Retired Daniel Talia [retired]

Remove this Banner Ad

He's an UFA, he's not being traded unless the destination club didn't want to hurt their FA compo pick.
The AFL article says delisted, but you're right – he won't be delisted until the list lodgement dates in October. Until then he's still eligible as a UFA.

So his current choices are:
  • Unrestricted Free Agency – This is the earliest opportunity to move, with the free agency period opening before the trade period. Choose a club and sign with them, Adelaide gets no say in it, but may receive compensation depending on the contract and fancy formula. Isaac Smith netted Hawthorn a Band 5 pick as a 31 year old last year, for example. There are more examples here and the formula breakdown is here.
  • Trade – Choose a club, Adelaide and chosen club negotiate a deal, etc. As you said, only likely if the destination club are getting a compo pick and don't want to lose it, otherwise they'll just move him via UFA.
  • Delisted Free Agency – After the trade period, before the draft, there are two windows for DFAs to move (one after each list lodgement date). I think there's a third window after the draft as well. No compensation for Adelaide through that process.
  • Draft – He can theoretically nominate for the draft, but why the heck would he want to do that? Zero benefit for anyone involved.
  • Supplemental Selection Period – last ditch option if no one wants him straight away on their senior list. This will put him on a rookie list sometime over the summer.

When I Crow Up

Senior List
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/09/22/essendon-very-interested-in-all-australian-adelaide-defender/

Essendon coach Ben Rutten’s links to Adelaide could see Crows defender Daniel Talia land at the club during the upcoming trade period, according to SEN SA’s Michelangelo Rucci.

The 28-year-old defender becomes a restricted free agent at the end of next season but Rutten, who played with Talia between 2011 and 2014 at Adelaide, is reportedly making a play to secure his services.

Rucci said if Essendon offered Talia a longer-term deal, it would be a tough proposition to knock back.

“Ben Rutten is very, very interested in getting Daniel Talia out of the (Adelaide) football club,” he said on SEN SA Drive.

“He’s contracted for next year … but he’s a professional footballer. I’m hearing Rutten is keen on him.

Doubt this will happen but wonder what he'd be worth on the table. Butts is coming along nicely and I'd have him filling Hartigan's position, but if we lost Talia would we keep Hartigan then?

This would be the biggest WTF ever in trade week I think. Why would Essendon top up?
Completely agree, but maybe there's more to the story about Hurley and Hooker wanting out and they're shopping for a replacement. Doesn't seem to fit their age profile though, I'd have thought someone like St Kilda would be a better fit (not that I want to lose him).

Maybe they expect Fantasia to head back to SA, while also expecting Hooker to leave a hole in defence?
They'd be wanting to be offering up a whole lot more for an AA defender with very little injury history. I'd have thought the best bombers could hope for is just to get Fantasia off their books, maybe a very late pick if they're lucky given his injury history and minimal game impact the last couple of years.

They'd be wanting to be offering up a whole lot more for an AA defender with very little injury history. I'd have thought the best bombers could hope for is just to get Fantasia off their books, maybe a very late pick if they're lucky given his injury history and minimal game impact the last couple of years.
Of course pick swaps can be part of it. But how old is Talia? He turns 29 next week.

Of course pick swaps can be part of it. But how old is Talia? He turns 29 next week.
Yeah that's why I don't see him fitting bombers given where their list is at. Surely at his age if he's going to leave he'd be wanting to be go to a side that's going to be challenging for a premiership, that's why I think St Kilda is a good fit

If he is interested in leaving, I'd be keen for him at the Saints. Seems like Carlisle is out the door so we'll need another KPD. What do Crows fans think he'd cost, picks wise?

If he is interested in leaving, I'd be keen for him at the Saints. Seems like Carlisle is out the door so we'll need another KPD. What do Crows fans think he'd cost, picks wise?
If he wants to leave I expect the crows would facilitate it and wouldn't expect the world in exchange. A second rounder is probably about right I think or a young/developing player such as Aaron Francis (if it were to the bombers).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant see him leaving but you never know..

Remember reading an interview with him not long ago where he said he and his wife are very happy and settled in adelaide, have business interests blah, blah, blah..

could only see him going to essendon if they put a pretty big deal on the table.. given that he’s on $700k + a season at the crows and still contracted next year at that price. He’s not exactly gonna leave next years $700k or more on the table and not expect it and more back is he..

If they offered him a 4 year deal.. they’d have to match or better that $700k or so and give it to him for the first two of years of that 4 before dropping it back in the last two years to even make it worth his while..

Afterall.. why would he go to Essendon for less money?.. make absolutely no sense.

as he is contracted.. the crows will probably ask for something of decent value back too.. cant pay a bloke that much and then say he’s worthless at the trade table.. what have the dons got to offer?

so given all of that... the other question is why would essendon, given their current predicament and not being contenders even bother bringing him in?.. surely it cant be just cause he’s mates with Truck?

Cant see him leaving but you never know..

Remember reading an interview with him not long ago where he said he and his wife are very happy and settled in adelaide, have business interests blah, blah, blah..

could only see him going to essendon if they put a pretty big deal on the table.. given that he’s on $700k + a season at the crows and still contracted next year at that price. He’s not exactly gonna leave next years $700k or more on the table and not expect it and more back is he..

If they offered him a 4 year deal.. they’d have to match or better that $700k or so and give it to him for the first two of years of that 4 before dropping it back in the last two years to even make it worth his while..

Afterall.. why would he go to Essendon for less money?.. make absolutely no sense.

as he is contracted.. the crows will probably ask for something of decent value back too.. cant pay a bloke that much and then say he’s worthless at the trade table.. what have the dons got to offer?

so given all of that... the other question is why would essendon, given their current predicament and not being contenders even bother bringing him in?.. surely it cant be just cause he’s mates with Truck?

Could probably give you Fantasia as steak knives

Could probably give you Fantasia as steak knives
I just cant see why the crows in the position they find themselves would need Fantasia..

plus they have stengle, Mcadam, murphy, jones, McHenry as small forward/mid types and an NGA propsect in Newchurch coming in this year..

where’s the need for Fantasia?..

We need elite fulltime mids and tall forwards.

I cant see Talia leaving.

Not because of any other reason than the fact that he's played through an ongoing groin injury for a few years now and is 30+
What club would be looking at that?

Adelaide know what he can and cant do, are well versed in his recovery procedures etc. I think it would be daft for both parties to have DT leave.

hes prob only got 1 year left in him.

Not because of any other reason than the fact that he's played through an ongoing groin injury for a few years now and is 30+

Adelaide know what he can and cant do, are well versed in his recovery procedures etc. I think it would be daft for both parties to have DT leave.

He's actually only 28 (soon 29), it shocked me too would've guessed 31.

Doesn't make sense though, if I'm Essendon I don't want Talia and if I'm Talia I'd only leave for a club in contention.

He’s 28 and has missed bugger all games over his career?..

30+ and had groin issues?

You talking about the same player the thread title is about?..

Highly valued member of the crows defense..rarely gets beaten.. a team leader. Twice AA and... Still contracted next year.

crows would want more than a second rounder given this years draft is so compromised and full of massive unknowns..

a second rounder this year is junk... and the crows already look to have three of them.. their own at 20, 21 for Atkins if all reports are correct and Bulldogs second..

maybe a future second in next years draft which is less compromised and looking likely to be a great one?..

He’s 28 and has missed bugger all games over his career?..

30+ and had groin issues?

You talking about the same player the thread title is about?..

Highly valued member of the crows defense..rarely gets beaten.. a team leader. Twice AA and... Still contracted next year.

crows would want more than a second rounder given this years draft is so compromised and full of massive unknowns..

a second rounder this year is junk... and the crows already look to have three of them.. their own at 20, 21 for Atkins if all reports are correct and Bulldogs second..

maybe a future second in next years draft which is less compromised and looking likely to be a great one?..
I think it depends if Talia wants to go and why. I don't want to lose him but at the same time he's coming to the twilight of his career and he won't be challenging for a premiership with the crows again. If he asks the club to let him go to a contender so he can have a crack before it's too late, I think the crows will get it done without too much fuss. If it's a money thing, which it likely would be with essendon, the crows should and likely would ask for more than a second in exchange.

He's done the right thing by the club for the last 11 years, the crows will do the right thing by him.

I think it depends if Talia wants to go and why. I don't want to lose him but at the same time he's coming to the twilight of his career and he won't be challenging for a premiership with the crows again. If he asks the club to let him go to a contender so he can have a crack before it's too late, I think the crows will get it done without too much fuss. If it's a money thing, which it likely would be with essendon, the crows should and likely would ask for more than a second in exchange.

He's done the right thing by the club for the last 11 years, the crows will do the right thing by him.
I don't think he wants to leave, it would be that Rutten is offering him a 4 year deal as a 28yo.

I don't think he wants to leave, it would be that Rutten is offering him a 4 year deal as a 28yo.
But that doesnt make sense when you really break it down..

so lets say he’s on $700k a year now (some actually claim its closer to $800k and that old DT is a really shrewed opperator when it comes to getting every drop out of the club!) and thus will earn $700k next year if he stays at Adelaide.

He will then get at the very least another two year contract you’d think on $500k a year with the crows if his current form continues or slightly wanes with age.

so he stays here and earns 1.7m over the next three years.

then he may even get another final year on a little bit less again if his body and form hold up.

What would the dons have to offer over 4 years to make it worth his while to even bother considering a move?..

you’d think it would want to be in the vicinity of $550-$600k a year..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back