The Law Daniel Morcombe breakthrough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Some people are just born evil...pure and simple..just bad to the bone as they say..

...to use the excuse they were mistreated as a child defies my logic....if they didn't like being treated that way themselves, why treat another child/person that way?..

Most of the excuses are just cop outs for being straight out evil..

..please note: I did say some people

I agree with the first bit here. I stood in a very drunk congregation of philosophers, psychologists and sociologists, about twenty years ago, and said more or less that. They were stunned. There are people who just turned out bad. Why this happened is really of no relevance. To say that it was of any relevance would be to say that the situation could be retrospectively altered.

However, to deny the the effects of experience on the person we are becoming seems to me to be to be a denial of the complexities of existence. None of these ideas will ever appear in 'The Daily Telegraph' or 'The Herald-Sun'.

I really don't know the stats on this so yeah it'd be a guess either way.

However, I do believe the proportion of abusers who have been abused is high.

This is a very generous concession, but you never hear about those who adjust better. There's no story to be sold.

Some people are just born evil...pure and simple..just bad to the bone as they say..

...to use the excuse they were mistreated as a child defies my logic....if they didn't like being treated that way themselves, why treat another child/person that way?..

Most of the excuses are just cop outs for being straight out evil..

..please note: I did say some people

Saying that people are just born "evil" is the cop-out IMO.

I doubt there's a person in existance who hasn't done something to others that they themselves wouldn't wish done unto them.

Regarding those who have been abused and continue the cycle, I believe it's to do with:
A form of control/misplaced revenge- they replicate whatever damage was done to them, placing themselves in the dominant role;
Or they grow up to see such behaviour as normal, having spent their lives under the thumb of whatever kind of cruelty, with noone to help them or tell them that it's wrong.

Of course, there a millions of variables in each case, the majority of which would be unknown to anyone but the perpetrator, so it's hard to point out any one reason why they turn out so f**ked up.

I agree with the first bit here. I stood in a very drunk congregation of philosophers, psychologists and sociologists, about twenty years ago, and said more or less that. They were stunned. There are people who just turned out bad. Why this happened is really of no relevance. To say that it was of any relevance would be to say that the situation could be retrospectively altered.

However, to deny the the effects of experience on the person we are becoming seems to me to be to be a denial of the complexities of existence. None of these ideas will ever appear in 'The Daily Telegraph' or 'The Herald-Sun'.

It intrigues me. I've been brought up with the image that a child's mind is a sponge. It will soak up EVERYTHING. All childhood experiences come together to eventually form the adult psyche. Right and wrong. Please and thankyou. Respect. Sympathy. Empathy. The parents' role is crucial here, as are teachers.

If it soaks up enough s**t in these early stages however, enough negative experiences, the sponge is discoloured forever.

I don't agree with your 'why this happened is of no relevance'. Here's an argument - if you had a time machine and could go back in time (It's cliché these days to use him as an example monster I know, so sorry in advance) to visit a seven year-old Adolf Hitler, would you kill him thinking to prevent the horror that was to follow? Would you talk to him? Do you think a more positive childhood may forever change his outlook?

I believe that a psychologist may have a chance to save some of these victims at the childhood level. Most survivors of abuse do go on to live out their lives without a corrupted sense of right and wrong, but not every child has that inner strength. Some tragically fall.

I'm hanging to find out how the cops eventually caught this bloke and knew exactly where to search. The police cop a lot of crap (some justified) in the way they operate, but this appears to be impressive detective work on their part.

It intrigues me. I've been brought up with the image that a child's mind is a sponge. It will soak up EVERYTHING. All childhood experiences come together to eventually form the adult psyche. Right and wrong. Please and thankyou. Respect. Sympathy. Empathy. The parents' role is crucial here, as are teachers.

If it soaks up enough s**t in these early stages however, enough negative experiences, the sponge is discoloured forever.

I don't agree with your 'why this happened is of no relevance'. Here's an argument - if you had a time machine and could go back in time (It's cliché these days to use him as an example monster I know, so sorry in advance) to visit a seven year-old Adolf Hitler, would you kill him thinking to prevent the horror that was to follow? Would you talk to him? Do you think a more positive childhood may forever change his outlook?

I believe that a psychologist may have a chance to save some of these victims at the childhood level. Most survivors of abuse do go on to live out their lives without a corrupted sense of right and wrong, but not every child has that inner strength. Some tragically fall.

Your account of the inevitability of a discoloured sponge allows no possibility of an influence on existence by the will of the individual being. You are preaching a form of determinism here.

I can't understand why a butcher or a carpenter would not prove equally adept at counselling somebody. You can read into that I see every little within psycholgists which would qualify them any better than those in these other trades. That is, not at all.

I'm hanging to find out how the cops eventually caught this bloke and knew exactly where to search. The police cop a lot of crap (some justified) in the way they operate, but this appears to be impressive detective work on their part.

Seeing this bloke was mentioned in the inquest (three years ago, I think), it seems fair to assume he's been in their sights for a while. The most likely reason they searched where they did is that he told them that's where he dumped the body.

Most crimes are solved due to information provided to police, about the offender, by a third party. Except in about 15% of offences, where there
is some cunning detective work undertaken, this is how most cases are resolved.

This has come up on my YouTube feed today. Just started watching it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back