Recommitted Daniel Rioli [re-signed for 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd take him at the pies. desperate for a small forward and would be one of the better options out there, plus fits our age profile.

Is it injury or just coming back to the pack? I'd take him at the Hawks. Whenever I've seen him play he seems to play outside mid is that right?

talk about his great pressure but official 2021 stats show 'pressure acts' are average for small forwards

Cripps 22.5
Butler 21.6
Rankine 16
Close 16
Schulz 15.1

Rioli 14.3

Bobby Hill 13.9
Rowe 13.6
Betts 12.9
Papley 12.8
Charlie Cameron 8.5

Richmond is the best team in the comp to play as a small forward. If he is struggling there he isn't coming good anywhere else.
He has great skills though. Would he be worth a go at half back?

Richmond is the best team in the comp to play as a small forward. If he is struggling there he isn't coming good anywhere else.
Disagree. We're probably the hardest team in the league to play as a small forward. Have you seen how hard our small forwards have to work with their chasing and pressure game so that blokes like Dusty can play their natural game.

If you have watched what the small forwards have to do at Richmond ( all of unrewarded running up and down the ground and covering space , Tackling like crazy and chasing players you most likely wont catch before they get rid of the ball ) Its not an easy game to play and very little reward or recognition

Playing small forward for a team like West Coast / Geelong / Melbourne / Bulldogs etc would be so much easier as you would be that little goal sneak that just roves the packs and hunts opportunity with not so much defending.

I know which role i would rather play

If you have watched what the small forwards have to do at Richmond ( all of unrewarded running up and down the ground and covering space , Tackling like crazy and chasing players you most likely wont catch before they get rid of the ball ) Its not an easy game to play and very little reward or recognition

Playing small forward for a team like West Coast / Geelong / Melbourne / Bulldogs etc would be so much easier as you would be that little goal sneak that just roves the packs and hunts opportunity with not so much defending.

Rioli defensive stats are worse than the small forwards from those clubs you mentioned

kozzie picket 21 pressure acts, 4 tackles, 1.8 tackles inside 50
Jamie cripps 22 pressure acts, 4 tackles, 1.5 tackle inside 50
Brad close 16 pressure acts, 3 tackles, 1.8 tackles inside 50
Rioli 14 pressure acts, 3 tackles, 0.9 tackles inside 50

Rioli actually puts on the least defensive pressure

Stats do not back up what you say at all

didn’t include the dogs as not sure who been playing ‘small forward’ for them this year McNeil and Scott?? But they’re first year players

Rioli defensive stats are worse than the small forwards from those clubs you mentioned

didn’t include the dogs as not sure who been playing ‘small forward’ for them this year McNeil and Scott?? But they’re first year players

Stats don't tell you everything.

Best judge of a player's contribution to a team would be the coaches, particular the successful ones, and the guy who has coaches 3 of the last 4 flags continually rates him very highly and he does OK in the club B&F (usually ending up ~10-15th).

He's not a 'star', but he's clearly considered an important contributor, on and off field.

Stats don't tell you everything.

Best judge of a player's contribution to a team would be the coaches, particular the successful ones, and the guy who has coaches 3 of the last 4 flags continually rates him very highly and he does OK in the club B&F (usually ending up ~10-15th).

He's not a 'star', but he's clearly considered an important contributor, on and off field.
Yeah, I agree.

I'm sure West Coast, Melbourne, Geelong would say the same about their small forwards too.

The comment from THE_GUN was it is much easier to play small forward in other forward lines, you don't have to defend at all, you just crumb packs and kick goals. Stats are completely contra to the concept

Yeah, I agree.

I'm sure West Coast, Melbourne, Geelong would say the same about their small forwards too.

The comment from THE_GUN was it is much easier to play small forward in other forward lines, you don't have to defend at all, you just crumb packs and kick goals. Stats are completely contra to the concept

Do you really think the stats accurately show things like 'pressure acts'?

The Richmond game is noted for it's pressure, especially forward pressure.

Yet Richmond forwards seem relatively low in such stats against other teams.

The obviously explanation for this is that the stats miss a lot of things that count in reality.

talk about his great pressure but official 2021 stats show 'pressure acts' are average for small forwards

Cripps 22.5
Butler 21.6
Rankine 16
Close 16
Schulz 15.1

Rioli 14.3

Bobby Hill 13.9
Rowe 13.6
Betts 12.9
Papley 12.8
Charlie Cameron 8.5
Honestly surprised Charlie is so low.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can he play midfield ? Or his he stuck as a small forward?

I agree Rich expectations would be differnt... although I think the ability cover ground is very important to the MC at geelong. I look at Miers for example, a key reason for him getting games is his ability to run. Talented...what would Rich expect for him. OOC.. probably forces hand a bit. Maybe used as part of the deal to get Cerra?

can he play midfield ? Or his he stuck as a small forward?

I agree Rich expectations would be differnt... although I think the ability cover ground is very important to the MC at geelong. I look at Miers for example, a key reason for him getting games is his ability to run. Talented...what would Rich expect for him. OOC.. probably forces hand a bit. Maybe used as part of the deal to get Cerra?
Dont really know about his midfield ability as we have never seen him played in there

Doesnt appear to have inside ball winning traits but i imagine he would be able to play outside , I would like to see him moved to play the lambert role once kane is finished or similar to Brad Hill (prior to St Kilda). I could see him in this position with a pre season training and learning

What he is worth : Who know thats a million dollar question , I suppose he is worth more to a team that needs his traits than he is to a team that doesnt play that game style but he will become a restricted free agent next year so his worth is probably what the market pays him and the compo attached to that but if i was to pull a pick out of my hat #30 - #35

As others have mentioned stats dont tell every story

I have watched Daniel Rioli make 5-6-7 440-50 mtr runs to close off space so the opposition 'DONT' use that player on that side of the ground or run to create an alternative to drag the defender to him so his team mate has space to run through etc.

But Rioli is a very different player to your average small foward and its really the way we play
Who would put Rioli , Castagna , Aarts in the best 5 small fowards in the game ? Dont think anybody would but they are the most effective for what we need
and its been successful

Disagree. We're probably the hardest team in the league to play as a small forward. Have you seen how hard our small forwards have to work with their chasing and pressure game so that blokes like Dusty can play their natural game.
I agree that Richmond require their small forwards to run more than most and this doesn't suit Rioli.
But the ball goes into the Richmond forward line a lot and comes in fast, regularly hits the ground with space to work in. It is a small forward's dream.
Compare this to a bottom team like North, where it goes in seldom, slow and is bombed to a pack of a dozen players.

Do you really think the stats accurately show things like 'pressure acts'?

The Richmond game is noted for it's pressure, especially forward pressure.

Yet Richmond forwards seem relatively low in such stats against other teams.

The obviously explanation for this is that the stats miss a lot of things that count in reality.
Obviously what a 'pressure act' is is hard to define, particularly in real time.

Ignoring Richmond for 2 seconds, it seems like thee small forwards on these other teams still provide a lot of defensive pressure. They all record significantly higher i50 tackles which is a very clear unambiguous indication of 'pressuree'

As others have mentioned stats dont tell every story

I have watched Daniel Rioli make 5-6-7 440-50 mtr runs to close off space so the opposition 'DONT' use that player on that side of the ground or run to create an alternative to drag the defender to him so his team mate has space to run through etc.

But Rioli is a very different player to your average small foward and its really the way we play
Who would put Rioli , Castagna , Aarts in the best 5 small fowards in the game ? Dont think anybody would but they are the most effective for what we need
and its been successful
Yeah, they can be a good fit for your game style, completely agree.

I just checked the Telstra Tracker on AFL app for a handful of Richmond games this year.
Only thing that was really consistent was Richmond usually has a higher 'average speed' in attack but a lower 'average speed' in defence than their opposition. Make of that what you will.

Number of sprint efforts / repeat sprint efforts seemed variable but Richmond's best performers were usually Pickett, Lambert, Graham, Broad.

I agree that Richmond require their small forwards to run more than most and this doesn't suit Rioli.
That's the thing, it DOES suit Rioli as he came to the club with both elite speed and endurance. Part of the whole design of our gameplan was to utilise this running capacity of Rioli and others to close off the ground to the opposition with massive running efforts. Kamdyn McIntosh is exactly the same.
The players rarely get massive disposal numbers or stats playing this role, but it's a key part of the game plan.

That's the thing, it DOES suit Rioli as he came to the club with both elite speed and endurance. Part of the whole design of our gameplan was to utilise this running capacity of Rioli and others to close off the ground to the opposition with massive running efforts. Kamdyn McIntosh is exactly the same.
The players rarely get massive disposal numbers or stats playing this role, but it's a key part of the game plan.
Well he's 24 now, and producing the same numbers he did at 18, when he was being picked on potential and the odd beautiful cameo. Currently outside the.best 22 and his club have just picked up Matt Parker in the MSD.
Time to pull the finger out.

Well he's 24 now, and producing the same numbers he did at 18, when he was being picked on potential and the odd beautiful cameo. Currently outside the.best 22 and his club have just picked up Matt Parker in the MSD.
Time to pull the finger out.
Pressure coming from both Parker and MRJ. This can only be a good thing.

For me a small forward should be able to play a role.

Whether it is to kick goals, lock the ball in the forward 50, or negate an opposition rebounder, or a combo of these.

I’m not 100% sure Rioli plays any of these roles consistently well. But the coach insists he plays a vital role to the success of the side. He runs hard and covers a hell of a lot of ground. Yet his possession and goal numbers are low.

I’m keen to know exactly what his role is.

Already a premiership player so could move on for money or other reasons.

Back home to Eagles or Freo.
Hawks to play in the team Ciril became a hero in.
Carlton to learn under Betts.
North for money.

Already a premiership player so could move on for money or other reasons.

Back home to Eagles or Freo.
Hawks to play in the team Ciril became a hero in.
Carlton to learn under Betts.
North for money.

He is from the Tiwi islands and not WA
Why would he want to play where Cyril was a hero ?
Betts will be retired and at 25 years of age dont think that has much appeal

North for money makes the most sense

Remove this Banner Ad

Back