Retired Daniel Rich #2 (2008-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel Rich gets first crack at Brisbane Lions captaincy

Daniel Rich will take first turn in a rotating Brisbane Lions captaincy against North Melbourne on Sunday.

The captaincy will alternate between Rich and fellow vice-captain Dayne Zorko with captain Tom Rockliff to miss up to six weeks with broken ribs.

Rich opened his 2015 campaign in emphatic fashion in the Lions' first round loss to Collingwood, kicking two key goals in the side's final quarter surge.

How impressive does Richy look in one of the photo's Steele Tallon tweeted, of Daniel shaking hands with a soldier.

Woww!! He has a presence about him, and an appearance not to be forgotten. Very impressive.

The face of a (the) Lion!

Team of the week: round seven

DANIEL RICH (Brisbane Lions)- Set up a number of goals for his teammates with his dangerous ball use and booted one himself in a strong outing against the Power. Won 14 of his 23 touches in the contest and had a team-high eight inside 50s.

Player Reviews: Part Two

After an ACL injury ruined his 2014 season, Daniel Rich was out to impress in 2015. As an integral part of the team’s defence group, the West Australian demonstrated moments of great skill and flair, but also struggled with consistency across the 21 games he played for the season. In his return game in Round One, Rich booted two goals and had 29 possessions in the Lions’ 12-point loss to the Pies. Fully recovered from injury, Rich (along with Brisbane Lions supporters) will be aiming to produce strong results in his eighth season at the Club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a undoubtedly a disappointing year for Richy overall in 2015, however, as several posters have pointed out throughout the year, players tend to struggle their first year coming back from an ACL and Richy will hopefully head into season 2016 with a full season and two full pre seasons under his belt. This should have him primed for a big 2016 and if he can start to capture some consistent form the competition should be placed on alert because his left foot can do some serious damage:thumbsu:

Daniel Rich says 2015 season with Brisbane Lions was disappointing, vows to improve

“In terms of my own personal standards, it was a disappointing year,’’ Rich said.

“I wasn’t able to get any sort of consistency in my game. It was a bit of everything really.

“I didn’t know what to expect coming off my knee.

“I know most guys struggle a little bit after they get a reco but as a whole I wasn’t happy with how I played.

“But on the positive side, I was able to get some confidence back in my knee by playing every game bar one and I learned to play a new position so it was a year that was tough but I learned a lot.’

“I’ve been doing most of my training with the midfield group so that’s the plan in the short-term. It’s good to have that versatility to drop back to halfback but I’m looking forward to getting back in the midfield.’’

Interesting that Richy has mentioned he is training with the midfield group. I wonder if his game against the Bulldogs in the last game of season 2015 in which he spent time in the midfield and set up several goals showed the coaches that he is best utilised as an attacking midfielder setting up the forwards.

Also interesting that Rich mentioned he had a poor season due to having no confidence in his knee, yet he had arguably his best stretch of 5-6 games at the very start of the year.

I've heard he had got a bit lazy with match preparations, recovery and such and started to cut corners during training drills (mind you he was not the only one). Hopefully he can come out firing again in 2k16 and become the leader he needs to be. Would be awesome for Richy to play some finals again.

Also interesting that Rich mentioned he had a poor season due to having no confidence in his knee, yet he had arguably his best stretch of 5-6 games at the very start of the year.

I've heard he had got a bit lazy with match preparations, recovery and such and started to cut corners during training drills (mind you he was not the only one). Hopefully he can come out firing again in 2k16 and become the leader he needs to be. Would be awesome for Richy to play some finals again.
Agree with your first para. Early in the season he looked to be showing us that he could become a complete footballer. Leadership and hard running back into defensive space as well as that clean hands and potent kicking. No insight in this article about what happened.

Great to read that he seems committed to the Lions and continuing to improve.

Agree with your first para. Early in the season he looked to be showing us that he could become a complete footballer. Leadership and hard running back into defensive space as well as that clean hands and potent kicking. No insight in this article about what happened.

Great to read that he seems committed to the Lions and continuing to improve.
I'd say that what has happened is the advent of Beames,Bastinac,Robinson,Robertson,Christenson, Keays,Cutler,and the other midfielders demanding a place ahead of him....Rocky, Hanley, Zorko,Taylor,etc.

Its hot !!

richy has that dreaded word "potential", to be a top 10 mid or so in the comp. he is right in his prime the next few years. i hope damian austin is really pumping the miles into his legs, the only thing holding him back from this potential is consistency in games and season as a whole, elite fitness will fix this i hope.

richy has that dreaded word "potential", to be a top 10 mid or so in the comp. he is right in his prime the next few years. i hope damian austin is really pumping the miles into his legs, the only thing holding him back from this potential is consistency in games and season as a whole, elite fitness will fix this i hope.

Not having anyone in the back half probably didn't help his cause. Nor the ACL.

But at 25, excuse / reason time is over for Daniel Rich. Stick him in the guts and let his left foot dictate the game. At worst he gets tagged some games and only has 6-10 kicks; at least they will more than likely be going inside 50 or setting up plays. This will also allow Beams, Hanley, Zorko, Christensen and Rocky to get a little more free.

At his best, he could be the most damaging medium possession midfielder in the game :thumbsu:

Hope Leppa uses him in the guts a lot in 2016.

Not having anyone in the back half probably didn't help his cause. Nor the ACL.

But at 25, excuse / reason time is over for Daniel Rich. Stick him in the guts and let his left foot dictate the game. At worst he gets tagged some games and only has 6-10 kicks; at least they will more than likely be going inside 50 or setting up plays. This will also allow Beams, Hanley, Zorko, Christensen and Rocky to get a little more free.

At his best, he could be the most damaging medium possession midfielder in the game :thumbsu:

Hope Leppa uses him in the guts a lot in 2016.
agree. didn't think to post it before but as you alluded to, not being able to break a hard tag is a big deficiency in his game. seems to drop his head when it happens. his kicking game reminds me a lot of josh drummond, absolutely elite when on but they both don't/didn't do it enough.

agree. didn't think to post it before but as you alluded to, not being able to break a hard tag is a big deficiency in his game. seems to drop his head when it happens. his kicking game reminds me a lot of josh drummond, absolutely elite when on but they both don't/didn't do it enough.

Considering on average each player gets 1 rest per quarter - it may be harder for taggers from now on. They'll need to be super switched on to really remove a player from a game.

Moving Rich into the onball rotations alongside Hanley, Beams and Rockliff may actually make him less of a target for a tag.

I think he's still the most dangerous of that lot if left alone. But if Beams, Rocky, Hanley and Zorko stay fit alongside Rich then he should atleast have some more support. Will probably still cop the tag but at least he should have the support and added bonus of being able to rotate down back to beat them more often than not now. That and second year back from that ACL. I'm expecting a pretty big year from him. We always play better when he is on song.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back