family, music & whatever…. Maybe even catch this mob?
[sorry, I couldn't post in the Merrett roster watch without a music clip ;) ]

great clubman who was passionate about our club. best memory was that towelling he gave Riewoldt when he had 17 odd spoils on him if I remember right. Was the best game for a defender I have seen which I know is a huge call. Not long after Voss started using him as a stop gap forward and he lost his defensive edge and never really got it back IMO. Anyway, cheers for the memories Sauce

Round 5 - 2011. The best individual game I've seen played by a Key Defender.

Daniel Merrett, The Teacher

Jackson Paine has described retiring defender Daniel Merrett as one of the best ‘teachers’ he has seen in his five years of senior football.

Merrett announced his retirement to the playing group last Tuesday and will play his 200th and final match against St Kilda in Melbourne on Sunday.

Paine, a fellow defender, told listeners of the Lions ‘The Players’ Lounge Podcast’ that Merrett’s presence has been invaluable.

“He’s probably been the best teacher I’ve seen in my five years of AFL footy,” Paine said.

“His genuine willingness to get the young key defenders in and teach them things and have discussions is probably the best I’ve seen of any other players.

“He’s been able to pass on some of his wisdom which is so beneficial for the club.”

Podcast guest Michael Close conceded that it wouldn't be easy seeing Merrett retire after 14-seasons at the Club.

“He’s very important to the Club off-field. He’s looked after Schache this year, he didn’t have to do that.

“He’s shown him the ropes, about diet, and off-field, how everything should work. On-field he’s a real competitor out there. He’s a very hard man to play against just because of his competitive nature and he’s a big strong boy.

“It’ll be hard to see him go.”

Article in the Courier Mail on Dan had the following quote
'Merrett, who will stay at the club in a welfare and key position player mentoring role, said Brisbane should look to emulate the rise of St Kilda who will be gunning for their 12th win of 2016'
I think this is a great move by the club as Merrett still has a role to play in developing our key young backs. Furthermore, he could even play as a top up player in the our NEAFL side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back