Retired Daniel Rich #2 (2008-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Where will they line up in 2016?

2016 could signal a move back to the midfield for Vice-Captain Daniel Rich.

Rich averaged almost 20 touches a game but lacked zip and his normal game-changing, line-breaking impact in his role off the halfback flank last season.

The West Australian reported back to pre-season training ahead of schedule for a handful of sessions with the club’s young brigade after completing his first triathlon during his break. The hard yards over summer will come in handy as Rich eyes a spot in the Brisbane midfield.

HUN website now:

Daniel Rich to become a Lion for Life....the Lions have been presented with a contract from his management for a multi million dollar deal to see him finish his career as a Lion . The club is to go over it.

Me:

....because he's worth it.:hearts:
Yes!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
On that, I have very reliably been told that he is firing on all cylinders and seems to be over any issues he had with his knee, just needs a hair cut....to which i said NO!!:p

I love Richy but his consistent inconsistency doesn't make him close to a "keep at any cost" player. Hopefully his management aren't taking the piss with their "multi-million dollar deal".
Multi million could mean 2.5 over 5 years. In which case where do i sign

Multi million could mean 2.5 over 5 years. In which case where do i sign

Yeah 500k-600k a year is about his value I'd reckon. Despite my previous post, getting him signed early would be huge. He was our big juicy free agent for 2016. Will be nice to go into a trade period not feeling like the vultures are swarming.

I still get giddy every time he shapes onto his left. Would be gutted to see him elsewhere.

I'm getting all mushy, I know....players come and go but every now and then a couple come along that you really take to heart. ...atm we have quite a few, and imo that hasn't happened since flag days..

For me the ones I would seriously be gutted for if they left are Richy, Hanley, 'lil Lewy. There's some others, but they are my stand-outs.

In fact this is the first time, I've felt completely at ease with the list we have. It has come together at long last.

Love them all really.

Yeah 500k-600k a year is about his value I'd reckon. Despite my previous post, getting him signed early would be huge. He was our big juicy free agent for 2016. Will be nice to go into a trade period not feeling like the vultures are swarming.

I still get giddy every time he shapes onto his left. Would be gutted to see him elsewhere.
Would be great to sign him early. That left is a real cannon

He's the type of player that can win you a final with 10 mins of footy. There aren't many of those types in the AFL :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such a talented player and arguably our best player in full flight but needs to produce his best footy on a more consistent basis this year. As a vice-captain, one of our best players and one of our highest paid he needs to step up. I'll back him in to do so.

NAB Challenge: 5 things we learned from GWS Giants win over Brisbane Lions

DANIEL Rich belongs in the midfield. The Lions have used him across half back a lot in recent years but they suffer from the penetration he offers. Rich was the Lions’ best clearance player and also their leading possession getter. When he gets the footy the Lions look more attacking. He booted a supergoal and had a hand in another couple of Lions scoring chains.

Vero Coaches Wrap: Daniel's Rich Performance

“Obviously, last year coming off a knee reconstruction - Richy had 28 possessions for the game 16 of those contested, he also had 10 inside 50s and 10 score involvements.

“He’s been training in the midfield throughout the whole pre-season. He’ll probably play 90% of his time through the midfield.

“He actually had five centre bounce clearances for the game. His ability to read the play; we all know he has a beautiful kick on him, and his ability to work through the lines as a midfielder and get that ball into our forwards is going to be crucial for us in 2016.”

Brisbane Lions midfielder Daniel Rich says new contract vindicates confidence in the club’s direction

BRISBANE ball-winner Daniel Rich insists the Lions are ready to roar. Rich, who is set to resist the lure of free agency and pen a long-term contract, is bullish about Brisbane’s prospects in 2016 and beyond. “It’s not only me but a lot of other guys see the club at an exciting stage,” Rich told Fox Sports News 500. “We are in a position where we can grow and grow. We are a young side with a lot of exciting players and I just want to be part of that. “It (the contract) is in the final stages of negotiation. I think it will be done sooner rather than later.”

The 2009 Rising Star winner has played 122 games for the club since arriving in November 2008. And even though Perth will always be home, Rich relishes the Queensland lifestyle. “I’ve fitted in here really well,” he said. “There a lot of good things about it. I love the beaches, the golf courses, and obviously the weather is pretty good as well. I can’t complain too much.”

Earlier this month, Dayne Zorko signed a four year deal that will keep the 27-year-old at the Lions until the end of 2020. Although Zorko’s decision to stay had no impact on Rich’s contract negotiations, the left-footer nevertheless believes it further vindicates the club’s bright future.

“It doesn’t really change my decision either way but obviously he (Zorko) is a really quality player and a great person as well,” he said. “To have those types of players commit to the club longer term is fantastic. It’s just another positive addition and I’m hoping to join them.” Rich also credited Lions coach Justin Leppitsch, who he insisted will be better for the tough times the club has endured in recent years. “He’s been fantastic to come in and be really good for the young boys,” he said. “He’s really understanding of the way people go about things and the way a footballer acts and reacts. He’s on a little journey as well. “He’s had some tough times with a team that is not performing too well. He knows, like us, that it’s not too far around the corner. He’s done all he can as a coach to get us back on the right path and push us back in the right direction. “The club is in very good hands … we are all building together.”

Richy Excited During Contract Negotiations

Brisbane Lions Vice-Captain Daniel Rich has spoken of the positive shift within the club which has spurred on a recent increase of contract re-signings. The off-season saw the Lions re-sign 10 players including Vice-Captain’s Dayne Zorko and Pearce Hanley as well as Stefan Martin, Mitch Robinson, Marco Paparone, Harris Andrews, Ryan Harwood, Jaden McGrath, Rohan Bewick and Josh Clayton.

Coming off a knee reconstruction last year, Rich has shown a strong return to footy and at just 25, still has his best footy ahead of him. He kicked off his 2016 campaign recording 28 possessions (16 contested), 10 inside 50s and 10 score involvements in the Lions final NAB Challenge clash against the GWS Giants last week.

“I learnt a lot of things in my year off. I got to take a step back from the game and do a bit of coaching and look at the game in a different light.” “I was lucky that it was a contact injury so I don’t have it in the back of my head that might happen again due to changing direction or jump and land. “I don’t feel 25 around the young boys at the club, we have a lot of young boys so I feel like a bit of a veteran - I’m excited that my best footy is ahead of me and I’m looking forward to producing that over the next few years that’s for sure.” "I think the Club's in very good hands and as I mentioned before, I just want to be a part of it. A great list of young guys and we’re all building together, so we’re excited,” said Rich.

Daniel rich signs on
"Brisbane paid too much for a B grade player. He won't win anything ever"

Daniel rich leaves Brisbane
"Brisbane are a rabble, can't even get a vice captain to resign, they are a joke"

Afl fans logic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back