Retired Daniel Rich #2 (2008-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Qscan Injury Update: Green Light for Rich & Gardiner

Brisbane Lions defensive duo Daniel Rich and Darcy Gardiner are both available for selection ahead of the Club’s Round 5 clash against North Melbourne on Saturday.

Rich, who missed the last two matches due to a quad injury, looks set to travel to Adelaide for Gather Round as part of Chris Fagan’s 22.

The 32-year-old was best on ground for the Lions in their season opener and a solid contributor in his last outing in Round 2 against Melbourne.

”Rich also went for scans on Monday after he re-injured his hamstring while playing for the Lions in the VFL on Saturday.

The scans confirmed a hamstring strain for the defender who is set to be sidelined for up to four weeks.”

Sad day for Rich and all Lions fans. No fairytale end for Richie. One of the great Lions.

Rich: I Want to Be Ready if I'm Needed

Untitled-3.png

Brisbane veteran Daniel Rich says he has not made a decision on his playing future beyond this year but is prepared for life after footy when the time comes.

Rich has endured a rough 2023 and is still two weeks away from being considered for selection as he nurses a hamstring injury back to full strength.

With the Lions trying to lock in a top-two spot with a win over St Kilda on Saturday, the 33-year-old is realistic about his chances of earning a senior call-up this season, saying the team was winning and the defenders were doing everything right.

He said he hadn't yet thought about whether he would add to his 275 games in 2024 or not.

"We'll cross that bridge at the end of the year and have a chat," Rich said.

"I've always been a big one who's done stuff away from footy, so when that time comes it's a transition that's pretty smooth.

"I'm just a small piece of our footy club and I don't want to be any distraction when it comes to that side of things.

"There's a lot of thoughts but an exact decision has not been made yet.

"It's pretty black and white that I'm not getting any younger and that's the lay of the land.

"I don’t want to be a distraction. There's still plenty of time, the finals are a new season and I want to … be ready if I'm needed."

Rich was philosophical about his place in the pecking order, saying he'd love nothing more than watching his teammates lift a premiership cup without him if that's the way it panned out.

Now in his 15th season after being taken with the seventh pick of the 2008 AFL Draft, the West Australian said he still had the club very much at heart.

"To be honest I couldn't think of anything better," he said.

"I'm not going to let one season define me as a person or career. I'm still part of the team whether I'm out there or not.

"I love my teammates and I love the club, so I'd be the happiest man in the world if they were to win the Grand Final and I wasn't out there, it wouldn't change anything.

"I'd be so happy for the boys, for the footy club, for our fans if we were able to win, whether I'm out there or not."

Daniel Rich Announces Retirement

Richy_Retirement_Article_Header_v2.jpg

Brisbane Lions legend Daniel Rich has announced he will call time on his incredible 275-game career and retire at the end of the Club’s 2023 finals campaign.

Rich joined the Lions in 2008 after the Club took the highly touted Western Australian with pick seven in the national draft.

The 33-year-old has since forged a career as one of the game’s best defenders with a resume consisting of a Rising Star and AFLPA Best First Year Player award in 2009, All-Australian honours in 2021 and a Michael Tuck Medal in 2013.

It is no coincidence that after bringing Rich to the Club, the Lions have gone from bottom of the ladder to a team playing in their fifth consecutive finals campaign.

Rich made the announcement in front of his teammates and the entire Club at a special meeting on Monday afternoon.

“It’s been a pretty crazy journey with plenty of ups and downs, I have met so many amazing people and close friends who I appreciate so much, and I love this Club,” Rich said.

“I am proud to call myself a one club player and I am proud that I have been a small part in turning things around over the recent years at the Lions.”

Despite starting the 2023 AFL season as one of Brisbane best performed players in the opening rounds, Rich has played VFL in the second half of the year after battling injuries.

As the Lions prepare for a home Qualifying Final at The Gabba in pursuit of another crack at premiership glory, Rich is leaving the door ajar for a fairytale ending should it come.

However, the veteran is under no illusion he might not get an AFL recall and if that’s the case, Rich will be equally happy to see the Club he loves experience the ultimate success.

“It’s been a frustrating year that’s for sure, but it is what it is and all I can do is be the best teammate and person I can be to make the group and Club better in any way possible,” he said.

“There’s still plenty of time to go in this season, so I will work hard and be ready if needed, but if not, I will do my bit to support the boys and to be part of the story whether I am out there or not because this club means so much to me.

“I am super excited for the next chapter of my life. My wife and family have made so many sacrifices for me so quality time with them and supporting the kids as they grow up.

“I would love to stay involved with the Club and continue to grow the Lions both on and off the field. It’s easy to do something you love and have a passion for.”

Brisbane Lions CEO, Greg Swann, paid tribute to Rich following the veteran’s announcement.

“There’s no doubt that when people think of the Brisbane Lions, Daniel Rich is one of the main players they think of and that’s one of the best compliments you could have,” he said.

“Richy has had a career most players would envy, and he has given so much to the Brisbane Lions Football Club both on and off the field.

“He will always hold a special place at the Club, and we can’t thank him enough for his contribution.”

Lions General Manager Football, Danny Daly, echoed Swann’s comments and further praised Rich – a player he shares an extra tight bond with.

“It’s near impossible to find the words that give Richy the credit he deserves for what he has achieved individually and for what he has given to this Club,” he said.

“Richy is one of the most loyal people you will meet, he genuinely cares for those around him, and he is someone you can always share a laugh with.

“He will be dearly missed by everyone at the Club and including our fans, but we thank him sincerely for everyone and wish him and his family all the best in the next chapter.”

AFL champion Daniel Rich’s touching tribute to Bourke St victim

A brave survivor of the Bourke Street rampage is hoping to inspire his AFL team to premiership glory.

Paul Kadris is recovering from a fractured neck and multiple broken bones and his courage has earned the respect of the Brisbane Lions and his favourite player.

He had been to dinner with his brother at a ramen restaurant in the city and the pair were on their way to the footy when a Toyota sedan ploughed into pedestrians and two cars on Bourke St just after 6pm on Friday.

A 76-year-old old male driver was killed in the incident, while three pedestrians, including Kadris, were injured.

The courage of the diehard Lions fan and his ability to smile despite his injuries earned the respect of his favourite player Daniel Rich.

Rich, a Lions veteran of 275 games, was shown Kadris’ interview with 7NEWS Melbourne and immediately sent a message of support.

“G’day Paul, it’s Dan Rich here from the Brisbane Lions. I just wanted to pass on my best wishes for your recovery,” Rich said.

“I know you’ve been through a heck of a lot, but I really want to make sure you know how impressed and amazed I am with your attitude towards your recovery and moving forward.

“I know you’re a big Lions fan so thank you. Your support doesn’t go unnoticed. But more importantly, take care of yourself and hopefully we catch you there on grand final day.”

Kadris was airborne for 5-6 metres in collision.

Vets Rich, Lester endure pleasure, pain of Lions' rise

Daniel Rich wasn't shy in March when he pumped up the Brisbane Lions' title chances and imagined what it would be like to lift the AFL premiership cup alongside teammate Dayne Zorko.

"I'd love to be there one day, holding up the cup next to him with my arm around him," Rich said ahead of round one this year.

"I know that's thinking a long way ahead, but they're the thoughts that can run through the back of your mind."

That's why it "sucks" that he won't be in a position to realise that dream should the Lions beat Collingwood in Saturday's grand final.

Rich will retire with 275 games under his belt after 15 seasons at the club, the longest-standing Lion unable to regain his spot after a mid-season demotion to recapture form and fitness.

The defender, who burst onto the scene in 2009, had regained touch in the VFL before a hamstring injury ruined his comeback story.

He's again fully fit but couldn't find a way into a Brisbane defence that's been super-charged by the form of Conor McKenna, Darcy Wilmot and Keidean Coleman.

"It sucks, so disappointing, but one thing he's done since he went out of the team is put on a brave face and supported us the whole way," Zorko said of Rich.

"He wants the absolute best for the team.

"It's really unfortunate but there are always those stories in grand final week, and Collingwood have their own."

Daniel Rich a Noosa Tiger in 2024

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back