Daniel NotStay-ing

Remove this Banner Ad

His most memorable work for me was nailing Lever HTB in the dying moments in that brilliant Semi win .

Lever's subsequent dummy spit followed by the 360 degree pirouette, followed by the 50, followed by McStay kicking the sealer was just ....well.....memorable

Good note to go out on, Dan. Good memories, always put in.

Hardly, should be reserved for one club players - not players who turn there backs on the club. Life membership should be rescinded and or be awarded on a discretionary basis.
If you had the option to straight swap McStay for Dunkley would you do it? And if so would that be you turning your back on McStay after he hung around during the tough years and gave his all during the finals series?

Has anyone checked in on 3KZ is Football ?

You coping ok with this news mate?

All the best Dan, except when we play you naturally. I hope whoever plays on the oppositions third best tall towels you up :D
Sorry, I’ve been busy. I need to find a new whipping boy.

That said, Dan McStay seems like a really nice bloke, so good luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe he thinks we need to add a pick to that trade too ?

McStay + a pick = Dunkley.
My original point which I don’t think I got across very well was more about the “loyalty” players owe to team. He’s of the opinion that McStay has turned his back on the team and has selfishly made the move back to Victoria. My point was that if the shoe was on the other foot and we had the ability to swap McStay with a better player in a position of need we wouldn’t think twice.

Anyways apologies for the tangent and goodluck to Dan in the future.

I had you pegged for a Fullarton guy.
Nah, I like Fullarton. I was lining Payne up as a possible, but he showed much more aggression against Geelong in the Preliminary Final. We just need to give him the angry pills. I’ll prolly end up going for Answerth in the short term and see how that pans out.

Nah, I like Fullarton. I was lining Payne up as a possible, but he showed much more aggression against Geelong in the Preliminary Final. We just need to give him the angry pills. I’ll prolly end up going for Answerth in the short term and see how that pans out.

Well, there are reservations over his kicking action. If only we knew someone who could coach him ;)

Well, there are reservations over his kicking action. If only we knew someone who could coach him ;)
I’ll ask my son. He’s about to start summer comp Basketball, but he might find the time. Answerth was terrible against Geelong, but then so was everyone else. I’d rather see Prior in the team than Answerth.

The thing with Dan McStay is that you really only get one rolled gold whipping boy in your career as a supporter, but I’ve been lucky and had two, because Sam Sheldon will always be my number one whipping boy.

It’s like the famous Kerry Packer quote

“You only get one Alan Bond in your lifetime and I've had mine”

Dan was carried by Fagan in 2020 and he should have been dropped multiplie times. To McStay’s credit, he really worked on his kicking for goal and he improved out of sight in that regard. His biggest flaws are the lengthy periods he regularly disappears out of games and his marking. When he’s holding them he looks great, but too often he’s got hands like bricks.

In the end I think we should have stuck with him as a rebounding defender. Now that he’s gone, I’ve put Dan in the Noel Mugavin basket.

It will be very interesting to see how much patience Collingwood fans have. He’s got a long contract and is on good money, so the they will be expecting big things.

Last edited:
If reports are true that Cwood scum arranged a job for his partner, then the AFL are as weak as p$ss for allowing that to happen.

That kind of arrangement should have been outlawed before Judd given Visy money for fake job.

Salary cap Rort. Absolute disgrace.

If reports are true that Cwood scum arranged a job for his partner, then the AFL are as weak as p$ss for allowing that to happen.

That kind of arrangement should have been outlawed before Judd given Visy money for fake job.

Salary cap Rort. Absolute disgrace.
Link.

Sad to lose Dan just as he'd turned corner and now answers to Dan McGun. Has always been an important cog in the machine but recently his individual brilliance has been more noticeable, especially his much improved goal kicking.

Best of luck Dan

Dan turned the corner over the last two seasons, likely popping up on Collingwood's radar late last year when he snagged a few against them. I recall they poached Jack Crisp two matches after we toweled them in 2014. He's likely straight in the side at the expense of young Ash Johnson who underperformed in the semi & prelim, needless to say I'll be watching with a keen eye ;)

Third banana tall is always a tough place to play.

A bit like a small forward where if it's not your day, you invariably "go missing".

He was a role player and must have been good at it. He got picked every week in our team that has made finals 4 years in a row, 3 of them in the top four
He chose to leave, he will be getting my boos when he returns with the pies in 2023!

Dan was a handy forward, at best, but who went missing for weeks. Too many one disposal halfs over the last two seasons for me and that's when he started to [play better.

We have plenty of handy forwards (McCarthy, Joe, Hipwood) but what we need is elite forwards like Charlie if we want to win a flag. They don't come around often.

I can see him popping up in their defensive structure, which I reckon is where we should have put more time into him.
Dan was a handy forward, at best, but who went missing for weeks. Too many one disposal halfs over the last two seasons for me and that's when he started to [play better.

We have plenty of handy forwards (McCarthy, Joe, Hipwood) but what we need is elite forwards like Charlie if we want to win a flag. They don't come around often.
I've thought for a long time that we're missing a true Jonathan Brown replacement. That strong body, lead up, chest marking forward is something we just don't have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back