Daniel Ricciardo thread.

imadodgyumpire

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
I had been meaning to do this after getting into a s**tstorm about it after the French GP. happy eagle's post on the Hungarian GP thread about whether it was wirthwhile staying at RB reminded me to do so.

Personally, I reckon Ricciardo hasn't pulled his weight this year. He's made some blunders that have been costly. He's moved from being in the 3rd best car in the "top tier" to being the better of the "2nd tier" teams. Because of it, he has to change his style in how he goes about racing.

With RB being the 3rd best of the top teams, you get maximum value for being ultra aggressive, because you're not under threat from the 2nd tier teams. But in a Renault, there's not much to gain from trying hard/er and going for it. But there's a bit to lose because you're in a cluster of middle ranked teams.

Screenshot (295).png

With the middle/back end teams, your results are dictated by the adversity of those ahead. So overall results are not necessarily an indicator of how you're going. This is highlighted by Kyvat being the only guy from outside the top 3 to get a podium, and Kubica being ahead of Russell in the points, despite trailing 2-9 in the head to head with him.

But what the table shows is that Ricciardo hasn't picked up enough green squares, and that's on him. Sainz, Kyvat and Raikkonen are all considered to have had good seasons despite a 23pt discrepancy. Sainz and Raikkonen have 7 green square and Kyvat 5 with a podium. Ricciardo has 4.

But it didn't have to be 4. Ricciardo flopped at Australia, Azerbaijan and France. These missed opportunities are not Renault's fault. There were points paying positions available at all those races, which would've brought him up to the 7 green squares which would be comparable to having a good season like the other drivers. Both Sainz and Raikkonen have blocks of 3 & 4 consecutive points finishes. That's very good and that's the crap Ricciardo should be focussing on.

Outside the top teams, Ricciardo's 4th qualifying and 6th in the race at Canada is the single best performance. But it gets lost in amongst the howlers in Australia, Azerbaijan and France.

It's best he channels his inner "Frentzen 1999 season" to limit the possible damage to his reputation the inconsistent first half of the season could bring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

davis_756

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
I personally don't think it matters how he drives because if Ferrari/Mercedez weren't going to pick him up last year they never will, he saw red bull favouring max and his chances for a world title going out the window there so this is it, Renault come good or he never wins another race. Out of interests sake what do you actually think he should do differently? If he doesn't go for those overtakes in Baku and France he finishes lower and gets less green squares, outside of the lap 1 blunder in australia he actually hasn't made an real mistakes the car just hasn't been quick enough.

If we use Hulkenburg as the benchmark Renault have gone backwards this year despite adding 200 full time staff members, if I was him i'd be enjoying my millions and walking away in a couple of years time.

Black_White

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Collingwood
Correct re: Ferrari and Merc never going to pick him up.
That door is closed as they both look at generational change for any upcoming seats.
And I do agree that he has not performed to his or Renault’s expectations. The question is why? Is it because the car is so bad that he can’t get anything out of it? Or is it because he just can’t get the best out of any car that isn’t a front Runner?
Time will tell. Will we be looking back in a decades time calling him the man who did for Renault what Schumacher did for Mercedes?

DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
TBH, its gone exactly how I thought it would. Renault were never going to be near it this year, and I honestly dont believe they will be "fighting for wins in 2020-21" at all.

People that were comparing RIC's move to Renault with how HAM moved to MERC and expected RIC's move to have a similar outcome had rocks in their heads. For starters, MERC had actually at least won a race and were getting podiums etc before HAM made the giant call to move across. It obviously paid off in spades for HAM.

Renault need cars ahead of them to DNF for to even think about getting a top 6 finish and haven't looked near a podium since they were Lotus back in 2011-2012. I honestly can't see Renault improving much at all and not buying into their hype they will will somehow be super competitive with the new regulations.

At least RIC made bank, can't fault him for that!

imadodgyumpire

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
. Out of interests sake what do you actually think he should do differently? If he doesn't go for those overtakes in Baku and France he finishes lower and gets less green squares, outside of the lap 1 blunder in australia he actually hasn't made an real mistakes the car just hasn't been quick enough.
Don't get caught up in the red mist. Just be that fraction bit conservative and let everyone else melt around him.

Going off Hulkenberg, he'd have conservatively finished 8th-10th in Australia, 8th in Azerbaijan, and 8th in France. That's 9-12pts with 3 extra finishes, and all of a sudden that's a solid body of work, continuing on from what was a pretty good record from 14.

Ricciardo, for however good he is, is not entitled to a drive in a top team. And he's doesn't have a vibe like what Hamilton, Vettel and Verstappen have/had, where the sun shines out of their arse.

Ricciardo has made himself known as a top tier of F1 drivers, but he doesn't have much currency. I mean RB, for however big a deal they make their development program to be, didn't know he'd be as good as he was in 14.

Ricciardo is like a fringe test player who should be getting games, but isn't ahead of preferred options. He just has to keep scoring 100s and taking wickets. But he isn't doing that.

The mistakes in Azerbaijan and France weren't worth it. Those attempts may've been so for a win or podium, but not 7th.

You never know how the scene changes. Nobody thought Rosberg was going to retire for instance? Ricciardo has to make sure he's ready when/if an opportunity arrives and doesn't ruin his own reputation for no reason.

imadodgyumpire

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
And I do agree that he has not performed to his or Renault’s expectations. The question is why? Is it because the car is so bad that he can’t get anything out of it? Or is it because he just can’t get the best out of any car that isn’t a front Runner?
Trying too hard in a car that can't do it.

Like trying to hit 6s with bats they used in the 30s, as opposed to the railway sleepers they use now. He should just be knocking it around picking up 1s and 2s and putting away the bad ball.

Top Bottom