Daniel Stewart talks about his depression

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who think players are just fair game for relentless bollocking take a deep breath and read this account of how Daniel Stewart's life unravelled after his delisting.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-up-about-his-depression-20160708-gq1vod.html
Three months after being discarded by Port Adelaide, Daniel Stewart was suicidal.
His shoulder and hip wrecked by the rigours of five years in the AFL system, he returned from a post-season trip to the USA with nothing to distract himself from his sense of loss. Recovering from surgeries, he was stuck at home, as depression ate away at his core.
"I felt like I had nothing. I lost my footy career ... I couldn't get a job, I broke up with my girlfriend," Stewart recalls.
"That's when everything went really downhill."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-up-about-his-depression-20160708-gq1vod.html

It's becoming a more evident illness with people today, as many of us are parents it's good to know the warning signs of depression. It can inflict any of us at any time. I really feel for Daniel and his family, it's not an easy road and i wish him well for the future.

It's always interesting to hear about the other side of the coin - and it's hard not to feel for these blokes that suffer in the football industry.

I have to say, I feel like the clubs are getting better and better at dealing with the fallout of a very stressful industry. There is always going to be collateral damage in such a competitive environment, and the more that the clubs can help the players once they have finished with their football - the better.

Glad to hear that it's all heading in the right direction for him.

Far out sounds like he really got stuck in the maze there for a while. Glad to hear he's on the up and "doesn't give a f@#k about what people think" anymore!

I think it's interesting how he seemed quite accepting of his delisting at first but then it really hit him hard afterwards. The transition away from club life must be tough. Players go from being constantly surrounded by mates/mentors to being completely isolated, especially if they don't have another branch to hold on to like in Daniel's case.

It reminds me of how people describe being released from prison.

It would be tough life after football, the lifestyle is worlds apart.

You know not to make this situation how to put it ...less noteworthy, some players should feel lucky they have an AFL contract and make the most of it because once its over, the school of hard knocks kicks in.

Best of luck to Stewart.

This is devastating to read for Snowy.

He had all the key on-field attibutes of a footballer who looked like they would make it in the system.

Can imagine there are countless others whom get delisted and exit the game in an unspeakable state of mental pain coupled with feelings of being a failure with no support to turn to.

As this article proves you can be one of the best modern day footballers and still feel bad about yourself on the inside when you step away from it all:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/scott-wests-booze-battle/story-e6frf9mf-1225715018972

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what is it with today's lifestyles that create a breeding ground for depression? Depression has been around since day dot but I do feel depression and anxiety is a bigger issue today than ever before.

what is it with today's lifestyles that create a breeding ground for depression? Depression has been around since day dot but I do feel depression and anxiety is a bigger issue today than ever before.
Not really.. it's always been prevalent. The stigma has died down a little, there's increased awareness and people are more forthcoming to discuss it. All the best to snowy I'm sure he's got plenty of support. That is key.

Too many distractions in my opinion. We live in the age of information and its relentless, coming from all angles. It's important to switch off once in a while.

I feel like the issue is as prevalent as its always been, but was reported less and/or the symptoms were attributed to other illnesses, misdiagnosed etc. As psychology progresses it wouldn't surprise me if we start to see different 'strands' of depression that are deeper than the diagnosis we see now.

Good on him. I think some people surrounding the game need to understand that it is just a game and that the players are actually human. The amount of abuse you see on social media is horrendous.

I feel like the issue is as prevalent as its always been, but was reported less and/or the symptoms were attributed to other illnesses, misdiagnosed etc. As psychology progresses it wouldn't surprise me if we start to see different 'strands' of depression that are deeper than the diagnosis we see now.

Good on him. I think some people surrounding the game need to understand that it is just a game and that the players are actually human. The amount of abuse you see on social media is horrendous.

yep

the more people talk about the issue, the more others (including myself) will understand. the better we are at understanding the warning signs, the more confident we are abut reaching out for help, the better we are equipped to help..................the better it is for everyone

yep

the more people talk about the issue, the more others (including myself) will understand. the better we are at understanding the warning signs, the more confident we are abut reaching out for help, the better we are equipped to help..................the better it is for everyone

Reminds us that we're still in an age that clings onto stigmas and belief systems dating back to early civilisation. At least we're making progress on having meaningful dialogue on issues while we chisel away at ignorance born from a number of millennia of inherited ignorance.

It still goes to show that all the money and support staff in the world won't make a player. We expect kids to become perfect role models. At times we can think it's our right to criticise them until no end, because this is the lifestyle they chose. Cheers for the article, a sobering reminder that we're all flawed human beings to some degree. All the best Daniel!

I wonder whether Polec needs to be given a bit of time to regroup. Or at least a bit of slack from our fans.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
This.

I remember the look on his face after the 2014 prelim vs the Hawks. He looked like the only thing he wanted was to improve and be the player that took us the next step. He started 2015 like he was on track until his injury happened and he doesn't seem to have fully recovered. Maybe there is a painful reality us supporters have no idea about.

I don't know anything about John Butcher's mental fortitude, but if there was ever a guy to keep an eye on post AFL career, which might be as soon as 2 months away, it would be him.

He would have heard more s**t than just about any bloke that has ever laced up a boot in AFL era SA.

I reckon the club would be well aware of that as would his team mates that run around with him and hear it.

Support networks would be in place you would hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back