Retired Daniel Talia [retired]

Remove this Banner Ad

He's an UFA, he's not being traded unless the destination club didn't want to hurt their FA compo pick.
The AFL article says delisted, but you're right – he won't be delisted until the list lodgement dates in October. Until then he's still eligible as a UFA.

So his current choices are:
  • Unrestricted Free Agency – This is the earliest opportunity to move, with the free agency period opening before the trade period. Choose a club and sign with them, Adelaide gets no say in it, but may receive compensation depending on the contract and fancy formula. Isaac Smith netted Hawthorn a Band 5 pick as a 31 year old last year, for example. There are more examples here and the formula breakdown is here.
  • Trade – Choose a club, Adelaide and chosen club negotiate a deal, etc. As you said, only likely if the destination club are getting a compo pick and don't want to lose it, otherwise they'll just move him via UFA.
  • Delisted Free Agency – After the trade period, before the draft, there are two windows for DFAs to move (one after each list lodgement date). I think there's a third window after the draft as well. No compensation for Adelaide through that process.
  • Draft – He can theoretically nominate for the draft, but why the heck would he want to do that? Zero benefit for anyone involved.
  • Supplemental Selection Period – last ditch option if no one wants him straight away on their senior list. This will put him on a rookie list sometime over the summer.

The year that Tigers drop off, Dogs and Demons ascend. I think at least one of those goes again next year. sh*t timing.
Dogs and demons aren't going away. Port and Brisbane on the up. Tigers probably have one or two good swings left. I think the comp is pretty strong. Never complain that the oppo is too strong

Considering hes still in rehab nobody would expect him to be passing any medical so not sure on the accuracy of that one.

He's not in rehab, he's been back in work since around May. Based on quotes from him, they've done everything required in a medical sense but for some reason his foot blows up still after working it. He said they don't know why it's happening but the plan was to just keep going and see if it stops blowing up. More recently, after the no contract announcement, he said he's running 10 clickers with no mention of how he recovers. In his situation, you'd think a medical would include a fitness test followed by a repeat a day or so later. I think he's going to struggle. Playing out the last half of 2020 on that torn meniscus that compressed his 2021 preparation looks like it may end up having contributed to ending his career.

Tigers going with Tarrant is not a good sign no matter how it's looked at.

He's not in rehab, he's been back in work since around May. Based on quotes from him, they've done everything required in a medical sense but for some reason his foot blows up still after working it. He said they don't know why it's happening but the plan was to just keep going and see if it stops blowing up. More recently, after the no contract announcement, he said he's running 10 clickers with no mention of how he recovers. In his situation, you'd think a medical would include a fitness test followed by a repeat a day or so later. I think he's going to struggle. Playing out the last half of 2020 on that torn meniscus that compressed his 2021 preparation looks like it may end up having contributed to ending his career.

Tigers going with Tarrant is not a good sign no matter how it's looked at.

Geelong has taken a punt on players for less. Get him for cheap and no picks needed. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they give it a go.

Geelong has taken a punt on players for less. Get him for cheap and no picks needed. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they give it a go.

Once Talia accepts he's 'cheap', he'll be a worthwhile acquisition. If he was medicalled and accepted $250k, we'd have not punted him and Tigers wouldn't have gone with Tarrant. Sloane, Lynch, Gibbs and Walker aren't the only reasons we won a spoon with a maxed cap at the Crows. Talia a gun extractor of $ as well. If he's fit according to a medical, then he's demanding $600k x 2 years, take it or leave it. Might be $550k now though.

Once Talia accepts he's 'cheap', he'll be a worthwhile acquisition. If he was medicalled and accepted $250k, we'd have not punted him and Tigers wouldn't have gone with Tarrant. Sloane, Lynch, Gibbs and Walker aren't the only reasons we won a spoon with a maxed cap at the Crows. Talia a gun extractor of $ as well. If he's fit according to a medical, then he's demanding $600k x 2 years, take it or leave it. Might be $550k now though.
Never heard of an effectively delisted player netting those kinds of terms.

Lol

Not sure if you are having a laugh, but if not, I call bullshit.

Never heard of an effectively delisted player netting those kinds of terms.

If he had a reasonable position on contract value he'd have penned a new deal with us. Lynch no different. Both boys last contracts at our highest level under Sloane. Both highly regarded as leaders at a club that values leadership ahead of actual performance. Both falling flat in the hunt for a new contributor. We had a contract in front of David Frurqing Mackay that HE DECLINED. No way we just don't offer either of these guys something we thought reasonable. When initials discussions fail to get near an agreeable ballpark, you just walk away.

Talia's starting point is most certainly at those kind of terms. Lynch not too different.

If he had a reasonable position on contract value he'd have penned a new deal with us. Lynch no different. Both boys last contracts at our highest level under Sloane. Both highly regarded as leaders at a club that values leadership ahead of actual performance. Both falling flat in the hunt for a new contributor. We had a contract in front of David Frurqing Mackay that HE DECLINED. No way we just don't offer either of these guys something we thought reasonable. When initials discussions fail to get near an agreeable ballpark, you just walk away.

Talia's starting point is most certainly at those kind of terms. Lynch not too different.
There'd only be a small handful of players at each club on that.

I doubt he and his manager are that stupid to even consider asking for that contract.

There'd only be a small handful of players at each club on that.

I doubt he and his manager are that stupid to even consider asking for that contract.

Talia is known for driving a very hard bargain. Which he's entitled to do and delivered against. I'd prefer to * off sloane and keep him all day every day. Recalibrating from what he'd expect from Adelaide to what he's worth on th3 open market wouldn't be a single step. Plus, there's a question as to injury risk discount and what % he's prepared to cop.

Being linked to Tigers and the next we hear is Tarrant signing on suggests a fair bit to me. But I'm a conspiracy theorist by nature. Noting not moon landing, 5G type lunacy, just this level stuff. Cats will look and they will pass. There's more wrong with Talia than his foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Talia is known for driving a very hard bargain. Which he's entitled to do and delivered against. I'd prefer to fu** off sloane and keep him all day every day. Recalibrating from what he'd expect from Adelaide to what he's worth on th3 open market wouldn't be a single step. Plus, there's a question as to injury risk discount and what % he's prepared to cop.

Being linked to Tigers and the next we hear is Tarrant signing on suggests a fair bit to me. But I'm a conspiracy theorist by nature. Noting not moon landing, 5G type lunacy, just this level stuff. Cats will look and they will pass. There's more wrong with Talia than his foot.
I'm sure if your conspiricy is correct we will hear it in the media sooner or later.

There is no way a washed up 29 year old backman asking clubs for 600k wouldn't get leaked to the media.

McKernan 31
Frawley 32
Geary 33
Carlisle 29
Roberton 30

Non of which are best 22 players and 4/5 are now retired.
Ryder 34 is the only one best 22

Geelong on the other hand had 11 30+ Year olds playing last week and 2 29+ 🥴
aussierulesrules and StCicatriz , this sounds like a Rossy Lyon youf policy to me. lol

Wouldn’t be surprised if Geelong went after him for a final crack at the flag in 2022. Don’t like the ramifications though as would likely retire Henderson and lose Krueger.

Pretty much this, It's certainly fair enough if Talia doesn't feel like going to a BnF for a club that has surprisingly (well, somewhat) dumped him.

I assume there is a lot of processing that needs to be done here with Daniel, seeing without a doubt his world has been rocked in the last fortnight.

I think the issue was Daniel Talia got a lot of injuries this season.

Had he played 15-20 games this season, he definately would of got a 1, even possibly a 2 year extension.

Then Again, your team has guys that are tall defenders in Tom Dodee, Josh Worrell, Fisher McAsey and Jordan Butts.

I rate Dodee out of all 4 of those tall defenders on the list. Only 188 cm. I always thought he was 192-194 cm. Can Play CHB or 3rd tall in a back flank or back pocket. A 1st rounder in the 2015 draft. Suprised he has only played 51 games from 2016-2021. Didnt play any AFL games in 2016 or 2017. Finally got a debut game in 2018 and played 20 games. Then sadly did his knee in the opening round of 2019. even though he has played 51 games out of 132 games, he is an important cog in the backline for the crows.

Josh Worrell is 195 cm and is a swingman. Only played one game and that was vs the saints when the crows won despite being 5-6 goals down.

Fisher McAsey is 197 cm and 90 kg. Played 10 AFL games in his debut season in 2020. yet didnt play an AFL game in 2021. I am going to assume he was injured for a fair bit of the season. His name was constantly in the team sheet in the crows SANFL side late in the season.

Jordan Butts is 198cm and 80 kg. Played 2 games in 2020 and all 22 games in 2021.

Looking at it the crows list of tall defenders. Would Talia got many games in 2022 if he was still on the list? Probably not. You would Happily rotate him as experienced depth. Even then, had Talia played all 22 games in 2022, he would play full back, Dodee would play as a 3rd tall in the back pocket or back flank. then Worrell, McAsey and Butts would rotate each week at CHB and possibly bench.

So you think your club is lying when it says it declined to offer him a contract?

There are genuine list management reasons why you wouldn't offer him a contract even at low money. He isn't in your next flag, he wasn't needed this year, dropping him back in just robs the backline you had this year of games which is more beneficial than anything that even a fit and cheap Talia adds.

Is this going to be another Brad Crouch thread? Because while that one was pretty wildly entertaining I'd have thought the embarrassment would have made your fans gun shy.

Talia is known for driving a very hard bargain. Which he's entitled to do and delivered against. I'd prefer to fu** off sloane and keep him all day every day. Recalibrating from what he'd expect from Adelaide to what he's worth on th3 open market wouldn't be a single step. Plus, there's a question as to injury risk discount and what % he's prepared to cop.

We might pass but I think we'd be looking at him half as a cheap development coach for Kreuger and SDK than anything

I'm sure if your conspiricy is correct we will hear it in the media sooner or later.

There is no way a washed up 29 year old backman asking clubs for 600k wouldn't get leaked to the media.
1970 is a bit of a conspiracy thinker.

He has a narrative in his mind for why decisions are made, and that's that.

The idea that the Crows maybe needed to cut a few senior players this year (ie what actually happened) to be able to actually make draft picks and give opportunity seems less likely to him that the idea that we're desperate to re-sign every aging player.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t be surprised if Geelong went after him for a final crack at the flag in 2022. Don’t like the ramifications though as would likely retire Henderson and lose Krueger.
Not sure who you guys are looking to bring in, but after watching Henderson in the finals I'd be shocked if his goose isn't already cooked.

Hendo has been a warrior but I think he'll hang up the boots. Kreuger in for me

Doesn't Kreuger want out/requesting a trade or is that just media speculation?

I agree that Geelong are better off keeping NK and getting games into him rather than an injury plagued but admittedly great defender in Talia.

I think the issue was Daniel Talia got a lot of injuries this season.

Had he played 15-20 games this season, he definately would of got a 1, even possibly a 2 year extension.

Then Again, your team has guys that are tall defenders in Tom Dodee, Josh Worrell, Fisher McAsey and Jordan Butts.

I rate Dodee out of all 4 of those tall defenders on the list. Only 188 cm. I always thought he was 192-194 cm. Can Play CHB or 3rd tall in a back flank or back pocket. A 1st rounder in the 2015 draft. Suprised he has only played 51 games from 2016-2021. Didnt play any AFL games in 2016 or 2017. Finally got a debut game in 2018 and played 20 games. Then sadly did his knee in the opening round of 2019. even though he has played 51 games out of 132 games, he is an important cog in the backline for the crows.

Josh Worrell is 195 cm and is a swingman. Only played one game and that was vs the saints when the crows won despite being 5-6 goals down.

Fisher McAsey is 197 cm and 90 kg. Played 10 AFL games in his debut season in 2020. yet didnt play an AFL game in 2021. I am going to assume he was injured for a fair bit of the season. His name was constantly in the team sheet in the crows SANFL side late in the season.

Jordan Butts is 198cm and 80 kg. Played 2 games in 2020 and all 22 games in 2021.

Looking at it the crows list of tall defenders. Would Talia got many games in 2022 if he was still on the list? Probably not. You would Happily rotate him as experienced depth. Even then, had Talia played all 22 games in 2022, he would play full back, Dodee would play as a 3rd tall in the back pocket or back flank. then Worrell, McAsey and Butts would rotate each week at CHB and possibly bench.
Freomaniac you also forgot Nick Murray who played for a good chunk of the season at CHB and seems to sit above McAsey (and previously Talia) in the pecking order. The other one is Billy Frampton who was repurposed as a KPD in the last part of the season and snuck in for a couple of AFL matches which were surprisingly passable given his previous record at the level.
In short, no champions on that list but we do have pretty good depth in that area (even after losing Keath and Hartigan in prior seasons) and Talia just wasn't an option given his injury and age profile against our need to rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back