News Daniel O’Keefe appointed Carlton VFL Reserves Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

We can do better than appoint an U18s coach, even though he was successful, to coach a large group of talented recruits at the most important point in their development. I don't think O'keefe played a senior game with Sydney. How does someone from this background, walk the walk with the players?

As for walking the walk with the players, if he’s good enough, he will probably be able to do it the same way as coaches the world over do it, who never played at the level they coach.

Chris Fagan never played AFL. David Noble played 2 games for Fitzroy.

Alastair Clarkson played 134 games, 1 losing final. Hardly the resume of a 4 time premiership coach if that's what it takes.

We can do better than appoint an U18s coach, even though he was successful, to coach a large group of talented recruits at the most important point in their development. I don't think O'keefe played a senior game with Sydney. How does someone from this background, walk the walk with the players?

Chris Fagan goes ok.....

Maybe it's not about how successful they were as a player but how they applied themselves and how well they connect with people.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Eric Spolstra the video guy to championship coach. Now second longest tenured coach in NBA.

Yep. Jose Mourinho, who was Bobby Robson's translator at Barca...there's a long list.

Many American football coaches realised at an early age they were never going to cut it as pro players and there is no stigma in the sport re: never having played the game at the highest level. The theory is that if you're successful coaching at one level, you have the potential to be successful at another. There's a solid theory that in many ways the longer you are pursuing a mediocre-at-best playing career, you are missing out on coaching opportunities. I was lucky enough to be on a football operations mentoring program led by Tom Coughlin when he worked at the NFL in 2016, and also worked with Steve Mariucci for the 3 years I was with the league. Both did alright despite never playing the game at the highest level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back